We will know in the upcoming offseason if this is Dak's last year

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He is not getting an extension. His base salary will be converted to a signing bonus to kick the can down the road. There will come a time when we are paying him 50 million and he will no longer be on the team. Good times.

NotForLong

Reaction score
While the cap hit of near $50M is a lot, the fact is by designating BOTH Tyron Smith and Zeke as post-June 1st release players Dallas can save nearly $24.6M against the 2023 cap (splitting their combined $19.8M in dead money between 2023 & 2024).
Then add in restructuring Zack Martin's deal (which has a 2023 cap hit of $19.8M) and Dallas could free up an additional $10M for 2023. Lastly, and while not a fan of his at all, if Dallas were to restructure Demarcus Lawrence's deal which has a 2023 cap hit of $26M there could be another $10M to be saved toward 2023.

So with 2 post-June 1st release candidates and 2 player restructures Dallas would create an additional $44.6M toward the 2023 season. This would allow Dallas to bring back some key players (ex. Pollard, McGovern, Wilson) while possibly bringing in a free agent or three.

The fact is Dallas does not have to restructure Dak's deal but rather do what it needs to do be done to put all the pressure on Dak in a make it or break it 2023 season.
If Dak doesn't get the job done then you go to him at the end of the season and say "Dak, you have a 2024 salary cap hit of $52.1M with $39.9M in dead money. We have gone as far as we can with you as the starting QB so either you remove your no-trade clause and we find a better fitting team for you as their starting QB or we simply release you and call it a day."
I say call it a day

TexasBacon

Reaction score
2023 is his only Guaranteed money year which amounts to 31 million and 49 million against the Cap.
2024 he has 0 Guaranteed cash and his cap hit is 51 million.

There really is no decision here after last season's debacle that an extension is equivalent to NFL suicide.
If one is given then blow it up as the aftershock of this will be a major fan loss and a divided team in turmoil as the locker room will at some point explode!
I fear Daks going away present to the franchise that made him a very rich man will be 2 upcoming very dismal seasons for us.

Patience as we will know within the next 3 months give or take which direction our team is heading.

I think they'll have to extend him to avoid that giant cap hit but I hope if they do they take out the no trade clause....

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
They will extend him.
Yup.

In all honestly, if we want the Cowboys to have a real shot in future years from now, the best thing that could happen is Dak be so horrible that they can't justify extending him.

Yeah, I said it. If we lose a few games then so be it. I'd rather the Cowboys take the QB position seriously enough that gives this team a real shot over wasting more years on a guy that everyone knows can't get it done.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup.

In all honestly, if we want the Cowboys to have a real shot in future years from now, the best thing that could happen is Dak be so horrible that they can't justify extending him.

Yeah, I said it. If we lose a few games then so be it. I'd rather the Cowboys take the QB position seriously enough that gives this team a real shot over wasting more years on a guy that everyone knows can't get it done.
Yeah but the hay's in the barn. That extension is coming before FA starts. Prescott doesn't have any more games to convince them otherwise.

JBS

Reaction score
Yup.

If they extend him or even restructure him then it doesn’t matter how poorly he plays. They will be stuck w him. I remember when you were adamant that this was Daks last season in Dallas (2022). There was never a chance that that was happening. But they’ve dug themselves into a deep hole. They’re in big trouble w this contract.

offlimits

Reaction score
The Cowboys have already begun he 1st phase of the Dak reclamation project by moving on from Moore. I don't see 2023 being Dak's last year. Half the league at best has a QB they consider their guy and Dak consistently ranks in or near top 10 at the position. I am not a big Dak supporter, but you have to understand the landscape and whether or not there is a real opportunity to improve. It's also important to remember who the GM is what he considers to be a worthy draft pick at QB (Johnny Football anyone?).

Throwing darts at a draft board hoping you find the next Kurt Warner is a losing proposition out of the gate. Unless the Cowboys blow it all up, get rid of everyone for draft picks and then tank to get the #1 pick in 2024, and HOPE to land a winner, I don't see a logical way to imminently move on from Dak. By all means they should be drafting/signing QBs every year to at least see if they can hit on something.
So what you're really saying is that you'll just accept meh and never win another ring?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
So what you're really saying is that you'll just accept meh and never win another ring?
If a workable alternative is presented I am all for it. I hope the Cowboys are pitching better solutions than I have seen here.

offlimits

Reaction score
Yup.

Lots of good QB prospects in this upcoming NFL draft. Go get one... maybe the 3rd if your guy is there.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I don't envy management when it comes to this decision.

It's like having to decide to spend 5k on your old dog in the hopes of buying another year of a not so great life, or facing the reality of the situation.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I hope they restructure him.....just because I enjoy reading the hate! Come to think about, you guys will hate the next guy too.
:muttley::laugh::muttley:
Im kinda hoping for a half-measure, because those usually work out well lol.

There’s some knowledgeable folks around here, but other than that guy from long ago JT whatever….I don’t think anyone around here fully understands the cap and the options the team has.

My best guess is the kid wants to manage things to where we can compete now, yet not be in a totally crippling spot down the road. That’s what they in some parts refer to as the aforementioned half measure lol.

With a ‘Jerry being old’ exception or two aside likely coming soon, I expect the Cowboys to be run exactly that way for the foreseeable future.

So, they’d better have a coaching advantage, something we probably can’t get while Jerry is still around, but I suppose we can hope happens down the road. The big difference between father and son….I don’t think Stephen has the desire to stand on the sidelines, nor feels the need to be in a spot to take every single ounce of credit. Stephen isn’t fueled by the Jimmy getting credit deal.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So you take a legitimate thread topic and hurl your typical BS insults toward members.....all because they dare question your precious Dak? Grow up already.
Another Dak troll who never posts anything but Dak hate.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don’t see it. Mike and company are here to win and without a QB in the wings I just don’t think it happens. They need to draft a QB however no matter the situation. The last one we drafted was Nooch and he never developed at all.
Ben DiNucci is now a QB for Seattle Sea Dragons - a new franchise for the restart of the XFL.
BTW - the XFL season starts the Saturday following Super Bowl Sunday.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you would extend yourself to a ball and chain just to spite the "haters?"
There is no hate. No one hates Dak. Valid criticism isn't hate.
Get a grip....it's a joke...but, I do hate the haters....especially those that never strapped it on.