CFZ We will win Sunday because Hurts is not good

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Brady, Burrow and Staffird all struggled with this defense and they re all at least twice the qb Hurts is.

Hurts has 4 tds in 5 games and 3 of those came in one game. Tells me he is struggling when coverage gets tighter.

He will not have seen a defense like we are about to unleash on him. This will not be Minny where they sat in a soft zone all game.

Brady, Burrow and Stafford don’t play for teams that have played as well as Philly. None of those QBs are as mobile as Hurts. As we found out the past four games you don’t have to have a great QB if you have a great defense. I wouldn’t sell Hurts short he has gotten better and mobile QBs have given the Cowboys trouble. Daniel Jones had 79 yards rushing against us. If Philly is able to run the ball we’re going to be in real trouble. If we get down by more than a TD it’s going to be a tough hill to climb with our offense. The Cowboys having to play from behind will expose Cooper Rush.

Sydla

Reaction score
is this sarcasm or do you believe that?

Hurts currently is Top 5 on most betting sites for MVP. He’s had a very good start to this season.

It’s kind of stupid to try to argue he’s not very good right now.

The irony here is if we win Sunday the same people saying he stinks will be touting our win and how the defense shut down a great offense.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jalen Hurts is simply an average quarterback. AI have seen every Eagles game. Here are some stats and what they mean, based on the eye test.

Hurts have generated 10 touchdowns this season. Four have been through the air, six from him running. He has thrown for 1,359 yards. In contrast, loom at other NFCE Qb's. Coop has seven touchdowns on only 839 yards passing. Wentz has ten touchdowns on 1,390 yards passing (with a lot more turnovers). I'll leave Jones out of this, as his numbers are a horror story. Why is this? Simple: when it counts, Hurts can't find his receivers. Last year, Hurts had more time in the pocket to throw (3.5 secs) than any QB in the league. The numbers are probably very similar this year. Hurts does not read defenses well. I can't count how many times I have seen wide open receivers in Eagle games never get the ball. Brady would set new records under those conditions. I can't recall Hurts ever getting to his third look before bailing out on a play.

Hurts makes plays with his legs. That's good for him, because when defenses break down in the secondary, more often than not Hurts is running and not seeing someone streaking across the field open. Brown, Smith, Goedart, and Watkins can run. They don't have any turtles out there running routes. But even fast guys are useless without the ball.

Hurts has six rushing touchdowns. Some are designed runs, some are not. He simply isn't good in the red zone. Defenses shut him down, so he has to run.

Hurts has been sacked 11 times this year. Some of those are because he didn't see the open man and had to run. He has two int's and two fumbles this year. Considering how much he runs, the fumble number is quite good.

This bodes well for our defense. Mailata will probably play but will be nowhere at 100%. Kelce may be out with an ankle issue, so their rookie will probably play--if not, we get a wounded Kelce. Seumalo, their right guard, is also banged up. Our defense can put pressure all game long on a QB who doesn't see the field. We know the most important position on the field is QB. Hurts can't run all game long against our defense. Our defense generally doesn't leave receivers running wild all game.

Contain Hurts, make him do something he has not shown that he can do, which is read the defense and make the play. We will win this game in their backyard by double digits folks. Hurts is not good enough to beat this team.

I will swim in Eagle tears Monday morning.
Hurts hasn't seen the fury that is going to be unleashed.
Hurts is seeing visions of Parsons in his sleep.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Sunday night will show exactly how much Hurts has improved. He’s rarely been asked to do the traditional drop back passing bit. He’s struggled against the blitz. Both are red flags when it comes to his ability to read a defense.

But…

It hasn’t cost them yet.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Hurts currently is Top 5 on most betting sites for MVP. He’s had a very good start to this season.

It’s kind of stupid to try to argue he’s not very good right now.

The irony here is if we win Sunday the same people saying he stinks will be touting our win and how the defense shut down a great offense.
Sydla - Don’t muddy up the irrational emotional-based opinions with facts.

Praxit

Reaction score
Sunday night will show exactly how much Hurts has improved. He’s rarely been asked to do the traditional drop back passing bit. He’s struggled against the blitz. Both are red flags when it comes to his ability to read a defense.

But…

It hasn’t cost them yet.

..haha.. good points taken. Let's see how he does with constant pressure.

Because its a tough experience for any QB. The mistakes usually follow.

They will probably get few big plays. Dallas has been able to recoup rather quickly.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I agree that Hurts is not great but Philly is managing him like we are managing Cooper. Honestly, I think we have a great chance to steal this game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jalen Hurts has clearly improved. His completion percentage and passer rating are way up. Threads like this usually backfire. Hopefully this post doesn’t come back to haunt you on Sunday night.

I'm hoping we can get some pressure on him and force some mistakes, but it will be a good test of our defense. If their line is not hampered by injuries, it will probably easily be the best offensive line we'll face. I'm not sold on Hurts being a great QB, but he's doing enough for the Eagles to be 5-0.

Like with us, though, the defense seems to be the main driving force for them. They've held two teams under 10 and one under 20. So I may be a little more concerned with our offense being able to score enough than our defense being able to limit Hurts and the Philly offense. He may not have to do a whole lot to beat us.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Hurts hasn't seen the fury that is going to be unleashed.
Hurts is seeing visions of Parsons in his sleep.
I've been seeing my mother, disappointed in me lately.
I don't know why.
Maybe TMI.

Maybe I wanted to rhyme.

Zman5

Reaction score
Here is my post from another thread.

Another stat the media keep touting is Hurt's YPA which is 8.5 and ranked 2nd so far this year. If you look at it closer. that stat is misleading.
His air yards per completion is 5.8 yards and YAC per completion is 6.7 yard. Rush's air yards per completion is 6.8yard and YAC per completions is 4.8yards.

Rush throws it farther down the field and Hurt's gets all his yards from dinking it to his receivers who gets tons of YAC. People complain about Dak being dink and dunk QB yet his career numbers are better than Hurts. Yet Hurts is a front runner MVP and people say Dak sucks.

Here are numbers for the top 5 YPA QBs for comparison. It's clear, Hurts is truly a dink and dunk QB who's passing stat looks better due to his receivers getting big YAC.
Code:
                         Air Yards       YAC/PA
1.Tua                     7.6             5.3
2. J. Hurts               5.8             6.7
3. J. Allen               7.0             5.4
4. Geno Smith             7.1             3.9
5.  Mac Jones             7.9             4.4

C Rush                    6.8             4.8
Dak(career)               6.5             5.1

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can get some pressure on him and force some mistakes, but it will be a good test of our defense. If their line is not hampered by injuries, it will probably easily be the best offensive line we'll face. I'm not sold on Hurts being a great QB, but he's doing enough for the Eagles to be 5-0.

Like with us, though, the defense seems to be the main driving force for them. They've held two teams under 10 and one under 20. So I may be a little more concerned with our offense being able to score enough than our defense being able to limit Hurts and the Philly offense. He may not have to do a whole lot to beat us.

Under pressure his passer rating is barely 80.0. We just have to be sure to keep him from running for first downs. Philly will feed off their crowd which is going to be in a frenzy for this game. This is the biggest game in the NFL so far. Two red hot division rivals going at it on a Sunday night. I’m also concerned about our offense not being able to score enough points. They have a real strong defense and I just can’t see us pounding the ball at them like we did the Rams. We’re probably going to have to open it up a little in the passing game if we’re going to score enough. We just can’t afford to turn the ball over giving our defense a short field.

RonWashington

Reaction score
How did Philly get into a tight game against a Jacksonville team that lost to the Texans ? Something suspicious about that . Sure MM DQ and KM were poring over the Jaquars Philly film.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Under pressure his passer rating is barely 80.0. We just have to be sure to keep him from running for first downs. Philly will feed off their crowd which is going to be in a frenzy for this game. This is the biggest game in the NFL so far. Two red hot division rivals going at it on a Sunday night. I’m also concerned about our offense not being able to score enough points. They have a real strong defense and I just can’t see us pounding the ball at them like we did the Rams. We’re probably going to have to open it up a little in the passing game if we’re going to score enough. We just can’t afford to turn the ball over giving our defense a short field.

I think like with Daniel Jones we're not going to be overly concerned if he has a few runs against us, the key will be to keep pressure on him and make him make mistakes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think like with Daniel Jones we're not going to be overly concerned if he has a few runs against us, the key will be to keep pressure on him and make him make mistakes.

We certainly can’t afford to allow him to make plays with his legs with the game on the line in the fourth quarter. We may spy on him with Parsons. Some of those runs Daniel Jones had kept them in the game.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We certainly can’t afford to allow him to make plays with his legs with the game on the line in the fourth quarter. We may spy on him with Parsons. Some of those runs Daniel Jones had kept them in the game.

But they only scored 16 points. It's very doubtful we're going to hold the Eagles to fewer than that. We might hold them under 20, but we're probably going to need 21 or better to win. That's why I'm more concerned about our offense being able to score 21 against their defense. Maybe we can get at least one defensive score if we can pressure Hurts into a mistake.

Bagman

Reaction score
My fear isnt what Hurts can do against us. My fear is he gets 42 minutes of possession because the Dallas offense has 6-7 three and outs. Even an average QB will generate some offense with that kind of time advantage.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
But they only scored 16 points. It's very doubtful we're going to hold the Eagles to fewer than that. We might hold them under 20, but we're probably going to need 21 or better to win. That's why I'm more concerned about our offense being able to score 21 against their defense. Maybe we can get at least one defensive score if we can pressure Hurts into a mistake.

I think it’s going to take more than 20 to beat them.