News: Weakest running back groups: Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots

morasp

Reaction score
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
  • Published: June 2, 2015 at 09:25 p.m.
  • Updated: June 4, 2015 at 10:14 a.m.

Joseph Randle showed plenty of burst in limited work last year and broke more tackles than expected. He's not just a product of the Cowboys' system. But Randle would be better off splitting carries, and Raiders castoff Darren McFadden hasn't showed any juice in years. It wouldn't be a surprise if McFadden is out of the league next season. The Cowboys should look hard at the running backs cut by other teams in camp, or think about giving up a late round pick for a better veteran who could split snaps with Randle.

The Patriots have won plenty of games with rag-tag running back groups before (Sammy Morris and LaMont Jordan sound familiar?), and their system will create yards. But LeGarrette Blount has a limited skill set and is stretched as a starter over the course of an entire season. With Blount suspended for the opener, the Week 1 starter could be Jonas Gray, James White or Brandon Bolden. Put this group on another roster and they would flail.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495380/article/weakest-offensive-position-groups

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
But on these rosters they will be aight...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't take offense to it because there's really not much fact to support any position refuting it. Can't rail against something that's true. For a team that looks as well-stocked at so many other positions, the obvious question marks at running back only seem more apparent.

When a team loses the league's leading rusher - to a divisional rival no less - that is obviously going to be a major storyline and point of emphasis. Add to that fact that the team didn't draft anyone, and the question only grow more numerous.

A lot of positions look great on this team, with quality starters and good depth, but those that don't, like running back and safety, stand out.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't take offense to it because there's really not much fact to support any position refuting it. Can't rail against something that's true. For a team that looks as well-stocked at so many other positions, the obvious question marks at running back only seem more apparent.

When a team loses the league's leading rusher - to a divisional rival no less - that is obviously going to be a major storyline and point of emphasis. Add to that fact that the team didn't draft anyone, and the question only grow more numerous.

A lot of positions look great on this team, with quality starters and good depth, but those that don't, like running back and safety, stand out.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Anytime you have a RB-by-committee approach and half of your committee has a convincing history of being injury prone, it raises serious questions.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Love it. Making the online mad. They're going to show they played a BIG part in the rushing leaders success.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know, there is something to be said on having fresh legs in the backfield on every play. I'm not worried. Not with this OL.

How many yards did Murray have last year before he was even touched?

VACowboy

Reaction score
Writers have to write and we have to talk about something, but a lot remains to be seen--pretty much everything.

I'll wait and see before I go getting my knickers in a wad.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I don't know, there is something to be said on having fresh legs in the backfield on every play. I'm not worried. Not with this OL.

How many yards did Murray have last year before he was even touched?

It can be a bit dangerous to look at Murray last year and assume his success was all due to the OL.

Murray averaged more per carry in 2011 (5.5) and 2013 (5.2) with much less talented Dallas OLs than he did last year (4.7).

If the OL was the primary contributor to Murray's success, why did his ypc decline vs earlier in his career?

Aven8

Reaction score
The only think we are missing in any of our RB's IMO is that battling ram type. Demarco was that. That's the only reason I am worried. Dunbar and Randle may run for a 90 yard TD, but can they knock that LB on his back on 3rd and 3?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The only think we are missing in any of our RB's IMO is that battling ram type. Demarco was that. That's the only reason I am worried. Dunbar and Randle may run for a 90 yard TD, but can they knock that LB on his back on 3rd and 3?

Ryan Williams will run somebody over. He's not afraid of contact and mixing it up.

He'll definitely fight for every yard after contact.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
What are the chances of someone getting cut at this point being better than what we already have? If Joseph Randle or McFadden were cut today they'd probably be the best backs out there on the market.
You never know till the last cut what player may pop out there.
You never know if there is an injury to someone in the current RB group.
You never know if one of the group lacks what the Cowboys are looking for.

That is why you keep your options open.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
It can be a bit dangerous to look at Murray last year and assume his success was all due to the OL.

Murray averaged more per carry in 2011 (5.5) and 2013 (5.2) with much less talented Dallas OLs than he did last year (4.7).

If the OL was the primary contributor to Murray's success, why did his ypc decline vs earlier in his career?

Considering we consistently threw the ball 75-80% of the time, there was some inflated stats by Murray, much like Randle's limited carries last year. The pass set up the run with many of those runs coming off play-action draw plays, ala trickery. So the opportunity to break a long gainer was more prevalent.

I still believe Murray was a good back, just not anything special.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This will be the topic all off season, well, this and how a certain RB will still be coming here, or to one mediot declaring it a catastrophe....that's ok, let them focus on what they think will be a weak link....And I can't blame them to a degree. As it needs to be shown on the field. But no one [media] will say it's possible it can be very good though either. Not in the media hate. But so be it.

Meanwhile the Defense, which many will still down play, as last year they had us being worse than the previous year. Anyway, the D will be in the background of it all, getting better and then whipping up on some QB's while the running game will surprise everyone.