News: Weakest running back groups: Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Lol. You have no idea if it will work or not in Philadelphia with what they have.

The top two rbs on their depth chart have an extensive history of injury, but go ahead and and keep assuming that they'll stay healthy all year like the mediots are doing.

I'll take our situation with our young, talented offensive line over their college style high turnover crap any day of the week a definitely on Sundays.

Their "college style" offense still had an RB rush for over 1,000 yards two years in a row, and they used Sproles effectively as well. And I'll take Murray, Mathews, and Sproles over this group of bums and underachievers.

sideon

Reaction score
While also giving us over 1,800 yards rushing and 500 yards in receiving. I'll take his bad blocking (Still something no one has really looked into all that much) since he was beasting in both running and receiving.

And you kinda went off-topic. Who you replied to stated having an RB that can get the short yards for us and knocking over defenders, you then post a link showing McFadden hitting a defender illegally. Just wasn't the same. I mean, I'm sure there is a highlight out there that shows McFadden at one point knocking over a defender on a run, that just wasn't it.

And really, I don't care how good McFadden's blocking is because he'll most likely be sitting on the bench for 6-8 games due to a hammy injury or his ankles will get blown out at some point.
I posted that video because it showed McFadden delivering a hit to a defender, it doesn't matter if it was illegal it showed how much pop he has when he lays someone out. The media and fans have turned Murray into this incredible hulk type player which he wasn't, there are plenty of backs who can convert 3rd & 2 but we don't pay attention because they're not Cowboys.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't match last season's totals, but the team did offer Murray $6 million a season............which would have put Murray in the top 5 salaries of RBs in the NFL...................so the team obviously viewed Murray as a top 5 back himself, not just a product of the offensive line.

Its like I said from day 1....................if Randle and McFadden can do just as good a job as Murray, why did they offer Murray $6 million a season to stay? If Murray's production was mainly due to the offensive line opening up huge holes, why was the team going to pay Murray top 5 money in that case?

See, these two facts have never been answered in this whole RB debate. I really don't care which side anybody is on, but can somebody please answer the question of why the team was willing to pay Murray "top 5 RB money" to stay in Dallas if his production was mainly due to the offensive line. (keep in mind also that other than McFadden, all the other RBs currently on the roster were on the roster when Murray was offered $6 million a season).

They only offered 12M guaranteed. His guaranteed money and apy were below: AD, Lynch, McCoy, Forte, Stewart and Charles. So it wasn't top 5 money and it wasn't a big offer. And remember outside of McCoy all those contracts were older and given when the cap was smaller. That means teams were committing not only larger dollars but a larger percent of their cap to those backs than we were willing to do for Murray.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They only offered 12M guaranteed. His guaranteed money and apy were below: AD, Lynch, McCoy, Forte, Stewart and Charles. So it wasn't top 5 money and it wasn't a big offer. And remember outside of McCoy all those contracts were older and given when the cap was smaller. That means teams were committing not only larger dollars but a larger percent of their cap to those backs than we were willing to do for Murray.

Yep.

Plus I think the team still errs on the side of "Hey, he's one of ours, let's pay him a little more than what we think he's actually worth."

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I posted that video because it showed McFadden delivering a hit to a defender, it doesn't matter if it was illegal it showed how much pop he has when he lays someone out. The media and fans have turned Murray into this incredible hulk type player which he wasn't, there are plenty of backs who can convert 3rd & 2 but we don't pay attention because they're not Cowboys.

Agreed. The impression many give is that Murray is about 6'10 and 400lbs.

I look at the number of touches that Murray had between his carries and receptions and I think the 13 TD's was very much on the low side which tells me he wasn't "hulk-enough" to get into the end-zone as often as he should/could have.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

It DOES matter. Jesus, the defender wasn't even bracing for the hit. He was getting into coverage, McFadden laid him out. It matters. It wasn't McFadden rushing up the middle and him laying out an LB trying to make a tackle.

I'm not sure why you think that video proved anything.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Their "college style" offense still had an RB rush for over 1,000 yards two years in a row, and they used Sproles effectively as well. And I'll take Murray, Mathews, and Sproles over this group of bums and underachievers.

I'll remember u said that after multiple injury report stints buddy