News: Weakest running back groups: Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots

superonyx

Reaction score
You never know till the last cut what player may pop out there.
You never know if there is an injury to someone in the current RB group.
You never know if one of the group lacks what the Cowboys are looking for.

That is why you keep your options open.

Free agency and the draft are for all practical purposes over now. (CJ2k still wants to be hollered at).
We are a team that is a serious super bowl contender. We were the number 2 ranked rushing team in the league who featured the AP Offensive Player of the Year.
I don't want another teams trash. You don't go from what we were a couple of months ago to hoping some inferior team cuts lose a player they realize isn't good enough.

I am hoping our front office and coaches really have the confidence in the backs we have or they go out and trade for a quality back....no waiver wire garbage. That scares me.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Weakest running back group does not trump having the best line. We have NFL caliber running backs who should be able to run behind this line. Murray was just another guy who excelled once we improved the line.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Amazing. Two years ago it was all about the "passing league."

Dallas doesn't overpay for a free agent running back and now articles about running backs are everywhere.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
I think this group of RBs is going to surprise a lot of people. Much like the team did last season. We're used to getting unfriendly banter from the media every year and that will never change. They won't be dominant. But they'll be adequate.

The Cowboys have effectively transformed one or two position groups a year now. I fully expect RB to be one of those positions we address in 2016. With this Offensive Line, I think it's highly unlikely that we don't put a star RB behind it in the very near future. Losing Murray and not having the back "We Wanted" fall to us is just a matter of circumstance. Now with the defense shored up, we can focus on getting him next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if only one of the 4 backs we have on the team now actually dresses next season. I see us picking one up in the draft, another in FA or via trade and retaining one on the team, with one on the practice squad. IMO, Williams' health and Dunbar's performance will have a lot to do with who challenges Randle and McFadden for the third spot. But I see our RB core looking a lot different next year, although I believe they'll be serviceable this season.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We're alone in a category with the reigning Super Bowl champs?

Awesome.

The only difference NE's won championships with rag tag RB's and the Cowboys haven't.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Despite NE's RB's and WR's over the past 15 years and having some average defenses they compete for championships every year due to Brady and Belichick. The Cowboys have never even reached a conference title game without having an elite back.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
WHO is Gregg Rosenthal?

Who cares who he is he's giving an opinion. I've seen well respected writers and members of the media get persecuted here for having opinions that rubbed Cowboys FANS the wrong way. McFadden has averaged 3.3 a carry the past 3 seasons which is the lowest in the league other than Trent Richardson. Williams hasn't suited up for a regular season game since the 2012 season in AZ. Randle hasn't seen enough carries to know what he can do with an increased workload and Dunbar was being fazed out late last season and only remains with the Cowboys due to Murray's departure. This RB group looks very average but maybe they'll surprise like some of the members of the defense did last season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We run the ball on 3rd and 3?

The Cowboys did on occasion with Murray last season. They ran the ball in situations last season where in the past they were having to throw the ball regularly.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with you. Anytime you have a RB-by-committee approach and half of your committee has a convincing history of being injury prone, it raises serious questions.

Verses the alternative of having no committee and using a bell cow who only played a full season for the first time in his career because he was willing to play a week after breaking his hand?

Give me the cheap committee and spend the money on guys like the kraken.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Verses the alternative of having no committee and using a bell cow who only played a full season for the first time in his career because he was willing to play a week after breaking his hand?

Give me the cheap committee and spend the money on guys like the kraken.

I guess the million dollar question is "how cheap can you go and still have an effective running game"?

That is really what is being discussed..................are Randle, McFadden, Williams, and Dunbar good enough behind this oline to field a comparable rushing attack to last season?............Some say yes, some say no, some really don't know.

The answer to this question probably determines what type of season we will have.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is really what is being discussed..................are Randle, McFadden, Williams, and Dunbar good enough behind this oline to field a comparable rushing attack to last season?............Some say yes, some say no, some really don't know.

No one knows but like I mentioned before, Jerry probably has a list of RB's he could trade for if things go south just sitting on his desk.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Hey, is she related to Little Debbie ?

Hell no! Little Debbie is every Marine's dream Dave.. Once a week, when we were in the field they would bring the Gee-dunk trailer out to us. "Gee-dunk is Marinese for Junk Food trailer and Little Debbie was always well represented. Debbie Downer is her alter-ego. I use it sensitively in response to certain people who refuse to budge on any form of optimism regarding our beloved Dallas Cowboys, without using their name. It's my way of getting my point across without harshly saying what I want to say, and what should be said. A release of my tension if you will, without starting a fight.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I guess the million dollar question is "how cheap can you go and still have an effective running game"?

The answer to this question probably determines what type of season we will have.

Murray behind this line doesn't compare to what he did last season.