Well regarded horror films that you thought were meh

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think Psycho has to do more with the competition in that genre at that time. It is considered the seminal slasher film and with Hitchcock it was well received before anyone saw it.

At the time, it affected shower curtain sales like nothing ever had before and he was excellent at showing you just enough and using black and white for the shower scene had this strange quality to it at the time.

I liken Psycho to Alien, until that came out, there was this opening just waiting to be filled by something we hadn't seen before. Then it had too many films following and imitating. I watched Psycho when I was 13 and there was nothing like it, no Jason, Michael or Freddy with the blood and gore.

But those slashers can't hold a candle to the guy in Wolf Creek for me. There is a scene in that film that stayed with me well beyond when I first watched it.
Yeah, there's a scene in Deliverance that affects me the same way. :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think it's an easier film to like if you get past the surface stuff that goes on and pay attention to the little things. And the dialog is great. I don't think as much attention is paid to the conversations that don't include Linda Blair or Ellen Burstyn.

And I personally really enjoy the early 70's feel to the movie. I think the movie has aged well but it still has that early 70's feeling to it which is comfortable.
The unmitigated gall and balls it took to say some of the things they say in the movie, especially coming from a little girl's mouth, added to the realism for me.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The unmitigated gall and balls it took to say some of the things they say in the movie, especially coming from a little girl's mouth, added to the realism for me.

Oh no doubt!

Stunning to hear now... I couldn't imagine sitting in the audience in 1972 and hearing that.