Twitter: Werder: Cowboys have decided to move on from Aldon Smith

aria

Reaction score
I believe it was Aldon who did the local radio interview and the next day they were playing it and basically insinuating he was high or drunk.

I remember listening to them playing clips on my way to work the next day and he did a little out if it (maybe?) but they were making a lot bigger deal about it then I thought it was. I don’t remember exactly when it was but definitely towards the end/latter part of the season.

Hope he gets help if that’s what this is about but, once again, one of Jerry’s “kids” bites the dust and gets kicked out of his billion dollar half way house empire.

No worries, I’m sure he’ll find another addict/ex con/player with severely flawed character issues and red flags to sign and help make the Cowboys a better team. All NFL cast aways, come to Dallas where Jerry will welcome you with open arms, a blank check and low expectations!

Too bad all the Watson allegations came out after signing Dak, he could have been the one Jerry! He could have been that pot of gold you’ve always been looking for. I don’t recall the last time we had a pervert on the team with that many accusers but surely it impresses Jerry. He would probably get an automatic spot in the Ring of Honor before even taking a snap.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius yesterday and Pat Kirwin made a statement about the Cowboys not re-signing Aldon Smith. He claimed Smith played almost 200 more plays last year than our $21 million DE, Demarcus Lawrence. Kirwin and Jim Miller both felt the Cowboys should have re-signed Smith, but of course they did not discuss money. The point is, if the statement about how much he played is true, then I would ask why is our overpaid DE not on the field more than a guy who was out of the league for 5 years?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's was one of the very few bright spots on the defense last year. It's only right that he is let go.

Jerry only wants big money guys that underperform.
He was only a bright spot for a brief flash of 2-3 games at the beginning of the season. He wasn’t remotely special after that.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

How long will Jerry Dumbo GM Jones try to build a defense with unreliable (Smith, Irving, Gregory, etc.) and unavailable players (Lee, Vander Esh, Smith, Carter, etc.)?

This team and front office is a disgrace and joke to what the Dallas Cowboys are to American football.

The Cowboys are now famous for dysfunction and headlines and not winning. Let's go sign those one legged Achilles Heal safeties (Neal, Kazee, Hooker). Woopie! Doomsday again!

Majic

Reaction score
I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius yesterday and Pat Kirwin made a statement about the Cowboys not re-signing Aldon Smith. He claimed Smith played almost 200 more plays last year than our $21 million DE, Demarcus Lawrence. Kirwin and Jim Miller both felt the Cowboys should have re-signed Smith, but of course they did not discuss money. The point is, if the statement about how much he played is true, then I would ask why is our overpaid DE not on the field more than a guy who was out of the league for 5 years?

It's diminishing returns. The more Lawrence plays the less effective he will be. He has only ever averaged 60-70% of snaps during his career.

John813

Reaction score

He had a injury hampering him iirc

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Was hoping to have smith back with a full training camp under his belt, got off to a quick start but faded. I think that should have been expected from a guy who had not played in 4 seasons

I mostly agree that it would have been nice to have him back. Hitting the wall at some point was to be expected from a guy who had not played in 4 years and who had no real offseason. Once he hit the wall there was no coming back so he simply had no juice for the rest of the season. I would not have minded seeing what he could turn into with a full offseason training program under his belt. Still if the rumors of his possibly facing new issues with Goodell maybe it's the right move.

Majic

Reaction score
If he signs with another team in next few days suggests there was not much to the story he had slipped into bad ways again. Maybe somewhere like Tennessee would not surprise me.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's diminishing returns. The more Lawrence plays the less effective he will be. He has only ever averaged 60-70% of snaps during his career.

Lawrence is one of those guys who goes one hundo on every snap. He chases plays away from him and 20 yards down the field. That requires more energy and thus more rest. How many times did we see him in on the tackle on screens or other plays on the other side of the field away from him adn 20-25 yards downfield. Guys who stand and watch when the play goes away from them need fewer plays off because they take plays off while they're on the field. Lawrence is not one of those guys.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Because basically our overpaid DE is worse than Smith was. He strong-armed the Cowboys with one good arm at the time. I’d have told him to **** off and have a nice surgery had I been Jerry. He wasn’t worth it then and DEFINITELY HASN’T BEEN since getting his extortion money.

Majic

Reaction score
Lawrence is one of those guys who goes one hundo on every snap. He chases plays away from him and 20 yards down the field. That requires more energy and thus more rest. How many times did we see him in on the tackle on screens or other plays on the other side of the field away from him adn 20-25 yards downfield. Guys who stand and watch when the play goes away from them need fewer plays off because they take plays off while they're on the field. Lawrence is not one of those guys.

But can he still do that if he plays every snap?

HungryLion

Reaction score
I believe it was Aldon who did the local radio interview and the next day they were playing it and basically insinuating he was high or drunk.

I remember listening to them playing clips on my way to work the next day and he did a little out if it (maybe?) but they were making a lot bigger deal about it then I thought it was. I don’t remember exactly when it was but definitely towards the end/latter part of the season.

Hope he gets help if that’s what this is about but, once again, one of Jerry’s “kids” bites the dust and gets kicked out of his billion dollar half way house empire.

No worries, I’m sure he’ll find another addict/ex con/player with severely flawed character issues and red flags to sign and help make the Cowboys a better team. All NFL cast aways, come to Dallas where Jerry will welcome you with open arms, a blank check and low expectations!

Too bad all the Watson allegations came out after signing Dak, he could have been the one Jerry! He could have been that pot of gold you’ve always been looking for. I don’t recall the last time we had a pervert on the team with that many accusers but surely it impresses Jerry. He would probably get an automatic spot in the Ring of Honor before even taking a snap.

I hope Aldon wasn’t still struggling with substance abuse.

It’s tough to make assumptions that somebody is high or drunk through a radio interview. I didn’t hear it. But it’s tough to tell just from that alone

especially if Aldon is on prescribed medication. If he is on medication for mental health issues, common side effects could make somebody seem a bit off, depending on the medication and when it was taken.

either way. I hope he is doing well with dealing with his issue. I hold no ill will towards him. He played hard last season, and didn’t get in trouble or cause problems. So wish him the best.

quickccc

Reaction score
Fish says his sources indicate that they're moving on because of "issues."

I've been long hearing that Aldon had seem to lose his fire and according to comments of such as Lafenberg and Broaddus, there was a question
if Aldon " no longer wanted to be here " and was playing like it.

- I wasn't impressed with Aldon for the majority of the season - and especially 2nd half of the season -and apparently his 3 sack performance vs Seattle
was more the product of a horrible OL unit

-I didn't see explosiveness and suddenness and agility in his game that was a huge staple of his ability.- he was more" Lumbering ".
i was giving him the benefit of the doubt that being out so very long outta actually playing football, he had to have hit a physical wall.

- But it's more looking like there were " other" elements and happenings going on behind the scene on a personal level
And now with those personal issues rising to the surface that effected not only his career here with Cowboys, ..but also a threat to interest of other NFL teams.

- We blew it by Not trading Aldon Smith while we had the chance. and getting at least a mid to late pick for him - maybe the Cowboys team they really thought it was only
a matter of time before he regained his footing again en route to that once All pro status again

RonnieT24

Reaction score
But can he still do that if he plays every snap?

No and I don't believe anyone can. I do think Nolan took him off the field too damn much though.. Remember the one game where someone (maybe Nolan) said "Lawrence is not part of the base defense..." to which we all responded that if your best lineman is not part of your base defense then you need a new base defense.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It's not grounds for calling him a bright spot or for viewing him as a guy that is necessary to sign to a new contract.
Compared to the rest of our defense. He was a bright spot. Compared to the rest of the league he was not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Compared to the rest of our defense. He was a bright spot. Compared to the rest of the league he was not.
I can't call 2-3 games a "bright spot" for the 2020 season. Nor should the Cowboys. I'm sure we could find other defensive players that had 2-3 strong individual games out of a 16 game season as well, but that doesn't make them bright spots either. The goal should be to sign people who will have an impact on the season, not just a couple of games.

aria

Reaction score
I hope Aldon wasn’t still struggling with substance abuse.

It’s tough to make assumptions that somebody is high or drunk through a radio interview. I didn’t hear it. But it’s tough to tell just from that alone

especially if Aldon is on prescribed medication. If he is on medication for mental health issues, common side effects could make somebody seem a bit off, depending on the medication and when it was taken.

either way. I hope he is doing well with dealing with his issue. I hold no ill will towards him. He played hard last season, and didn’t get in trouble or cause problems. So wish him the best.
For sure, I’m not saying he was or wasn’t but they seemed to think he was and made a kinda big deal of it. Either way, I’m with you, if it was substance abuse I wish him the best and hope he gets better.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
McCarthy is saying something different from what Werder is reporting. It's confusing. :huh: