Twitter: Werder on why Jerry paid Zeke

RamziD

Reaction score
Guessing it doesn't make many feel better but it's true. I think the holdout had a bigger impact than saving Jason's job. It caught them totally off guard, they simply didn't see it coming. They only had two options......pay him or call his bluff ( seeing if he wait until Oct to report ).

Long line of stupid football decisions with that family. Obviously they’re successful businesspeople, not necessarily when it comes to football.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Guessing it doesn't make many feel better but it's true. I think the holdout had a bigger impact than saving Jason's job. It caught them totally off guard, they simply didn't see it coming. They only had two options......pay him or call his bluff ( seeing if he wait until Oct to report ).

The main reason why I didn’t like Elliot holding out. Could have waited until his initial contract is up. That you already have.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ROFL. Werder just tweets same as he reports, recklessly, with no regard for reality.

Jerry paid Zeke because he was easily the best back in football the prior 3 seasons and he felt the team had outside SB contention chances.

He didn't do it as a favor to JG and he didn't do it for kicks, he did it because the team is far better with Zeke.
They paid Amari, DLaw, Zack, La'el, Tyron Smith and Dak too.
They always pay the front line guys.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The main reason why I didn’t like Elliot holding out. Could have waited until his initial contract is up. That you already have.
Zeke's holdout was smart and his agent's only sensible move.
NFL RB get chumped at every turn and he had to hold out while he had leverage.
It may have worked out worse for Jerry and the salary cap but that's the breaks.
The dude gave you 300 carries a year as a top 3 RB and it was time to pay him his solo massive deal.

Now in a year or two he will get released and will be jumping to another team for peanuts.
NFL RBs face the circle of life at breakneck speed.

akcowboy22

Reaction score
Yawn! Who cares what Werder thinks. We cant do nothing about it and complaining about it does nothing.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Jerry paid him the same reason he over pays other players in the past. He realizes they will end up on another team like the pats or something and become awesome. This making Jerry look like an idiot. Letting players go to other teams and finding success further facilitated the dysfunctional Cowboys narrative. And that Jerry is bad at his job.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Jerry unfortunately doesn't run the team as a business, even outside his own family. You don't decisions with long term costs to give a guy a short term chance to save his job.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It's a crap shoot. This board blew up w/fans wanting Jerry to pay Zeke when he was holding out. When Jerry finally paid him, the fanbase was happy.

Now that Zeke has drastically declined in his play, those same fans blame Jerry for over paying him. :rolleyes:
This franchise is so poorly run. Christ. :facepalm:
Leave him out of it!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It's a crap shoot. This board blew up w/fans wanting Jerry to pay Zeke when he was holding out. When Jerry finally paid him, the fanbase was happy.

Now that Zeke has drastically declined in his play, those same fans blame Jerry for over paying him. :rolleyes:Leave him out of it!

he hasn’t drastically declined.

T-RO

Reaction score
Jerry overpaid again...for a running back.

I blame Risen.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

That shows weakness on the part of the owner has he allowed 1 player, albeit the starting running back, to hold the team's finances and season hostage, all over the player's desire for more money. While I get this is a business, Jerry could have simply taken the position that the team is bigger than one player and trade Zeke for draft picks to rebuild the team as a whole.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That shows weakness on the part of the owner has he allowed 1 player, albeit the starting running back, to hold the team's finances and season hostage, all over the player's desire for more money. While I get this is a business, Jerry could have simply taken the position that the team is bigger than one player and trade Zeke for draft picks to rebuild the team as a whole.
Zeke’ a been a big part of winning the last 2 games.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Zeke is making 1 mill in base for 2021.

...because Dallas converted a large portion of his base salary into a signing bonus thereby lessening the cap hit this year but kicking more money down the road making moving Zeke impossible for at least another 2 seasons and possible 3.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

Jerry paid Zeke for Garrett but wouldn't pay Emmitt for Jimmy until he had to when the season was almost lost.