Twitter: Werder says if Dez is tagged, he will skip Offseason Activities.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Dez has said plenty in regards to being franchised.

Werder is simply the messenger and that in itself is problem for some folks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

To my knowledge, Dez has never mentioned anything either way about a possible hold-out or about missing team activities. Nor should he until and unless the tag is used. At least, I've looked for evidence he's said anything about it and wasn't able to find it.

Werder is *not* simply a messenger. He's providing new 'information.' It's not information that's coming from Dez' camp. It's not sourced or supported at all other than being something he was reportedly 'told.' Yet he's got the unsourced scoop on a possible holdout from maybe the highest profile player on maybe the highest profile team during a long offseason. Nobody else, we should note, with similar sources, is reporting anything similar as of today.

It doesn't matter that Werder's claiming he's been told something that's possible or even likely anyway. The point is that the story gets attention and there's no way to prove or disprove it. When that comes from a guy with a well-earned reputation for potentially making things up, it's something a careful person takes with an enormous grain of salt.

In fact, I can't think of any good or rational reason for taking such stories on faith at all. The only reasons I can think of, honestly, for supporting Werder here at all have to do with getting attention on the internet.

That, I think, is what's really the problem in itself for some folks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score

Can you point me towards it? I read every scrap about the Cowboys and somehow this has escaped my attention.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you point me towards it? I read every scrap about the Cowboys and somehow this has escaped my attention.

Is it ok if it just so happens to be stuff one of his sources got directly from Dez's camp? Because I hear there's a lot of that stuff going around if you just know where to get it.

At least, that's what several of my own sources are telling me.

erod

Reaction score
Good. It'll give Dez a chance to rest his bad back.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Is it ok if it just so happens to be stuff one of his sources got directly from Dez's camp? Because I hear there's a lot of that stuff going around if you just know where to get it.

At least, that's what several of my own sources are telling me.
Here's the problem I have with Werder's "report." You can say that about every single player who gets the Tag and I guarantee you at some point the player has discussed it with someone. They have to. This is a business. Dez himself in his now infamous with some fans tweet, even said it is business.

That does not, repeat NOT, mean that the player in question, for any team, has actually told anyone that he 100% will avoid team activities, and hold out, and all of this other crap. The problem is, if you say it about just about any other player and team, it won't cause a stir. If JPP posts that he wishes the Giants were more loyal, it'll barely cause a ripple. Why? Because every player says that, but every media center doesn't create waves from ripples.

Dallas does.

And every media guy out there knows this. That is why every single potential big name Free Agent gets linked to interest in Dallas. To give the ripples momentum to hopefully reach wave territory.

Werder said nothing that he needs to back up. Why? Because what he said is the reaction of the tagged player 100% of the time. Meaning, they absolutely do have to consider whether avoiding team activities will put pressure on Dallas to give him the long term deal he wants so that he is more ready when the season arrives. But Werder uses these tactics to keep himself relevant. Does anyone really think he's just trying to share something with the fans here? If anyone does, then they are exactly who Werder caters this stuff to. The people who are going to get up in arms about the report and automatically see the train leaving the tracks in Dallas.

I'm going to do something I rarely do. I will guarantee everyone here that Dez Bryant is going to be involved in the team activities and workouts. I am going to take the stance exactly opposite of Werder's. It will have zero impact anywhere but with the people who are already impacted by my thoughts because we share time on forums. In other words, my reach can't equal Werder's. My ripples have little chance of making waves as his do. I am going to say this using the exact same logic that Werder does for his report. He said it because players do not like the Tag and they ponder a need to react so the team knows they are not happy. So knowing this, why am I saying he is going to do exactly the opposite?

Real simple, I know how much this particular guy loves competition. I know how committed he is to greatness as a player. I know that he really is team first. I know that Dez Bryant wants to win a Championship and believes this team is almost there. I am going to take that exact same logic, of what we all know about this guy in particular and I am going to say he's going to be there. He's going to have the same fire. I am saying that regardless of whether he gets a long term deal or the tag.

I have EXACTLY the same chances of being right as Werder does, but I am going to go you one further. I am going to claim that the fact that Dez himself has not ratified Werder's "report" is proof that I am right, and Werder is wrong. I claim no sources for this. I am simply using the logic we all should have, and apply, about who this guy is and how the NFL operates, and how in Dallas ripples become waves easier than anywhere else.

Let the fallout begin.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Take it for what its worth. If true, I don't blame him.

I blame anyone under contract who skips offseason workouts.

BTW, one of my favorite things that I like about Dez is that he wouldn't pull a chicken-crap move like that.
Getting $13 million guaranteed for one year's work while you wait for a longer deal does not warrant sitting home and crying about it.
And Dez is not the type to do so.
The dude is all man.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm paraphrasing but Dez is on the record for saying in the locker-room, the loyalty and respect that the Cowboys organization has for him will be in direct proportion to his future contract. I translate that to mean anything less than max money will be perceived as disrespectful to him. By the very nature of the franchise tag, I can see where Werder's tweet may have merit if Bryant meant what he said.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'm paraphrasing but Dez is on the record for saying in the locker-room, the loyalty and respect that the Cowboys organization has for him will be in direct proportion to his future contract. I translate that to mean anything less than max money will be perceived as disrespectful to him. By the very nature of the franchise tag, I can see where Werder's tweet may have merit if Bryant meant what he said.
I would appreciate it if you could point me towards this since it is on the record.

Danger

Reaction score
I blame anyone under contract who skips offseason workouts.

BTW, one of my favorite things that I like about Dez is that he wouldn't pull a chicken-crap move like that.
Getting $13 million guaranteed for one year's work while you wait for a longer deal does not warrant sitting home and crying about it.
And Dez is not the type to do so.
The dude is all man.

Well said. His competitive and workaholic nature won't let him miss any time.

Bluestang

Reaction score
So it's just about Werder's reputation then, if it was Jay Glazer or Adam Schefter or anyone else than the message would be interpreted differently?

Ian Rapporport gets the same rep here but in reality so do Schefter and Glazer when they report negative things about a fan's precious team. Glazer reguarly blocks people for some of the idiotic comments they say to him including some racist ones.

It was just last offseason that we were talking about Dez getting a new contract, wasn't it? But again it was reported that there were concerns within the Cowboys organization that handing a bunch of money to Bryant made them nervous. And by all means, it should because Bryant as talented as he is definitely has baggage - that can be properly handled. But as of now the negotiating process is still ongoing and the back and forth between Dez and Stephen via the media doesn't really give the impressions that they are close to making a deal. That has to be concerning considering Tyron Smith inked a deal pretty quickly that also in turn helped the team tremendously. Talk about loyalty...that's as loyal as it gets, instead of talking about what loyalty is to the media. Dez deserves to be paid, but he can't take a huge chunk of the pie because in this salary cap era you have to be able to spend that money on other critical parts of the team.

The people that want attention on the internet are the ones that blindly guarantee things will happen a certain way. There is a reason why they left this particular forum and started their own, because they happened to get themselves into a huge pickle when things didn't quite line up with their version of the truth.

One poster was dead on about improving the team, and when the Cowboys brass decided to focus on that particular position group we had tangible results of improvement. But again that poster has a rep of getting cast as a malcontent because they doesn't always take the most popular "everything is rainbows and lollipops" stance.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So Dez is going to skip offseason workouts if he gets tagged....................Thank you Captain Obvious..................Nothing gets past Werder.

Virtually every player that gets tagged skips offseason stuff

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So it's just about Werder's reputation then, if it was Jay Glazer or Adam Schefter or anyone else than the message would be interpreted differently?

Ian Rapporport gets the same rep here but in reality so do Schefter and Glazer when they report negative things about a fan's precious team. Glazer reguarly blocks people for some of the idiotic comments they say to him including some racist ones.

It was just last offseason that we were talking about Dez getting a new contract, wasn't it? But again it was reported that there were concerns within the Cowboys organization that handing a bunch of money to Bryant made them nervous. And by all means, it should because Bryant as talented as he is definitely has baggage - that can be properly handled. But as of now the negotiating process is still ongoing and the back and forth between Dez and Stephen via the media doesn't really give the impressions that they are close to making a deal. That has to be concerning considering Tyron Smith inked a deal pretty quickly that also in turn helped the team tremendously. Talk about loyalty...that's as loyal as it gets, instead of talking about what loyalty is to the media. Dez deserves to be paid, but he can't take a huge chunk of the pie because in this salary cap era you have to be able to spend that money on other critical parts of the team.

The people that want attention on the internet are the ones that blindly guarantee things will happen a certain way. There is a reason why they left this particular forum and started their own, because they happened to get themselves into a huge pickle when things didn't quite line up with their version of the truth.

One poster was dead on about improving the team, and when the Cowboys brass decided to focus on that particular position group we had tangible results of improvement. But again that poster has a rep of getting cast as a malcontent because they doesn't always take the most popular "everything is rainbows and lollipops" stance.

Meh. This isn't reality, Bluestang. It's just your interpretation of it. And not a very accurate interpretation. You usually try to actually support your positions with evidence. What's up?

The board has thousands and thousands of members. You're going to find people with positive or negative takes on every single topic. It also has prevailing sentiments on most issues--though some are pretty closely divided and those are the ones that get a lot of debate. Whether or not Ed Werder is good at his job is not one of those issues that typically gets much real debate. As I said before, his reputation is warranted. He's not given the leeway that Scheffer or Glazer have earned, by and large.

It's hard to play guessing games as to which posters you're referring to. If Hos is the one that 'wants attention,' I'll leave that comment to him to address. It's not my style to issue broad guarantees, anyway.

It's a little harder to guess as to which poster you're referring to when it came to 'being dead on re: improving the team'. I'm going to assume that you'r referring to Risen Star and the OL collectively as the position group. Only Risen Star wasn't dead on about it, at all. He trashed the RT as 'slop.' He was not a fan of the OL coach hire. He was a fan of spending each of the three first round picks on OL (but hardly alone in that), but then complained loudly about the OL and the direction the entire time that group was being assembled. He complained about the zone blocking transition. He trashed the team's drafting strategy during that time. Stop gap players that came in and contributed in Dallas (Bernardeau) were dismissed and mocked before playing a single snap when in fact they were quality additions. Developmental players were dismissed and mocked only to earn above-minimum salaries from multiple teams while earning the right to compete for starting snaps on more than one play-off caliber (or near-playoff caliber) roster. In short, he was right about OL protection being important (derp), he was wrong about most everything else. He's generally considered a malcontent because he's generally a malcontent.

But, when you find somebody here who thinks 'everything is rainbows and lollipops,' by all means, point them out and try to defend your interpretation of that. Like I said, we've got a ton of members here, and it takes all types, but for the most part we've got a lot of great posters who don't always agree about what's best for the team, but all of them understand that we had some real limitations that needed to be addressed. And a lot of limitations that are still in the process of being addressed. Heck, we've got a ton of work to do this offseason to just have a shot at treading water, much less improving on 2014. But excuse me if I"m not bending over backwards to give the unrepentant 5-11 crowd a pat on the back for being loudly wrong about the direction of the organization under Jason Garrett for the last several years.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Meh. This isn't reality, Bluestang. It's just your interpretation of it. And not a very accurate interpretation. You usually try to actually support your positions with evidence. What's up?

The board has thousands and thousands of members. You're going to find people with positive or negative takes on every single topic. It also has prevailing sentiments on most issues--though some are pretty closely divided and those are the ones that get a lot of debate. Whether or not Ed Werder is good at his job is not one of those issues that typically gets much real debate. As I said before, his reputation is warranted. He's not given the leeway that Scheffer or Glazer have earned, by and large.

It's hard to play guessing games as to which posters you're referring to. If Hos is the one that 'wants attention,' I'll leave that comment to him to address. It's not my style to issue broad guarantees, anyway.

It's a little harder to guess as to which poster you're referring to when it came to 'being dead on re: improving the team'. I'm going to assume that you'r referring to Risen Star and the OL collectively as the position group. Only Risen Star wasn't dead on about it, at all. He trashed the RT as 'slop.' He was not a fan of the OL coach hire. He was a fan of spending each of the three first round picks on OL (but hardly alone in that), but then complained loudly about the OL and the direction the entire time that group was being assembled. He complained about the zone blocking transition. He trashed the team's drafting strategy during that time. Stop gap players that came in and contributed in Dallas (Bernardeau) were dismissed and mocked before playing a single snap when in fact they were quality additions. Developmental players were dismissed and mocked only to earn above-minimum salaries from multiple teams while earning the right to compete for starting snaps on more than one play-off caliber (or near-playoff caliber) roster. In short, he was right about OL protection being important (derp), he was wrong about most everything else. He's generally considered a malcontent because he's generally a malcontent.

But, when you find somebody here who thinks 'everything is rainbows and lollipops,' by all means, point them out and try to defend your interpretation of that. Like I said, we've got a ton of members here, and it takes all types, but for the most part we've got a lot of great posters who don't always agree about what's best for the team, but all of them understand that we had some real limitations that needed to be addressed. And a lot of limitations that are still in the process of being addressed. Heck, we've got a ton of work to do this offseason to just have a shot at treading water, much less improving on 2014. But excuse me if I"m not bending over backwards to give the unrepentant 5-11 crowd a pat on the back for being loudly wrong about the direction of the organization under Jason Garrett for the last several years.

I appreciate the undertones you incorporate in your responses. I always get a good chuckle.

Ever since the decision to get rid of the search function well it's just not worth the time and energy to dig through posts to find exact quotes from posters. I understand why that it is and that's fine with me.

But @Risen Star can correct me if I wrong here but he hated the OL coach hire because he knew that wasn't the real problem with the unit. Whether it was man blocking or zone blocking Houck was scapegoated as the reason why the unit was failing, where as we know that real talent needed to be in front of Romo to allow the offense to operate. The HC even admitted to that fact they they used alot of "smoke and mirrors" to allow the offense to operate at times. He correctly predicted that Phil Costa would be out of football and Bernadeau is a mere afterthought after Zach Martin was drafted. I would disagree with him on Free being "slop" but he is by far the weakest link on the unit but he is better than Parnell which highlights another problem there. And what exactly did Nate Livings do here? Arkin is still around somewhere, maybe the Fins? The teams drafting strategy has changed multiple times to include who the point man is, and the Floyd fiasco is an embarrassment that led to that change. Even if Claiborne can play this year the trade to get him was too much and it has played a part in why the defense is in state of flux, again. Lawrence already has a huge expectations because of what we gave up to draft him, although he did have a nice short rookie year.

We do indeed have alot to do this year. Our beloved Cowboys can easily sink back to the cellar and all of this righting of the ship will join it. Let's hope that isn't the case.