We're saving money for existing players (Lamb, Diggs, Micah)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't see that because Jerry loves that home grown talent.

Also, if they play well then we should sign them. I just hope they go with the wait and see approach instead of signing them just because. If they earn big pay days then do it, but don't do it just because you like em.

Yes, but WRs are not hard to find in the draft. And what I'm saying is, rather than paying a huge amount of money for a WR, why not try to move him for an extra 1st as well as more picks? Let's say we trade him for a 1st this year and next year. We could draft a top DT or pass rusher as well as a top WR. Then the next draft, see where we are and what moves we want to make with an extra 1st.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They don’t have to but if Lamb gets 90+ catches and 1400 yards he is gonna want top end receiver money. Lamb is more talented then Cooper Kupp so he could put together a similar season next year.

Oh, I agree, but I would be hesitant about him getting top money from us. I think trying to get multiple high picks for him would be a smarter decision. Essentially, try to pull a mini-Herschel Walker deal with him, and accelerate the building of this team.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, but WRs are not hard to find in the draft. And what I'm saying is, rather than paying a huge amount of money for a WR, why not try to move him for an extra 1st as well as more picks? Let's say we trade him for a 1st this year and next year. We could draft a top DT or pass rusher as well as a top WR. Then the next draft, see where we are and what moves we want to make with an extra 1st.
I don't think Jerry could get that out of him.

I think Jerry gets fleeced in every deal he makes and all the owners know that he's an easy guy to rip off.

I mean, like your idea, but we have doofuses in charge unforntunetley.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think Jerry could get that out of him.

I think Jerry gets fleeced in every deal he makes and all the owners know that he's an easy guy to rip off.

I mean, like your idea, but we have doofuses in charge unforntunetley.

Yeah, I know Jerry probably wouldn't think like that, and, tbh, I'd rather resign Lamb vs a 3rd round comp pick. But man, we would have teams lining up like people lining up by an ice cream lorry on a blazing hot day. Even Jerry can't muck that up. I don't see why we couldn't pull a mini-Herschel Walker deal with Lamb. Want to build the team to even higher levels? Pull that deal off! I think we could get at least 2 firsts as well as a few 2/3s and later picks. With how much this team relies on the draft, this could be a deal that launches the Cowboys into a territory where we'd be so much deadlier than we are now. Any coach would love to have that many picks to play with.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
They don’t have to but if Lamb gets 90+ catches and 1400 yards he is gonna want top end receiver money. Lamb is more talented then Cooper Kupp so he could put together a similar season next year.
Oh my.

I've seen people here say Lamb is more talented than Justin Jefferson and now Cooper Kupp too?

What am I missing here? I see Lamb as more of a Tee Higgins or Tyler Lockett type. A WR that has benefitted greatly from playing along side a WR that is better than them.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, I know Jerry probably wouldn't think like that, and, tbh, I'd rather resign Lamb vs a 3rd round comp pick. But man, we would have teams lining up like people lining up by an ice cream lorry on a blazing hot day. Even Jerry can't muck that up. I don't see why we couldn't pull a mini-Herschel Walker deal with Lamb. Want to build the team to even higher levels? Pull that deal off! I think we could get at least 2 firsts as well as a few 2/3s and later picks. With how much this team relies on the draft, this could be a deal that launches the Cowboys into a territory where we'd be so much deadlier than we are now. Any coach would love to have that many picks to play with.
I'm always down for a little wheeling and dealing.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Gotta keep in mind Dak needs a new deal around the same time as these guys. 2024 his deal is up I think?

quickccc

Reaction score
- Micah and Diggs are already on their way with just very recent super stellar seasons.
At this pace and productivity, there is no question they are going to demand to be THE highest paid defensive player or DB in the NFL.

- Lamb is still a wait and see, especially now that he is being pushed to be not only our No.1 featured WR, ..but he'll need to prove he can be
among the very premiere, elite WRs.in the NFL, ala Hill, Adams, Jefferson, Brown, etc.

- And it's completely predicated on how the Cowboys themselves see their own key core players.
Cowboys made Zeke highest paid RB, Dak among highest paid QBs, ..Tyron Smith among highest paid OTs,.. DLaw among highest paid DE's
Expect either a franchise tag or even a threatened hold out that will drag it out to a conclusion.

- But I'd still expect and convinced that those young core players to be re-signed, given they prove their worth and market value.
Besides depending solely on the NFL draft, and re-signing key FA's that's just what Stephen Jones does.
That's his hardcore philosophy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The 3 players mentioned, surely it will be more, I think these 3 will break the bank. Knowing how things are going with our lack of spending, I don't expect contract negotiations to go on for weeks and months.

Now days this leads to players deleting their team from social media ( new modern scare tactic to show team they're ready to get paid??)

With all the money we're choosing not to spend, do you think we re set the market? I know these deals usually take time, but cap boy is saving so it should go quick! Please give your thoughts.....
I think we pay parsons. he will sell too many Jersey's for Jerry to let him go, so its a good investment. Diggs is 50/50 at this point, since Alexander got average 21M extension, so perhaps Diggs will be in the upper 20's next year. is he top 20 in Jersey sales to garner that kind of money. can't think of anybody else right now that would garner a large contract.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Agreed. They both must improve from last season.

I love the INTS, but I would be much happier with 6 INTs and 600 yards allowed over 11 INTs and 1,000 yards allowed. I prefer a J.C. Jackson type over a Trevon Diggs type personally. Jackson had 8 INTS, but only gave up 650 yards.

Diggs gives up too many chunk yards. Jackson only gave up 2 less completions than Diggs did last year 52 to 54, but like 300 less yards. Diggs was tied for 1st in the NFL with the most 15+ yard receptions given up, so that's an issue that needs fixed. That's what you get with a gambler though. You might get an INT, but you might give up a first down catch on 3rd and 12.

Lamb I worry more about than Diggs to be honest. Diggs is the main guy where Lamb has always been #2 to Cooper. Lamb is going to have to now go against the #1 CB and be the focus of opposing defenses in the pass game. It remains to be seen how he handles that. The one game he played without Cooper, although it was only for 1 half, he had 3 catches for 14 yards. So, we'll see.
I don’t want to go there but the Cowboys offensive scheme and quarterback did Lamb no favors. No more excuses for paper boy and Dak this season. They drafted the guard they wanted and got rid of Cooper. Let’s go!!!

Diggs and JC Jackson probably my two favorite cornerbacks. The Cowboys scheme under Quinn takes more chances and goes for the big play. Belichick is more conservative. We will see what Jackson does with the Chargers. I am wondering why the Patriots let him go.:huh:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Oh my.

I've seen people here say Lamb is more talented than Justin Jefferson and now Cooper Kupp too?

What am I missing here? I see Lamb as more of a Tee Higgins or Tyler Lockett type. A WR that has benefitted greatly from playing along side a WR that is better than them.
Kupp is the better player by far. What we are talking about is draft grades. This is a big year for Lamb. Jefferson is bigger and faster then Lamb. He got dinged because he was a 6’3 slot receiver in college.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I don’t want to go there but the Cowboys offensive scheme and quarterback did Lamb no favors. No more excuses for paper boy and Dak this season. They drafted the guard they wanted and got rid of Cooper. Let’s go!!!

Diggs and JC Jackson probably my two favorite cornerbacks. The Cowboys scheme under Quinn takes more chances and goes for the big play. Belichick is more conservative. We will see what Jackson does with the Chargers. I am wondering why the Patriots let him go.:huh:
The Patriots don't want to pay anybody. That's always been their thing. I was surprised they let him go, but then again, BB seems to always be able to reload when it comes to defense. He's a genius in that department.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lamb is not more talented than Cooper. Cooper is the best route runner in the NFL. His extreme burst and lateral agility is what allows him to create separation consistently. Lamb doesn't have these skills at as high of a level.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Patriots don't want to pay anybody. That's always been their thing. I was surprised they let him go, but then again, BB seems to always be able to reload when it comes to defense. He's a genius in that department.
BB takes lots of hits for the Patriots lately. I am beginning to wonder if Kraft is the reason why they don’t pay players though. Kraft has more Jerry in him then fans want to believe.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's not about wanting to pay anyone, it's about knowing that you need a complete roster, and that overpaying some will lead to weaknesses elsewhere.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It's not about wanting to pay anyone, it's about knowing that you need a complete roster, and that overpaying some will lead to weaknesses elsewhere.
It's a smart strategy that requires a great head coach and coordinators to pull off.

kskboys

Reaction score
BB takes lots of hits for the Patriots lately. I am beginning to wonder if Kraft is the reason why they don’t pay players though. Kraft has more Jerry in him then fans want to believe.
Know who the Pats paid? Tom Brady, Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork.

Who don't they pay? WR's, RB's, most DB's. And average to above average players, and most pass rushers. Because Belly can create a pass rush w/ JAG's. That's one of the primary reasons the Pats have been so successful.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Know who the Pats paid? Tom Brady, Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork.

Who don't they pay? WR's, RB's, most DB's. And average to above average players, and most pass rushers. Because Belly can create a pass rush w/ JAG's. That's one of the primary reasons the Pats have been so successful.
They never paid Brady what he was really worth either.

Was he ever the highest paid QB in the NFL at any point?