We've picked on Dak, which is justifiable, but MM is not good

Plankton

Reaction score
giphy.gif

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Well, if you wanted the WCO, you got it. That's a typical pattern.

I don't even hate the concept behind that play. That's something that Kyle Shanahan might call... the trips receivers draw 3+ defenders to the far side away from the RB, the TE runs a pick, and you flare the ball to Pollard as an extended handoff. The problem was that Warner and the safety both ID'ed the play design before Dak even took 2 steps, and then they had Pollard dead to rights.

Dak might have sold it a little better with some eye movement, but that is mostly just smart defense.

Echospacing

Reaction score
well, at least Dak threw it to the only open receiver albeit for a loss. I think that play was doomed from the get go with the 49ers in the exact defense to thwart it. I suspect they scouted that one out and knew it when we lined up in that formation. Hence a loss.

vlad

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff you get from McCarthy. Watch this and be dazzled by the intricacies and design of this play.

I think mm and this offense suck hard, but I’d argue at least Cooks and Ceedee were open for pitch and catch pro tries, particularly cooks. Now i have no idea his progression if he’s just supposed to throw it in that’s etc.

But overall i totally agree…can’t we at least motion ppl, do anything to give ourselves obvious advantages? Feels like Garrett never left.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well, if you wanted the WCO, you got it. That's a typical pattern.

I don't even hate the concept behind that play. That's something that Kyle Shanahan might call... the trips receivers draw 3+ defenders to the far side away from the RB, the TE runs a pick, and you flare the ball to Pollard as an extended handoff. The problem was that Warner and the safety both ID'ed the play design before Dak even took 2 steps, and then they had Pollard dead to rights.

Dak might have sold it a little better with some eye movement, but that is mostly just smart defense.
I had really hoped Mac could salvage Dak.
Alas I was wrong......

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think mm and this offense suck hard, but I’d argue at least Cooks and Ceedee were open for pitch and catch pro tries, particularly cooks. Now i have no idea his progression if he’s just supposed to throw it in that’s etc.

But overall i totally agree…can’t we at least motion ppl, do anything to give ourselves obvious advantages? Feels like Garrett never left.
I looked up Hank for grins, and Google pulled up a post that explained this play perfectly. Recommended reading for anyone ITT.

https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/04/26/hank-concept/

Like look at this picture, and then go re-watch the routes our receivers were running. Identical.

hank-pic-750x422.png

The website explains how the QB should read it.

For the quarterback, the reads are:

1. Identify any pre-snap numbers advantage
  2. If even numbers, read to the direction that the linebacker attaches to the sit route
  3. Throw the curl if the flat defender widens
  4. Throw the flat if the defender gets under the curl

So in Dak's progression

1. Even numbers pre-snap. 3 standup defenders on the strong side against his trips, 2 standup defenders against his 2 guys on the weak side, Warner is dead middle.
2. Post-snap, Warner "attaches" to the sit on the weak side, I guess. It's more like Dak looked to the weak side first, then Warner read his eyes + Pollard, and then just started flying.
3. The CB is glued to Ferguson on the curl, to the point where I don't know if he's pressing Fergy or if Fergy is blocking him.
4. And off we go to the flat.

I think the execution was fine... the Niners were just ready for it.

I think the only way they could have avoided it is with a pre-snap motion check, to see if the defense is in man. This play is a zone beater, and the hitches+flat don't work against across the board man (which SF was running). If Dak saw man, then he could have audibled to a run or a man-beater concept.

vlad

Reaction score
I looked up Hank for grins, and Google pulled up a post that explained this play perfectly. Recommended reading for anyone ITT.

https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/04/26/hank-concept/

Like look at this picture, and then go re-watch the routes our receivers were running. Identical.

hank-pic-750x422.png

The website explains how the QB should read it.

So in Dak's progression

1. Even numbers pre-snap. 3 standup defenders on the strong side against his trips, 2 standup defenders against his 2 guys on the weak side, Warner is dead middle.
2. Post-snap, Warner "attaches" to the sit on the weak side, I guess. It's more like Dak looked to the weak side first, then Warner read his eyes + Pollard, and then just started flying.
3. The CB is glued to Ferguson on the curl, to the point where I don't know if he's pressing Fergy or if Fergy is blocking him.
4. And off we go to the flat.

I think the execution was fine... the Niners were just ready for it.

I think the only way they could have avoided it is with a pre-snap motion check, to see if the defense is in man. This play is a zone beater, and the hitches+flat don't work against across the board man (which SF was running). If Dak saw man, then he could have audibled to a run or a man-beater concept.
This is awesome, thanks!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff you get from McCarthy. Watch this and be dazzled by the intricacies and design of this play.

The thing is this: with all the headcoaches, OCs, receivers and tight ends Dak had over the years you're saying they all sucked but he's the one?

This alone should make it obvious to anyone, that Dak is the core of the problem. Some peeps here say his receivers arent getting open. So thats the story for 8 years now? No open receivers? Geez, sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm not saying MM is the best coach ever. (He did win a Superbowl though with a capable QB). Or that KM wasn't part of the problem. And hell do we all know that the Jones culture isn't that much of a gift to this organization. But there's an elephant in the room and it's so tiresome his homers argue around it all the time.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The thing is this: with all the headcoaches, OCs, receivers and tight ends Dak had over the years you're saying they all sucked but he's the one?

This alone should make it obvious to anyone, that Dak is the core of the problem. Some peeps here say his receivers arent getting open. So thats the story for 8 years now? No open receivers? Geez, sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm not saying MM is the best coach ever. (He did win a Superbowl though with a capable QB). Or that KM wasn't part of the problem. And hell do we all know that the Jones culture isn't that much of a gift to this organization. But there's an elephant in the room and it's so tiresome his homers argue around it all the time.
It's classic deflection. Blame everyone and everything around him. The receivers can never be good enough for a guy with the limitations of Dak. There is no OC that is good enough to scheme an NFL caliber offense for a guy with the limitations of Dak. If you take Dak and put him on the 49-ers, do you seriously think he is running Shannahan's offense and making those throws you saw Purdy make?

plasticman

Reaction score
To what degree is McCarthy's abilities and powers diminished and supplanted by Jerry Jones?

Like every other HC before McCarthy, we will never truly know but we do know a significant percentage exists. Every Dallas Cowboys Head Coach since Jimmy Johnson is hamstrung when it comes to their traditional roles in the NFL. That includes their abilities to build a team and construct a good plan of action that will be adhered to. You cannot follow a plan half way and expect the same results. Jerry has always been reactionary. He adopts a new plan every time the league teaches him a new lesson. He then deviates from the plan at the first opportunity.

After Michael Irvin he was never going to draft another potential "trouble maker". But wait! The one he passed on just got inducted. So he signs TO, the exact opposite of an ideal Parcels receiver. What did they get? They got a great receiver whose value was diminished by being a head-ache and distraction. They got zero opportunities to go deep in the playoffs. They got the popcorn but no show.

They got an iconic Head Coach walking away from a team that he built that appeared to have the potential to compete for several seasons. Coaches don't do that in the NFL unless there is something very wrong.

I'm not blaming the players or the coaches, neither was given the real opportunity and freedom to become the best version of their skill sets When you have that type of owner or GM or owner masquerading as a GM, then the problems lie in the decision making and not the people those decisions involve.