We've picked on Dak, which is justifiable, but MM is not good

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Find me a post where I said Dak is the one?

This just further proves my point. Some are so anti-Dak that you can't stomach criticism of any other facet of the offense as they think it takes the focus off of Dak. It's silly but it's there.

Dak isn't good. He should be cut/traded this offseason. But people defending McCarthy are a funny bunch. He's not good. He hasn't been good for over a decade. But sure, launch Dak to the sun and keep MM. Prepare yourself for more years of mediocrity then.
Well anyone who's won a friggin Superbowl is good enough for me. And I'm not even saying MM should be untouchable. He has also disappointed me so far. But the only constant over the last 8 years has been Dak, has he not? Practically everyone else has been replaced. And we still suck against the heavyweights. So that doesn't give you an idea? Hmm... now wait a second! Martin has been here too the whole time! Man, maybe it's him!?

:rolleyes:

khiladi

Reaction score
I have said that at the very least, he should be stripped of his playcalling duties but the problem is he wants to do it so he's always going to meddle in the offense. The odds you can hire a young, high quality, aggressive, innovative offensive OC and QB coach to "fix" Lance or develop the next guy is slim. I mean he was part of the reason Moore was sent to the moon this past offseason. Reality is this offense was better under Moore than McCarthy thus far.

So what value is there in McCarthy being the HC if he's just going to be a meddler on offense even if he isn't the OC? No thanks. Fire his *** this offseason. There really is no justifiable reason to keep McCarthy beyond this year if it fizzles out again. Remember when he was gonna fix the penalty situation? LOL. He's mediocre as a HC too. Just get rid of him. Start over completely on offense in 2024 with a new HC/OC/QB/OL coach to work with a new QB.
I wasn’t thrilled with it. But I don’t think he was that much of a problem that one can blame him for not advancing, as it’s really all about Dak. I do hope he’s canned, as that hopefully means a completely new direction with an innovative coach, as long as Dak is gone. The only problem I see is Jerry doesn’t want to pay a HC for nothing, meaning by firing him he still would owe him money I think.

Further, nobody in the organization has a problem with Mike McCarthy as far as we know. The WRs that are still around like Lamb seem to be getting frustrated at being open and the ball not being thrown to them.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Huge mistake letting KMoore leave.

Our offense is basic.
Super basic. We think we can just line up and beat teams with "execution". Against bad defenses that may work but against good defenses like the 49ers, well u seen what happened. This is like Jason Garrett all over again. But worst. Dak and the offense was better under Jason Garrett.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well anyone who's won a friggin Superbowl is good enough for me. And I'm not even saying MM should be untouchable. He has also disappointed me so far. But the only constant over the last 8 years has been Dak, has he not? Practically everyone else has been replaced. And we still suck against the heavyweights. So that doesn't give you an idea? Hmm... now wait a second! Martin has been here too the whole time! Man, maybe it's him!?

:rolleyes:
Bill Parcells won a SB.

How'd that work out for us? Sometimes guys stagnate and lose their touch.

We are smart people. We can talk about how both Dak and McCarthy are failing and need to go. But some of you bristle at criticism of McCarthy because you've tricked yourselves into thinking criticism of McCarthy (or any other offensive player/coach) is a defense of Dak. It's shallow thinking.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you want to fire a chef after he was unable to produce a gourmet meal with Hot Pockets and Mac and Cheese?
Absolutely.

Because football isn't always an either/or situation. It's not one side of the ball's fault a team loses. Sometimes it's both. When an offense sucks, it's not just the QB only or the OC only or the OL only. It's often times a combination of may things.

But sure. Dump Dak, keep McCarthy. LOL. It's Garrett Redux.

Sydla

Reaction score
I wasn’t thrilled with it. But I don’t think he was that much of a problem that one can blame him for not advancing, as it’s really all about Dak. I do hope he’s canned, as that hopefully means a completely new direction with an innovative coach, as long as Dak is gone. The only problem I see is Jerry doesn’t want to pay a HC for nothing, meaning by firing him he still would owe him money I think.

Further, nobody in the organization has a problem with Mike McCarthy as far as we know. The WRs that are still around like Lamb seem to be getting frustrated at being open and the ball not being thrown to them.
I mean at the end of the day the real problem isn't just Dak or McCarthy.

It's Jerry. And unfortunately his son doesn't seem to be any wiser or less arrogant. I truly believe there is a very good chance both Dak and McCarthy are back in 2024.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Watch this video from 5:14 on. Even on a miss Purdy is better than Dak on his best throws. Some few peeps here keep saying our receivers wont get open. Well Dak has about zero anticipation about what will happen next. Therefore his receivers need to be open longer, earlier and therefore more predictable for the secondary. And against SF and the likes you dont have that luxury.

What I'm trying to say here is, our problem lies more within the execution than the play calling these days.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Bill Parcells won a SB.

How'd that work out for us? Sometimes guys stagnate and lose their touch.

We are smart people. We can talk about how both Dak and McCarthy are failing and need to go. But some of you bristle at criticism of McCarthy because you've tricked yourselves into thinking criticism of McCarthy (or any other offensive player/coach) is a defense of Dak. It's shallow thinking.
My problem is the front offices inability to get out of the way before complete and utter failure has been identified. Sure, I would love an elite QB, come to find there are really 1-3 and even they aren't consistent enough for this fanbase. Sure, the HC could be improved. But here we are!
I'm much more concerned with why the defense allowed a pile of points to try to overcome, got manhandled and everyone is pointing fingers at the offense. And not even at the garbage O line and run game. :laugh: This was what the playoffs will be like. We need to NOT have to come from behind and expect a win.

Sydla

Reaction score

Watch this video from 5:14 on. Even on a miss Purdy is better than Dak on his best throws. Some few peeps here keep saying our receivers wont get open. Well Dak has about zero anticipation about what will happen next. Therefore his receivers need to be open longer, earlier and therefore more predictable for the secondary. And against SF and the likes you dont have that luxury.

What I'm trying to say here is, our problem lies more within the execution than the play calling these days.

Shanahan is one of the best play designers/schemers/play callers in the NFL. Purdy had guys wide open all game.

This video isn't helping your case on defending McCarthy. It shows that Purdy is a better QB than Dak but also shows how much better Shanahan is at his job than McCarthy.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Well I'm not seeing it that way, so I guess we have to agree to disagree. The play in question wasnt very good yet Purdy almost made something out of it by being on the same page with his receiver. MM is by no means flawless. But getting rid of him shouldn't be the priority right now.

Sydla

Reaction score
My problem is the front offices inability to get out of the way before complete and utter failure has been identified. Sure, I would love an elite QB, come to find there are really 1-3 and even they aren't consistent enough for this fanbase. Sure, the HC could be improved. But here we are!
I'm much more concerned with why the defense allowed a pile of points to try to overcome, got manhandled and everyone is pointing fingers at the offense. And not even at the garbage O line and run game. :laugh: This was what the playoffs will be like. We need to NOT have to come from behind and expect a win.
In fairness, there has been criticism of the defense. But let's also note they got into an early hole because they were on the field a ton. With like two minutes to go in the first quarter, the Cowboys had like 6 yards of offense.

Look at the drives. 49ers scored on their opening drive but then the Cowboys D did this on their next 3 defensive series:

- 3 plays, forced a punt
- 11 plays, forced a punt
- 2 plays a fumble

What did the Dallas O do right after each of these drives:

- 3 plays, 1 yard, punt
- 1 play, 4 yards, fumble
- 3 plays, 2 yards, punt

Now the defense wasn't good but the reality is when you spend as much time on the field as they did because the offense is so pathetic, eventually they are gonna fold.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well I'm not seeing it that way, so I guess we have to agree to disagree. The play in question wasnt very good yet Purdy almost made something out of it by being on the same page with his receiver. MM is by no means flawless. But getting rid of him shouldn't be the priority right now.
It's pretty widely accepted that Shanahan is one of the best, if not best, OCs in football. If you think he's doing no better than McCarthy and just happens to have a better QB that makes him look smarter, well then, yeah............ we are gonna have to disagree.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
In fairness, there has been criticism of the defense. But let's also note they got into an early hole because they were on the field a ton. With like two minutes to go in the first quarter, the Cowboys had like 6 yards of offense.

Look at the drives. 49ers scored on their opening drive but then the Cowboys D did this on their next 3 defensive series:

- 3 plays, forced a punt
- 11 plays, forced a punt
- 2 plays a fumble

What did the Dallas O do right after each of these drives:

- 3 plays, 1 yard, punt
- 1 play, 4 yards, fumble
- 3 plays, 2 yards, punt

Now the defense wasn't good but the reality is when you spend as much time on the field as they did because the offense is so pathetic, eventually they are gonna fold.
No excuse. Because they were on the field a ton? Did the offense get excused against Arizona for having a favorable TOP? Nope. Dallas had 10 more minutes on the field offensively and still got smoked.

We can do this all day, go back and forth blaming a mistake. But let's at least start at the beginning and realize what you're asking a Non-Elite QB to do multiple TDs behind. The defense already folded early in the 3rd quarter. With an embarrassing pass protection and run game. The entire team barely broke 50 yards.

Sydla

Reaction score
No excuse. Because they were on the field a ton? Did the offense get excused against Arizona for having a favorable TOP? Nope. Dallas had 10 more minutes on the field offensively and still got smoked.

We can do this all day, go back and forth blaming a mistake. But let's at least start at the beginning and realize what you're asking a Non-Elite QB to do multiple TDs behind. The defense already folded early in the 3rd quarter. With an embarrassing pass protection and run game. The entire team barely broke 50 yards.
But he wasn't multiple TDs behind early. He had four drives to start the game where he was only down 7. He and the OC failed on all four drives amassing 8 yards of offense over those 4 drives.

Again, this is not to say the defense played well. They kinda stunk. But they did a decent job early in the game only to watch the offense completely **** the bed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But he wasn't multiple TDs behind early. He had four drives to start the game where he was only down 7. He and the OC failed on all four drives amassing 8 yards of offense over those 4 drives.

Again, this is not to say the defense played well. They kinda stunk. But they did a decent job early in the game only to watch the offense completely **** the bed.
He wasn't, the offense was. It was 21-7 in the 3rd quarter.
You're suggesting the defense did a decent job early in the game?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL. McCarthy is fine.

I guess we are just gonna repeat the Garrett experiment. It's funny how anti-Dak some of you are that you will defend a guy who really isn't all that good.
Garrett didn’t belong in the NFL..

McCarthy is a solid at worst coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
He wasn't, the offense was. It was 21-7 in the 3rd quarter.
You're suggesting the defense did a decent job early in the game?
Yeah. They stopped the 49ers on 3 straight drives early when the game was only 7-0. Over those three drives the 49ers only had around 45 yards of offense. Then they imploded on themselves after the offense had already crapped the bed (since the start of the game). Look, they weren't good and really sucked from later in the 2nd Q through the end of the game. But the offense was worse. They crapped the bed right from the start of the game and never recovered.

Sydla

Reaction score
Garrett didn’t belong in the NFL..

McCarthy is a solid at worst coach.
Sweet.

Glad we have set the bar at "solid". That's gonna get us far especially if we turn to Lance and/or a young QB after this season.

He's a mediocre OC and a mediocre HC. How's fixing all those penalties working out for him, for example. That was gonna be a big priority for him. We've been top ten in penalties for every season McCarthy has been here.