We've picked on Dak, which is justifiable, but MM is not good

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I looked up Hank for grins, and Google pulled up a post that explained this play perfectly. Recommended reading for anyone ITT.

https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/04/26/hank-concept/

Like look at this picture, and then go re-watch the routes our receivers were running. Identical.

hank-pic-750x422.png

The website explains how the QB should read it.

So in Dak's progression

1. Even numbers pre-snap. 3 standup defenders on the strong side against his trips, 2 standup defenders against his 2 guys on the weak side, Warner is dead middle.
2. Post-snap, Warner "attaches" to the sit on the weak side, I guess. It's more like Dak looked to the weak side first, then Warner read his eyes + Pollard, and then just started flying.
3. The CB is glued to Ferguson on the curl, to the point where I don't know if he's pressing Fergy or if Fergy is blocking him.
4. And off we go to the flat.

I think the execution was fine... the Niners were just ready for it.

I think the only way they could have avoided it is with a pre-snap motion check, to see if the defense is in man. This play is a zone beater, and the hitches+flat don't work against across the board man (which SF was running). If Dak saw man, then he could have audibled to a run or a man-beater concept.
Good stuff......but isnt this one of the concerns about Dak, that he's got the play in his head and his consideration is to do his thing and get the ball out and no concern for aiding the receiver? Dak looks right and Warner's off, he's not stood up at any moment. Similarly it's like his passes to receiver's in motion, they tend to be at the receiver, rather than in front allowing yac.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
“Lets take 1 play and create a narrative.”

McCarthy is fine. Dak’s just not capable of elevating his game.
Dak looked better with Moore. So did Pollard. So did Red Zone Offense.

The Idaho Coast Offense looked better than the Texas Coast Offense.

What's the value add from McCarthy? He hasn't lifted the offense's play as OC, and hasn't lifted Dak's play as the QB Whisperer. Anyone think McCarthy is making the defense go?

McCarthy's main skill has been finding someone to throw under the bus every offseason so that *he* isn't the speed bump.

Lots of people say we gotta move on from Dak. Maybe so. I've been in favor of keeping running QBs coming in the draft until you really hit on one.

But I'd see this as a package deal. McCarthy took command of the offense, including Dak. It has fizzled. Off this his head!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Similarly it's like his passes to receiver's in motion, they tend to be at the receiver, rather than in front allowing yac.
Particularly a problem with swing passes to RBs. They're always having to twist back and catch the ball behind their shoulder instead of catching it in stride in front of them.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MM is decent, has rings, but he aint a miracle worker. This team isnt as talented as we been told. We are a dumb team. Been a dumb team since parcels left town. Discipline can cover many shortcomings. MM can instill that but won't. What happened is on him. The flags are case and point.

Sydla

Reaction score
“Lets take 1 play and create a narrative.”

McCarthy is fine. Dak’s just not capable of elevating his game.
LOL. McCarthy is fine.

I guess we are just gonna repeat the Garrett experiment. It's funny how anti-Dak some of you are that you will defend a guy who really isn't all that good.

Sydla

Reaction score
The thing is this: with all the headcoaches, OCs, receivers and tight ends Dak had over the years you're saying they all sucked but he's the one?

This alone should make it obvious to anyone, that Dak is the core of the problem. Some peeps here say his receivers arent getting open. So thats the story for 8 years now? No open receivers? Geez, sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm not saying MM is the best coach ever. (He did win a Superbowl though with a capable QB). Or that KM wasn't part of the problem. And hell do we all know that the Jones culture isn't that much of a gift to this organization. But there's an elephant in the room and it's so tiresome his homers argue around it all the time.
Find me a post where I said Dak is the one?

This just further proves my point. Some are so anti-Dak that you can't stomach criticism of any other facet of the offense as they think it takes the focus off of Dak. It's silly but it's there.

Dak isn't good. He should be cut/traded this offseason. But people defending McCarthy are a funny bunch. He's not good. He hasn't been good for over a decade. But sure, launch Dak to the sun and keep MM. Prepare yourself for more years of mediocrity then.

khiladi

Reaction score
Well, if you wanted the WCO, you got it. That's a typical pattern.

I don't even hate the concept behind that play. That's something that Kyle Shanahan might call... the trips receivers draw 3+ defenders to the far side away from the RB, the TE runs a pick, and you flare the ball to Pollard as an extended handoff. The problem was that Warner and the safety both ID'ed the play design before Dak even took 2 steps, and then they had Pollard dead to rights.

Dak might have sold it a little better with some eye movement, but that is mostly just smart defense.
yeah.. and if you watch Dak, he’s just running the play. Warner is watching his eyes and immediately flies towards Pollard.

Sydla

Reaction score
WHAT CAN McCARTHY DO WITH AN ELITE QB ?

oh wait , he won a superbowl .
13 years ago. Bill Parcells also won a SB but by the time we got him he was washed up, stagnant, predictable, etc. That's the case with McCarthy. He hasn't adapted over the years.

I really can't believe people want to repeat the Garrett experiment.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's classic deflection. Blame everyone and everything around him. The receivers can never be good enough for a guy with the limitations of Dak. There is no OC that is good enough to scheme an NFL caliber offense for a guy with the limitations of Dak. If you take Dak and put him on the 49-ers, do you seriously think he is running Shannahan's offense and making those throws you saw Purdy make?
These posts are almost like deflection, in the sense, Dak has been so bad and they’ve defended him for so long, that they got to point out the issues related to MMs play-calling, who has clearly said in more politically correct terms he’s dumbing down the offense for Dak, after they blamed Moore, because they don’t want us to focus on how much they tried to absolve Dak when Moore was calling the plays.

They still are saying Moore needed to go, but MM sucks, while now saying Dak is a problem, but he’s still not that big of a problem as you guys said, but he still isn’t good and needs to go.. and they need a completely different direction now..

The reality is as some of us have stated long ago, Dak is the Jason Garrett experiment of QBs for Dallas, meaning the decisions that are making on an organizational level, including the direction of the offense, are being catered to a guy that doesn’t have the talent level and it’s consequences are going to be far reaching.. and they have

Sydla

Reaction score
It's classic deflection. Blame everyone and everything around him. The receivers can never be good enough for a guy with the limitations of Dak. There is no OC that is good enough to scheme an NFL caliber offense for a guy with the limitations of Dak. If you take Dak and put him on the 49-ers, do you seriously think he is running Shannahan's offense and making those throws you saw Purdy make?
Who is not blaming Dak? I certainly blamed him. I have said he needs to get launched after this season. It's over.

Sydla

Reaction score
These posts are almost like deflection, in the sense, Dak has been so bad and they’ve defended him for so long, that they got to point out the issues related to MM, who has clearly said in more politically correct terms he’s dumbing down the offense for Dak, after they blamed Moore, because they don’t want us to focus on how much they tried to absolve Dak.
LOL.

So you think I am a guy who has tried to absolve Dak? You apparently don't know my posting history.

The deflection works the other way in a sense. Some are so anti-Dak that any criticism, even justified, of other players/coaches on offense is seen as an attempt to prop Dak up. Now sure, some do that, but my posting history has never been one of Dak worship. Dak needs to go. He's cooked.

But sticking with McCarthy is idiotic. He's not a good OC. He's probably just a mediocre HC at this point in his career.

khiladi

Reaction score
LOL.

So you think I am a guy who has tried to absolve Dak? You apparently don't know my posting history.

The deflection works the other way in a sense. Some are so anti-Dak that any criticism, even justified, of other players/coaches on offense is seen as an attempt to prop Dak up. Now sure, some do that, but my posting history has never been one of Dak worship. Dak needs to go. He's cooked.

But sticking with McCarthy is idiotic. He's not a good OC. He's probably just a mediocre HC at this point in his career.
Guess what?

Mike McCarthy is in control of the offense now because of the Jason Garrett experiment at QB, meaning Dak Prescott. We went the way of Jason Garrett the moment Dak was declared the starting QB of the Cowboys, ruining a shirt SB window with that RG and OL. Dak was given a no-trade clause by Jerry coming off a broken leg and the contract is now a major factor in delaying much needed moves for this organization.

This offense was dumbed down because of Dak Prescott. This was basically admitted to by everybody in the organization, including Dak..

Sydla

Reaction score
Guess what?

Mike McCarthy is in control of the offense now because of the Jason Garrett experiment at QB, meaning Dak Prescott. We went the way if Jason Garrett the moment Dak was declared the starting QB of the Cowboys, ruining a shirt SB window with that RG and OL.
None of this changes the fact McCarthy is mediocre.

That's just reality. It doesn't mean Dak is being held back. He's not. Dak is cooked. Barring some miraculous run here over the rest of the season and postseason, Dak should be cut/traded. But McCarthy should be the very next guy to exit the building.

khiladi

Reaction score
None of this changes the fact McCarthy is mediocre.

That's just reality. It doesn't mean Dak is being held back. He's not. Dak is cooked. Barring some miraculous run here over the rest of the season and postseason, Dak should be cut/traded. But McCarthy should be the very next guy to exit the building.
He is mediocre as an OC, but he was fine as a HC. Him calling plays is probably a last ditch effort to save his job, especially since he put last season PUBLICLY on Moore. Right now, the offense is and was being held back by Dak. McCarthy has proven he’s not better than Moore. The OC excuse no longer washes.

Dak needs to GO first and foremost as he’s the CULTURE in Dallas right now, not Mike McCarthy.

John813

Reaction score
Dak did the playcall no favors staring to the left the entire time too.

Going against the best ILB in football, you got to at least try to freeze him before tossing it to Pollard.

Sydla

Reaction score
He is mediocre as an OC, but he was fine as a HC. Him calling plays is probably a last ditch effort to save his job, especially since he put last season PUBLICLY on Moore. Right now, the offense is and was being held back by Dak. McCarthy has proven he’s not better than Moore. The OC excuse no longer washes.

Dak needs to GO first and foremost as he’s the CULTURE in Dallas right now, not Mike McCarthy.
I have said that at the very least, he should be stripped of his playcalling duties but the problem is he wants to do it so he's always going to meddle in the offense. The odds you can hire a young, high quality, aggressive, innovative offensive OC and QB coach to "fix" Lance or develop the next guy is slim. I mean he was part of the reason Moore was sent to the moon this past offseason. Reality is this offense was better under Moore than McCarthy thus far.

So what value is there in McCarthy being the HC if he's just going to be a meddler on offense even if he isn't the OC? No thanks. Fire his *** this offseason. There really is no justifiable reason to keep McCarthy beyond this year if it fizzles out again. Remember when he was gonna fix the penalty situation? LOL. He's mediocre as a HC too. Just get rid of him. Start over completely on offense in 2024 with a new HC/OC/QB/OL coach to work with a new QB.