1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Video: We've seen Romo deliver plenty of these type of games Dak just had, yet doesn't get the same grief?

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by SlimBig, Dec 10, 2018.

1. CB61

CB61 Zone Supporter

9,229 Messages
    5,424 Likes Received
    I do remember those Romo games and I got banned from a couple of the old sites from going off on him just like I have Prescott I do this because they are the leader of the team they are the ones supposed to be driving the bus and he doesn't make big money yet but Prescott will maybe not as much as Romo so I called any quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys accountable and I am very critical of them at times of course this year I've been called a which is not true about people are going to think what they're going to think Prescott hater

2. Gator88

Gator88 Well-Known Member

1,200 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Yeah, The Cowboys put up 31 points in regulation against a Giants defense that would carry the team to the Super Bowl including shutting down the 15-1 Packers and the Patriots in a potential revenge game in the Super Bowl. Romo had 1 chance to put the game away as the Cowboys never had the ball with more than a 1 possession lead. This was the famous play where Romo threw a pass to a wide open Miles Austin on 3rd down, but he lost it in the lights. Romo actually put together a drive that would have tied the game when he got the ball with 46 seconds left and 0 timeouts, but the 46/47 yard field goal was blocked. I just find it hilarious that you are criticizing Romo for a game where he went 21-31 for 302 yards, and 4 touchdowns, and being great in the 4th with the reasons for drives being stopped being completely out of his hands. Again, this was against a defense that was actually really good unlike the teams Dallas has faced on their current winning streak.

Teams win games, not players. Romo had 9 turnovers during those 3 games which average out to 3 a game, just like Dak had against Philly this past week. The difference was that the defense against Philly this past week held Philly to 23 points, while the defense back in 2008 gave up an average of 32 points a game against those 3 opponents. If the Cowboys gave up 32 points to Philly this last week, they would have lost, even with Dak being at QB in place of Romo.

Agree to disagree, Zeke is a better weapon than any Dallas had back in 2008, and Cooper has been much better than I gave him credit for. I would also take the current oline over most of the olines Romo played with, this includes 2008. Dak is the main one causing the total sack number to look way worse than it is. Not sure what your point about redzone scoring is, but I agree with you, I just attribute it to mostly play calling and secondarily to Dak.

Fastpitch Dad likes this.
  3. Gator88

1,200 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Ok? The point of my post is that comparing Dak going against a bad to terrible defense in current Philly to 2008 Romo going against great defenses is not a good comparison. As a side note, I'd still take the current oline over the 2008 oline. They weren't nearly as talented as people make them out to be, and they were already too old in 2007, let alone 2008.

4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

11,142 Messages
    6,762 Likes Received
    Romo tried to do too much early in his career mainly due to s lack of a supporting cast. In his final years , he was one of the best QBs in the game. Why do posters continue to compare the two? Romo was a much better QB due to his accuracy and pocket presence. Those traits he had early in his career and they only improved. Dak does not have those traits and he can improve a little, but he will never have those traits. At the end, Romo was good enough to carry his team and defenses had to respect him. Dak is not. They are two different QBs that share very little other than playing for the same team.

Fastpitch Dad and Bennie like this.
  5. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

5,560 Messages
    5,720 Likes Received
    Excellent observation.

It's unfair to compare the two at this stage of Dak's development compared to the final years of Romo. I would say however Dak seems more poised than Tony was at this stage of their careers.

Also, according to Bill Polian, Romo's pre-snap reads were second only to Peyton Manning and we get a taste of that when he's doing games now.

Dak's got a ways to go but hopefully that will come with experience.

6. CowboysBravesSpurs

CowboysBravesSpurs Well-Known Member

1,198 Messages
    1,117 Likes Received
    Are you thick in the head? It's the arguing that you mongs are doing. Stop acting dumb.

7. CowboysBravesSpurs

1,198 Messages
    1,117 Likes Received
    Right, continue ruining this site with your thousands and thousands of messages. Pathetic lmao.

8. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

20,024 Messages
    22,221 Likes Received
    Punctuation is your friend

9. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

20,024 Messages
    22,221 Likes Received
    Romo was terrible in the pocket early in his career.

Aviano90 likes this.
  10. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

13,991 Messages
    17,131 Likes Received
    You must be new to the Zone if you believe this.

11. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

33,764 Messages
    13,048 Likes Received
    Not interested in this becoming a marathon. Romo had warts Parcells said it himself and Dak has warts we can all see them. Dak is going to have to improve his accuracy and his ball security if he's going to be the long-term answer. In Romo's first 3 seasons as the starter the Cowboys made the playoffs twice and it's been the same with Dak. Dak has been more steady, poised and resilient in critical games than Romo was his first 3 seasons. When the Cowboys got way behind to the Packers in the 2016 playoffs Dak stayed patient not trying to get everything back all at once. He continued to play his game and it didn't unravel. Romo in that situation would have been throwing balls up to Dez trying to make something happen and it likely would have led to a turnover fest and a blowout loss. Our defense wasn't great in 2016 it ended up getting us beat in the playoffs.

Even last Sunday our D that had been playing so well all game long started breaking down in the 4th quarter. We didn't do Dak any favors with the receiving corp we entered the season with which is why we traded for Cooper. Dak has played much better since Coopers arrival and the team has played better. Dak isn't going to make average receivers better we saw that the first half of the season. The jury is still out on him but despite his deficiencies his leadership, determination and will to succeed is helping us win games. Players rally around him and that wasn't the case with Romo which is why some questioned his leadership. No one questions Dak's leadership.

12. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

5,746 Messages
    2,693 Likes Received
    This. Only fans who would disagree are those who are biased or have selective memory. Romo was everyone's punching bag, getting 4-5x as much criticism as Dak.

13. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

27,574 Messages
    17,975 Likes Received
    I like my good young Qb and that bothers you? You insult me for it? Get lost troll.

14. Gator88

1,200 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    I'll just agree to disagree with every one of your points other than the first one being true just like it is true for every QB ever.

15. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

5,601 Messages
    5,481 Likes Received
    I bet Dak golfs also,, but doesn't spend the time it takes to try and qualify for PGA tournaments.

16. CowboysBravesSpurs

1,198 Messages
    1,117 Likes Received
    I'm the troll??? I tell you that the Dak haters AND fanboys are annoying and ruining the fan base and you're calling ME a troll??? lmao. You're actually ridiculously.

17. Fastpitch Dad

Fastpitch Dad Well-Known Member

576 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    Excellent post.

DFWJC likes this.
  18. Fastpitch Dad

576 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    Well said. It's nice to see a post that doesn't have to bash either.

And i believe when Romo retired, he lead the league in 4th quarter comebacks for the last 6 or 7 years. I don't remember the exact numbers. I hope Dak continues to grow, but he's nowhere near what Romo was yet. I get he's still young and hopefully gets better. I just see things I'm not sure are fixable. I told my wife the same thing in 2016. I would loved to have seen Romo with this offense and defense..

CF74 likes this.
  19. Fastpitch Dad

576 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    Great job of remembering history instead of reviving. Best post yet!

20. Fastpitch Dad

576 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    Been reading this board for many, many years. You are definitely one of the better posters. Two totally different QBs. I agree with every word you said. Well done.