WFAA Blog: Wild Wed. at Valley Ranch (even the media turned on each other)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fervently hope that circumstances like this will open people's eyes to what ESPN is doing and that they'll do what I'm doing and turn the channel.

The only way anything will change is if the corporate monolith known as ESPN gets hit in its' wallet and stops the National Enquirer business plan and goes back to talking about sports.

:espn:

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
I just want to thank Nick for saying to ESPN and Werder what we all want to say **** YOU

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
stasheroo;2304733 said:
I fervently hope that circumstances like this will open people's eyes to what ESPN is doing and that they'll do what I'm doing and turn the channel.

The only way anything will change is if the corporate monolith known as ESPN gets hit in its' wallet and stops the National Enquirer business plan and goes back to talking about sports.

that will never happen.

Since espn changed management it has been like this. The popularity of the nfl network puts pressure on them also. This is how they get peoples attention.

The best reason to watch espn is to see live games. The thing I find ironic though is that the sport they televised the best and had the best announcers was for the NHL. ESPN did a terrific job with the nhl. Of course they know longer broadcast that, when they switched to the nba. Which is a league perfect for this era of espn. A whole league of showboats and outspoken jerks. Its a league where every team has at least one or two T.O.'s Perfect sport for espn.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2304733 said:

National Enquirer business plan :laugh2:

David276

Benched
Reaction score
ban me or whatever idont care anymore some of these reporters are **** straight up that just like sports and were "qualified" enough w/ the journalistic degrees to get a job where ever they are from. I would be just as annoyed as t.o , Ive noticed the quality of writing of articles and the quality of threads based on info provided has declined the past few years ive been a member. epsn is not even worth talking about its a joke w/ too much money backing from disney. sucks. whatever go cowboys. screw lame articles. :starspin

half cowboy articles are from paid people that work FOR THE COWBOYS or some biased "sports news agency" that has to expand and sensationalize "stories" . peace

Nav22

Reaction score
The thing I find ironic though is that the sport they televised the best and had the best announcers was for the NHL. ESPN did a terrific job with the nhl. Of course they know longer broadcast that, when they switched to the nba. Which is a league perfect for this era of espn. A whole league of showboats and outspoken jerks. Its a league where every team has at least one or two T.O.'s Perfect sport for espn.
Yeah, for some reason they switched to a sport that's enjoyable to watch (basketball), unlike hockey. The nerve. ;)

A tad ironic that a hockey fan is bashing the NBA for having players who are "outspoken"... I guess speaking your mind is somehow worse than fighting?

Oops, my bad... I forgot that without the fights, nobody would watch.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Looked and didn't see this posted, apologize if a repost. This is great, a media colleague accidentally, but finally, calls out ESPN on Cowboys coverage:

From www.profootballtalk.com

WERDER, EATMAN EXCHANGE PLEASANTRIES
Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2008, 5:39 p.m. EDT

There was a verbal rumble of sorts at Valley Ranch on Thursday. Though it wasn’t quite as compelling as Herrera-Kawakami I, things got heated between ESPN’s Ed Werder and Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com.

As we understand it, the problem arose from Terrell Owens’ post-game comments from the team’s Week Four loss to the Commanders. Eatman wrote an item for the Cowboys’ official web site knocking ESPN and other national media outlets for making a big deal out of T.O.’s desire to get his hands on the ball.

In the column, Eatman suggested that the question prompting the T.O. sound bite that then prompted a Monday Night Countdown free-for-all on Owens was aimed at baiting him into saying something controversial.

As we understand it, Eatman didn’t realize that Werder had asked the question.

On Thursday, Werder told Eatman that Werder had asked the question, um, in question.

Per a source with knowledge of the exchange, they debated whether the question was aimed at getting a response from Owens that then could be used as proof of a problem in Dallas. As they talked, things started to get a little heated. Eventually, Werder walked away. While doing so, he made a comment regarding Eatman’s overall credibility, given that he writes for a team-owned publication.

Eatman responded by suggesting that ESPN specifically tries to get its reporters to stir things up. And there might have been an “F” bomb or two added to the message.

Werder returned, and the two continued to jaw for a bit. Though it never got physical, others eventually stepped in to ensure that it didn’t.

Eatman’s point is a valid one. At times, it appears that the ESPN machine tries to create a story, and then to squeeze every last drop of 2 percent out of it. The fact that Werder apparently got a little defensive about the situation suggests to us that, in his heart, he suspects that there might be some merit to what Eatman said.

Of course, Werder’s point back to Eatman is a valid one as well. No writer who works for the entity that he covers is truly objective, and any item he crafts needs to be viewed through the prism that the ultimate subject of his story is the source of all or part of his livelihood. So, apparently, Werder struck a raw nerve.

Thus, we’ll call this one a draw. Maybe there will be a rematch.

Boysboy

Reaction score
In the future, I hope Owens doesn't do any more post-game PCs. Overall, I think he's handling himself just fine. However-reporters just persist to bait him with answers to their sensationalistic questions.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
OK, I give up on defending Mosley. This is from his 'mailbag' this morning...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-4-14/The-Mosley-Mailbag-begins-in-3-2-1.html

Sniper1532 writes: Way to go and attack the reports for the Cowboys. Wow, you guys (ESPN) only get worse, and people like you who just love to hate on the Cowboys and T.O., but that's OK. I stopped watching you guys a long time ago for this reason. You guys know what T.O. is gonna say when you ask questions like, "Did you get the ball enough?" I mean come on.

Mosley: Sniper, this e-mail actually warms my heart. The folks in the "Cowboys bias" camp never knew my reputation as an alleged "Cowboys hater," as you put it. If I can reach across the aisle (I watched the Palin-Biden debate), then we've reached some bipartisanship on the blog.

To your T.O. point, my colleague and good friend Ed Werder is the reporter who asked the question you referenced. There's a laughable premise that T.O. should somehow be protected from himself by people working in the media. T.O. has stated after several games that he didn't receive enough passes, which makes him a lot like most star receivers in this league. I'm not sure Ed phrased the question exactly like you did, but even if he did, what the heck's wrong with it? T.O. seemed visibly upset when he'd come to the sideline. This sort of behavior might lead a reporter to ask whether he felt like he was being used properly.

I've defended T.O. several times in the past and I'm taken him to task when I think he's in the wrong. This notion that we shouldn't take the chance of asking a question that might cause someone to say something that they will later be criticized for is ridiculous. Given T.O.'s history with quarterbacks, it makes sense to pursue this line of questioning. A reporter from the Cowboys' in-house Internet operation apparently accused Ed of lacking objectivity, which led to an entertaining exchange at Valley Ranch on Wednesday. And Sniper, I'm sorry if you've actually stopped watching ESPN. I'm certainly happy that you're still supporting ESPN.com...
--------------------------------------

It was the other way around. Werder challenged Eatman first by pretty much saying he can't be objective because he works for DC.com.

ESPN = The Dark Side.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Nav22;2305045 said:
Yeah, for some reason they switched to a sport that's enjoyable to watch (basketball), unlike hockey. The nerve. ;)

A tad ironic that a hockey fan is bashing the NBA for having players who are "outspoken"... I guess speaking your mind is somehow worse than fighting?

Oops, my bad... I forgot that without the fights, nobody would watch.

That is your opinion. I love the nhl and think it is extremely more interesting than the nba. Besides the nba is already on tnt.

if you dont like it that is fine. I dont watch it for the fights, but it is part of the sport. And besides I would rather watch guys fight and get their beef over with than yell at each other and make tough guy remarks after the game like in the nba. usually when there is a fight it looks like two girls are fighting in the nba. They each bump each others chest and then give evil stares....in the nhl its okay go...and the tougher guy wins. end of story.

oh and the nhl players give a high effort everynight which is more than can be said for the ripoff experience the nba is.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Valley Ranch verbal battles but no flying fists...yet

8:20 AM Fri, Oct 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

There were a couple of media skirmishes at Valley Ranch this week. Coincidentally, both centered around T.O.

The undercard was a war of words over the credibility of our very own Calvin Watkins' Tuesday story that T.O. told Tony Romo he was unhappy with the way the Cowboys quarterback was throwing him the ball. The Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill came back Wednesday with a story that T.O. told Tony Romo no such thing.

Mike Irvin on his Wednesday ESPN radio show played the Mike Wallace role in an effort to determine which story was more accurate. Then Channel 8 interviewed Watkins and Hill.

Then came...

A brush-up between ESPN's Eddie Werder and dallascowboy.com's Nick Eatman over stirring the pot vs. home cooking.

In writing for the team's website, Eatman attacked a question Werder asked T.O. Eatman accused Werder and the ESPN Empire of wanting to see T.O. go down in flames.Werder later confronted Eatman and questioned the credibility of someone who writes for a Cowboys-owned enterprise.

As in the case with most media tiffs, words (some not nice) flew back and forth but it never got physical.

Just to prove that all is not always confrontational with folks who call the Valley Ranch press room home, you should know that the Star-Telegram's Hill was a groomsman in The News' Calvin Watkins wedding.

And by the way, this post established a sports media blog record (5) for links.

Boysboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2305375 said:
Valley Ranch verbal battles but no flying fists...yet

8:20 AM Fri, Oct 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

There were a couple of media skirmishes at Valley Ranch this week. Coincidentally, both centered around T.O.

The undercard was a war of words over the credibility of our very own Calvin Watkins' Tuesday story that T.O. told Tony Romo he was unhappy with the way the Cowboys quarterback was throwing him the ball. The Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill came back Wednesday with a story that T.O. told Tony Romo no such thing.

Oh yah-Calvin sure had those "multiple sources" on this story b/c he has the players' phone numbers. tyke? Are you reading this now?

Could the DMN *please* FIRE Watkins now??:bang2:

superpunk

Reaction score
theebs;2305369 said:
That is your opinion. I love the nhl and think it is extremely more interesting than the nba. Besides the nba is already on tnt.

if you dont like it that is fine. I dont watch it for the fights, but it is part of the sport. And besides I would rather watch guys fight and get their beef over with than yell at each other and make tough guy remarks after the game like in the nba. usually when there is a fight it looks like two girls are fighting in the nba. They each bump each others chest and then give evil stares....in the nhl its okay go...and the tougher guy wins. end of story.

oh and the nhl players give a high effort everynight which is more than can be said for the ripoff experience the nba is.
NBA is decent, NHL is fantastic, if you can ever figure out where the heck Versus is. If you think it's all about the fights, you simply don't know what you're talking about, and should probably keep your uninformed opinion on the sport to yourself.

:)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;2305381 said:
NBA is decent, NHL is fantastic, if you can ever figure out where the heck Versus is. If you think it's all about the fights, you simply don't know what you're talking about, and should probably keep your uninformed opinion on the sport to yourself.

:)

yeah it really sucks that hockey is on vs. I dont even think they are on hdnet anymore.

Espn did the best job of broadcasting the nhl. Gary Thorne is terrifc in the boothe.

Locally here in Dallas, the announcing team is fantastic. I just wish it was better nationally.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
If I was Jerry Jones.....I ask ESPN reporters to stay out of team's locker room plain and simple.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2305443 said:
If I was Jerry Jones.....I ask ESPN reporters to stay out of team's locker room plain and simple.

Jerry would never do that. Jerry craves publicity in any form. He wouldn't care if ESPN bashed us 24/7 as long as they were talking about the team.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2305445 said:
Jerry would never do that. Jerry craves publicity in any form. He wouldn't care if ESPN bashed us 24/7 as long as they were talking about the team.

...and I get that. I'd just like to see Jerry use a little of his power and cut ESPN out for a while. Not too mention it would be a huge story in itself. It's not like Jerry needs ESPN. It's the other way around.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2305445 said:

Even after the GB win AND Owens was perceived as being this great team player, Werder and ESPN STILL reported doom and gloom 24/7 how Owens was unhappy, etc, etc.

Jerry Jones or no, we're the Dallas Cowboys-get used to it.