WFAN report-Jones to Match Garrett offer

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Listening to Mike and the Mad Dog this afternoon, they reported that Jerry Jones said he will match the contract offer from the RAvens for Garret, sight unseen. No matter what they offer JJ will match it. He will also guarantee that Garret will be Cowboys head coach when WAde Phillips leaves.

No link as I was listening to them over Directv.

Which deal will Garrett take?

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Money-wise I can understand. But no way he can "guarantee" the job (in the open) with the Rooney rule in place.

TonyS

Reaction score
JJ is going to pay an assistant 3-4 mil per year? Sounds like a Danny Snyder move. Sounds like trading two first round picks. Sounds like the 1996-2004 JJ is back in charge.

Is there no talent in this league at the coaching level? I call B.S. on this report.

Boysboy

Reaction score
TonyS;1906988 said:
JJ is going to pay an assistant 3-4 mil per year? Sounds like a Danny Snyder move. Sounds like trading two first round picks. Sounds like the 1996-2004 JJ is back in charge.

Is there no talent in this league at the coaching level? I call B.S. on this report.

Eagles did it with Childress and Jim Johnson when they were courted for HC jobs a few years back. The Bucs also did the same with Monte Kiffen when he was courted as well.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If that is the case, then just get rid of Wade and let Garrett do his thing. If you have that much faith in him, why mess around with Wade if he truly believes that Garrett will be the man for years to come?

Big Dakota

Reaction score
If he's smart he stays here. He's got his QB, RB, D and billion dollar stadium. Besides, it's the most high profile job in sports.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TonyS;1906988 said:

How does Jerry overpaying for a OC come anywhere close to trading two 1st round picks? Has coaching contracts now been added to our cap number? I guess I missed that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mavs Man;1906986 said:
Money-wise I can understand. But no way he can "guarantee" the job (in the open) with the Rooney rule in place.
Why not?

Jerry will still interview to get within compliance of the agreement with the understanding with Garrett he is next in line. Correct?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1906986 said:

That's another area where the Rooney Rule fails...

Boysboy

Reaction score
numnuts23;1906998 said:
How does Jerry overpaying for a OC come anywhere close to trading two 1st round picks? Has coaching contracts now been added to our cap number? I guess I missed that.

The Skins did nothing wrong when they made Saunders and Williams the highest paid assistants, it's that after years of over-spending on over-the-hill FAs and throwing away draft picks for them, they've become the laughing stock-so when football fans here they over-pay for [such and such person], peoples' initial perceptions are just that...to find it laughable.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1906986 said:
Yes, you can. That is the one exemption of the Rooney Rule.

I owe the knowledge of this to Skins&Terps. I did not know it until last week.

Nav22

Reaction score
Sounds like a Danny Snyder move. Sounds like trading two first round picks. Sounds like the 1996-2004 JJ is back in charge.
Sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. How does paying an assistant coach more money negatively affect the team in any way?

TonyS

Reaction score
numnuts23;1906998 said:

Let's see, Jerry reaching and overextending to keep an OC here and Jerry reaching and overextending to pick up a receiver he believed was the final piece to our puzzle. Seems like these come pretty close.

I doubt it is the truth anyway, however, as some astute posters pointed out that it would break the spirit of the diversity rule.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1906986 said:

He can do what little danny did and guarantee Jason a couple million if he's doesn't get the HC job after Wade leaves.

khiladi

Reaction score
FloridaRob;1906984 said:
Listening to Mike and the Mad Dog this afternoon, they reported that Jerry Jones said he will match the contract offer from the RAvens for Garret, sight unseen. No matter what they offer JJ will match it. He will also guarantee that Garret will be Cowboys head coach when WAde Phillips leaves.

No link as I was listening to them over Directv.

Which deal will Garrett take?

Based upon what source????