WFAN report-Jones to Match Garrett offer

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1906997 said:
If he's smart he stays here. He's got his QB, RB, D and billion dollar stadium. Besides, it's the most high profile job in sports.
Exactly. Groom yourself for a short while longer and take over for 10 to 15 years at the helm of the best ship in the fleet.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Hostile;1907014 said:
Yes, you can. That is the one exemption of the Rooney Rule.

I owe the knowledge of this to Skins&Terps. I did not know it until last week.

Really? :eek:

I stand corrected, then.

So you conduct interviews, even though you're already contractually obligated to hire the assistant (i.e. Greg Williams, Jason Garrett)? Seems a bit odd.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1907031 said:
Really? :eek:

I stand corrected, then.

So you conduct interviews, even though you're already contractually obligated to hire the assistant (i.e. Greg Williams, Jason Garrett)? Seems a bit odd.
No, if you have this deal in place, you do not need to conduct any interviews.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I'm a Mets fan and listen to WFAN all summer and these bozos are wrong much more often than they are right. Most of the time they are just speculating with no real sources.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1907020 said:
He can do what little danny did and guarantee Jason a couple million if he's doesn't get the HC job after Wade leaves.

Yeah, I was thinking it'd be the case that Garrett would get compensation if he DIDN'T eventually get the job - which is hardly a guarantee.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;1907037 said:

Interesting, I thought I was the only guy that had this line of reasoning.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Hostile;1907037 said:

Wow. That is an exemption.

Seems like that's exactly the case they would want to avoid. Why even have the rule?

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1907038 said:
I'm a Mets fan and listen to WFAN all summer and these bozos are wrong much more often than they are right. Most of the time they are just speculating with no real sources.

I agree BD, I am a Met fan too and listen to their ranting a lot but the way they said this was differnt than if they were offering an opinion. They said it as fact....

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Hostile;1907014 said:
Yes, you can. That is the one exemption of the Rooney Rule.

I owe the knowledge of this to Skins&Terps. I did not know it until last week.

Yeah I thought if you promote from within, you do not have to do the token interview.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
FloridaRob;1907044 said:
I agree BD, I am a Met fan too and listen to their ranting a lot but the way they said this was differnt than if they were offering an opinion. They said it as fact....

I sure hope so, and in this case i wouldn't be at all surprised if Jerry does what they say, but it's still Fatso and Fruit Loops;)

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
TonyS;1906988 said:
JJ is going to pay an assistant 3-4 mil per year? Sounds like a Danny Snyder move. Sounds like trading two first round picks. Sounds like the 1996-2004 JJ is back in charge.

Is there no talent in this league at the coaching level? I call B.S. on this report.

Sounds like it's HIS money. Hrmmm...

Reaction score
FloridaRob;1906984 said:
Listening to Mike and the Mad Dog this afternoon, they reported that Jerry Jones said he will match the contract offer from the RAvens for Garret, sight unseen. No matter what they offer JJ will match it. He will also guarantee that Garret will be Cowboys head coach when WAde Phillips leaves.

No link as I was listening to them over Directv.

Which deal will Garrett take?

matching the $$$$ i can see. the rooney rule prohibits the promise of coaching positions since minorities must be interviewed.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
Cowboy Bill Watts;1907060 said:
matching the $$$$ i can see. the rooney rule prohibits the promise of coaching positions since minorities must be interviewed.
Are you sure about that? When Gibbs first retired, there was a report that Gregg Williams had a contractual right to be the next head coach. People said that that clause fit within an exception to the Rooney Rule. It turned out that Williams did not have that clause, but I think that owners are able to promise head coaching spots for the future without interviewing minority candidates.

RW31

Reaction score
is he really dumb enough to go to the team that offers him more money instead of a better job? :laugh2: