WFAN report-Jones to Match Garrett offer

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1906986 said:
Money-wise I can understand. But no way he can "guarantee" the job (in the open) with the Rooney rule in place.

on the surface i understand. but you can't sneak in a "but you really should" on a policy like this. the interview - AS STATED - only says you need to interview a minority, NOT hire them. so he's free and always has been to hire who he wants.

which, while some good things have come out of it, makes the rule a complete joke.

jones never had to say he'd even consider hiring a minority - only interview them. now if that's the purpose of the rule, great. should be no problem with jones guaranteeing the job to anyone at all.

yes it flies in the face of common sense but so does a rule with no teeth. like "no you can't go to miami - you must stay in dallas" well, unless you quit. then you only can't go to miami for 7 days...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
tnbk;1907209 said:
I am starting to like JG less and less....
Same here. All the talk about him levering the Baltimore offer and trying to get more teams interested to drive his price up... Meh.

Is it a neat story that he played here for years and has the Ivy League degree? Yes. Do I want to lose him? No. But in hearing a few interviews with him and seeing his spots on the coaching show, I almost get a feeling that he's very aware he's the Boy Genuis, and there's almost some arrogance there. He seems very calculated and cold. I don't really care for the fact that he doesn't seem to really give Wade any credit for giving him pretty much total autonomy. The head coach doesn't have to do that... Just ask Tony Sprarano.

Just a feeling I get.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
There's no salary cap on coaches. Why would this be a bad decision? Jerry has all the money in the world. This is in no way like trading 2 1st rounders, as one poster mentined.

sago1

Reaction score
Doubt Garrett is that cold but he is just being careful to ensure he and his wife will be monetary comfortable for rest of their life & he also ensures he gets the job he really wants (hopefully Cowboys and not Ravens). We will see what happens over the next 24 hours or so.

BTW: Garrett has been described by various people as relating well to people, very smart, etc. I do remember a scene on the sidelines many weeks ago when Romo and Garrett were standing around talking and Garrett (with a big smile on his face) used his shoulder to shove Romo just a little and Romo (also with a really big smile on his face and obviously in a very joking manner) then using his right shoulder gave Garrett a much stronger shove really knocking him aside. It just struck me they appeared to have an excellent relationship which both very comfortable with. It was very late in the game and Cowboys had a huge lead; Romo might even have been out of the game by then.

I also read somewhere that occasionally in the offseason (don't know about during the regular season) that they 2 of them would meet at VR sometimes in the evening to throw the football around and talk about the offensive system, etc.

I've always had the hope that Garrett and Romo were close enough that Garrett really didn't want to leave the Cowboys. In fact Romo was once quoted in the newspaper as saying Garrett would obviously get coaching opportunities elsewhere but that he (Romo) intended to have a say in whether Garrett would leave.

Realize this could all be wishful thinking if Garrett wants to become a HC now and doesn't care what kind of offensive personnel now on board with the Ravens, etc. Also if it turns out Garrett is set on the Ravens and it turns out he wants bring Cameron on board as their OC, hope Jerry Jones goes after Cameron in a big way.

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
I read somewhere, might have been on this forum, that JG and his wife met with the Ravens owner today. I dont think you drag the wife to Baltimore if you are just going to take a raise from Jerry and stay in Dallas

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
Money isn't an issue for red he needs the right qb to fit his system. I'm pretty sure these are the discussions he's having with balt. and atlanta. I don't blame him tony isn't the right qb for his system and he's smart enough to figure that out. The guy didn't go to princeton for nothing.