WFT to part with Alex Smith

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Smith has a $24.4 million cap hit & Washington would save $13.8 million if they eleased him.

KB1122

Reaction score
IF we were a contender, he'd be a great backup. Might be a good backup for a rookie starter, if that happens.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
IF we were a contender, he'd be a great backup. Might be a good backup for a rookie starter, if that happens.

If he was going to start anywhere, I think the Bears are a possibility as a stopgap to compete with Nick Foles.

Praxit

Reaction score
..does that mean he's to expensive or that injury left him a former shade of himself?

Carson

Reaction score
..does that mean he's to expensive or that injury left him a former shade of himself?

Too expensive. Plus they saved over 13 million releasing him.

They will sign a few big time FAs next week like Anthony Harris

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind us bringing him in! Especially if we decide to let Dak go, Alex Smith would make a nice one year bridge for whoever we draft to eventually replace Dak. Alex Smith would give us a bit more time to develop a QB. Bring in Smith! Draft a QB in that situation, and use the rest of the picks on defence (which we MUST do!).

Carson

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind us bringing him in! Especially if we decide to let Dak go, Alex Smith would make a nice one year bridge for whoever we draft to eventually replace Dak. Alex Smith would give us a bit more time to develop a QB. Bring in Smith!

So next year would be Alex Smith vs Dak Prescott. Smith a Cowboy and Dak would be in Washington lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If the Cowboys sign Smith, would that impact their comp pick for losing Dalton? If the answer is yes, I'm tempted to ride with Gilbert.

The answer is no because Alex Smith is a released player. As I understand it, if you sign a released player, it does not count against the cap. We could sign 4 released players to replace players we lose on due to their contract expiring, and it wouldn't impact comp picks. It's only when your players contracts are expired, and you sign a player whose contract also expired:

"Keep in mind: Players need to have been signed as unrestricted free agents before April 27 and rank high enough among their peers to qualify for the compensatory-pick formula. They also cannot have been released by their previous team. Only those notable players who are projected to be eligible for the compensatory-pick formula are included among the key additions and losses listed below."

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-d...k-projections-for-every-team-0ap3000001112252

Or at least that's the way I read the above. Because they are released, they're not eligible for comp picks to the team that released them which, in my understanding, means they wouldn't count against us in comp picks if we sign them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So next year would be Alex Smith vs Dak Prescott. Smith a Cowboy and Dak would be in Washington lol

I think Dak should go to Chicago if he is let go from here. I think Chicago fits his skills much better, and they have a better cap situation than WFT. Not to mention that QB has been a nagging issue for Chicago for a very long time. They never seem to be able to get a good one. So, I suspect that, if we do not sign Dak, Chicago would be able to outmuscle WFT. Furthermore, Dak does well against the NFC North usually. This is something the Bears DON'T do well against their division rivals. Dak has held his own against Rodgers when he's played him. Not something most of the Bears QBs can say. Dak owns Detroit, and he's played well against Minnesota. I really think Chicago is perfect for Dak, and Dak would be perfect for Chicago.