What’s been the best of the last 23 seasons?

JustChip

Reaction score
The 2007 team was better, but as far as what I enjoyed the most, that was the 2016 season. I had zero expectations when Tony went down in preseason. To then go 13-3, get a 1st round bye and host the Divisional game was just special. The atmosphere at that game was electric and to go down to the very last play was as exciting as could be, save for the fact we lost.

In a way, this year was a relatively close 2nd for me simply because of where we were after 8 games. As with 2016, I had no expectations at that point we would win the East or make the playoffs. In this regard, it was similar to 1970 when we got embarrassed 38-0 at the Cotton Bowl by the Sant (as Landry pronounced it) Louis Cardinals in the middle of the season and fell I think to 5-4. But we went on from there and made it to the SB including a thrilling 5-0 playoff win over the Lions.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Yeah sure. There is 0% chance the cowboys could beat them. :rolleyes:

As between your claim that ‘if the Cowboys get past the Giants they win the Super Bowl that year’ and mine that they had ‘no chance’ of beating an undefeated Pats team that crushed the Cowboys earlier that year, I’ve no doubt that yours is far less realistic.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
It would be 2007, 2014, or 2016. But the way they all ended left a bad taste in my mouth. I at least thought it was the start of something but I later discovered I was wrong.
2009 is the only other positive year among those. 2014 the Dez No Catch/Catch thing kept us from the championship game.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
2007, 2009, 2014 and 2016 were all really fun

I still believe the 2014 team wins the Super Bowl if the Dez catch is upheld

To me Romo showed us at least that year that he could get us to a championship game. It would've been considered a catch in the 90's. It is considered a catch by the current rules. Jipped

JustChip

Reaction score
To me Romo showed us at least that year that he could get us to a championship game. It would've been considered a catch in the 90's. It is considered a catch by the current rules. Jipped

The only problem, however, is that even if that catch had been upheld and they scored a TD, the defense still would've had to do what they couldn't do - stop Green Bay on the ensuing possession. GB would've simply needed a FG to tie or win (depending on whether Dallas made the 2-pt conversion). It's the same with the 2006 Seattle game. Dallas still was in prime position after the botched FG to win had the defense done their job.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
I would say both 2007 and 2016 teams. They had similar aspects. Both were super hot during the season with new young QBs and a physical running game. 2016 leaned more heavily on the run but both teams had playmaking QBs who did enough to not lose the game. 2007 scored more points. 2016 had less turnovers. I would take the 2007 defense though. The scheme was better.

GMO415

Reaction score
After watching the conference championship games today for the 23rd year without the Cowboys, my depressed mind turned to wondering a sad question- which of the last 23 seasons was “the best”? Still amazes me that none of those 23 included even a divisional playoff win.

But with that said, I would have to say either the
1. 2007 season which was Romo’s breakout season when they went 13-3 and probably had their best team and best chance to win it all.

2. Or the 2016 team that also went 13-3 unexpectedly during Dak and Zeke’s rookie season. It came out of nowhere which made it doubly fun and doubly disappointing when we lost to the packers.

Sad to say that two seasons where we won 13 games yet didn’t win a playoff game are the two seasons I enjoyed most in the last 23.

As a Cowboys fan since 1964, I cannot believe how frustrating it is to watch another season pass without much to show for it.
I hear ya Haze.....I'm getting too used to it.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Amazing isn’t it? Those are scraps we have to appreciate.

Yes, Haze, we have scraps. This is really frustrating indeed. 23 seasons (or opportunities) to win a Super Bowl and nothing to show for it. All we have is "if Jimmy Johnson stayed a few more years...", "if Romo stayed home and prepared for the next game instead of going to Cancun", and other what ifs. It is the constant mediocrity that gets me and a whole lot of other Cowboys fans just bewildered. We all know JJones will not change, Or Stephen Jones for that matter. But I will stick with my Cowboys. Just want the organization to rise to the top again.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the year that Emmitt broke the NFL rushing record was fun. We had a below average team, but it was a lot of fun to track his progress as he got closer. And the day he beat the record was so special and memorable.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best part of the last 23 seasons was Jerry turning over the draft and talent evaluation to McClay . Next year will be the best in the last 23.

Hadenough

Reaction score
2014 is the year for me. We all talk about the Dez catch non catch but the turning point in the game was the Murray fumble when he was running through a hole the size of a car and had nothing but open field to the endzone when a finger tip knocked the ball out. I cant remember what the score was at the time but I think Dallas was ahead by 13 points and it would of been a 20 point lead. Instead that play ignited the packers. One thing that really bother me though was Murray had been run into the ground all season but still Garrett insisted on NOT playing the underwear thief. I think if Randle plays more during the season then Murray is fresher and holds onto the ball.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
2007 for sure. We hadn’t had a team that good in over a decade and there were some great wins that season. We had 13 Pro Bowlers that year.

2014 was great too but I never thought that team would win it all. The defense was below average.

The thing I’ve enjoyed most since the Triplets era were BP’s press conferences. I never missed one.

HungryLion

Reaction score
As between your claim that ‘if the Cowboys get past the Giants they win the Super Bowl that year’ and mine that they had ‘no chance’ of beating an undefeated Pats team that crushed the Cowboys earlier that year, I’ve no doubt that yours is far less realistic.

That’s why I said, in my opinion. Which is less concrete than your claim of “no chance”

Flamma

Reaction score
Amazing isn’t it? Those are scraps we have to appreciate.

For me it's the three seasons mentioned in the first two posts. The sad part is, I thought we were back to kicking *** in 2007. Back to being a force for years to come. That would be about on par with how long the wait was from the last time Dallas was relevant.