What’s the Red Rifle worth?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think he will honestly. Patriots, Colts, and Steelers (if Ben retires) all come to mind who may jump at the opportunity. Hell maybe even the Commanders
I'm convinced Commanders would if they have the money and they should since most of their best players are still on rookie deals....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yeah. What’s a fair deal for both the team and Andy. If we choose to let Dak walk because he wants too much I say a 3 yr 35 mil would get it done.

If your plan is to let Dak walk and invest $35 million in Dalton as the starter you are in for major disappointment.

Dalton hasn't beaten a team with a winning record in Dallas, and he's never won a playoff game in his entire career.

Yeah, let's build around that guy because we're giddy after 3 wins against bad teams. :muttley:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Not really.

QB is the most important position in sports, and it's not close. You can have a DL of Aaron Donald, The Watts, and the Bosas but if your quarterback is Mitch Trubisky, you aren't going anywhere. The price will only keep going up. What you might see less of is the Jacoby Brisset contracts, but the price for top guys isn't going to stop going up.

Jimmy Garrapolo sucks as a QB and he was in the super bowl last year. There have been a rather long list of mediocre QB's to make, and even win, the big game. What you aren't going to find is any really crappy teams that won due to a great QB.

Regardless, I'm not arguing that Mahomes and Rodgers aren't difference makers. I'm arguing that once you get to the middle of the pack QB's, they are eminently replaceable. Once you get down to those guys then the players around them have more effect on wins and losses than the QB does.

Hell, this year for the Cowboys has been a year long case study in this. Earlier this year, the defense was terrible and the team was terrible regardless of QB play. Now, later in the year the team is playing better and a rather mediocre QB is looking much better than he did last year on a crappy team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah. What’s a fair deal for both the team and Andy. If we choose to let Dak walk because he wants too much I say a 3 yr 35 mil would get it done.

If you need a qb that can beat the bottom dwellers of the nfl, with 2nd and third string qb’s and with the defense spotting you 3 turnovers a game, then dalton is your guy.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we can't offer him anything because the stats prescott groupies would have a crying fit. so

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Prescott isn't going anywhere so if Dalton wants to remain a Cowboy he'll need to accept another backup QB deal. It's not like a lone single good game has shot Dalton's demand through the roof. Dalton had a good game against a bad team. Gilbert almost beat an undefeated team and Gilbert had a lot less time with the Cowboys than Dalton has had.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would put Dalton around what Phillip Rivers salary is with Indy ($25M) so given Dalton turns 34 next October I would offer him a 2-year deal worth $50M with $25M guaranteed.

All that for a backup QB that had a one,singular good game against a bad team. That God you don't have anything to do with the Cowboys.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
There is no way Dak isn't our starting QB next season so Andy won't be here. He won't sign a back up QB's contract here when there will be 2 or 3 teams interested in giving him starter money and status. This current situation is just him putting himself in the shop window.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If the team is performing well we would have to shell out a ton of draft capital as it would likely take a top 5 pick to secure potentially the qb of the future.

Why would the Cowboys WASTE valuable draft capital to draft a top 5 QB when they will have Prescott they're QB of the future? You're another one I thank God you have nothing to do with the Cowboys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There is no way Dak isn't our starting QB next season so Andy won't be here. He won't sign a back up QB's contract here when there will be 2 or 3 teams interested in giving him starter money and status. This current situation is just him putting himself in the shop window.

Actually those teams you THINK will be interested really won't be because they will see that Dalton had ONE good game against a bad team and that's not enough to get teams to toss around starting money for him.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton isn't going anywhere.......sorry but bad news upcoming for all doubters.....:(

Motorola

Reaction score
that what the NON Exclusive tag will accomplish,,
I think he will honestly. Patriots, Colts, and Steelers (if Ben retires) all come to mind who may jump at the opportunity. Hell maybe even the Commanders
Maybe let Dak test the market? He won't find $38m out there and then we can we get a balanced deal completed.
Maybe that's the best way to resolve this issue, especially if the negotiations this off-season begin to drag out similar to 2020.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fitzpatrick was 2x$11, so I'd do 3x$5m. EDIT - take that back. I wouldn't give him that much when a guy like Henne is getting half.

Dalton's not a starter. If some team signs him as one, it's because they know it's just a bridge, but Dallas would be stupid to give him that money.
From what I read before the season, he wanted to look for a starting job this coming off season. However, I wonder if that concussion changed his focus.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Yes, but if say Dalton gets the Cowboys to the superbowl (unlikely) you can expect a contract around the 22-25 mil range.
If Dalton gets these Cowboys to the Super Bowl, I'll get a tattoo of "Big Brid" on my forehead and i'm in sales.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMTqrO6sieb2escC1jY3xrNRmP3nsI_ptHTA&usqp=CAU

NeathBlue

Reaction score
If we make the playoffs, win a game and he plays well... he’s hopefully worth a 3rd round compensation pick.

starcity214

Reaction score
Lol! To be the starter.... right!!! Try somewhere in the 26 to 30 a year area. Just sign Dak! Your welcome!

Dalton doesnt strike me as a greedy person.
Besides, hes already made his money throughout his career. If he is smart, he takes 10 mil a year and gets to play on a stacked te to end his career and build his legacy in his home state

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually those teams you THINK will be interested really won't be because they will see that Dalton had ONE good game against a bad team and that's not enough to get teams to toss around starting money for him.
Having had 'only' 1 good game so far, at a new team with new team mates with which he shared practically zero off season, merely serves to underline that he is still a starting caliber QB. He will be viewed by potential teams for what he has shown over his whole career, not just the last 6 weeks.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He can increase his value tremendously in the next couple of weeks. He won a win or go home game last week and has another this week in week 17, which non of our other recent QBs have been able to win with the division on the line. Then we will see if he can improve upon his horrible playoff record. If he can do that he should go get his money.