What’s the struggle?

blumayne38

Reaction score
@blumayne38, my original response to your post was not intended to be combative or offensive. I'm really not a combative person. I was simply trying to point out that you had been arguing Dak was a slow starter and when someone pushed back on that specific point, you changed to he was the same throughout and that was the problem. Frankly, I wasn't even saying you are wrong about Dak, which is why I said everyone has a right to their opinion.
If we don’t think he has slow starts then something is seriously wrong idc what stat anyone puts up...and hey man you’re awesome and I enjoy discussions arguments and irrational responses, knee jerk reactions (I have made many) lol why I love the zone!:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
If we don’t think he has slow starts then something is seriously wrong idc what stat anyone puts up...
So here's the problem...
The Cowboys were a better-than-average offensive team in the first quarter. They were a very poor offensive team in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
The Cowboys scored more points on opening drives (2.4 pts/drive) than they did in games overall (2.1 points/drive).
Dak's yards per attempt and AY/A were best in the first quarter. His passer rating was a little lower, but that's misleading because he ran for 2 TDs in first quarters and only 1 in 2nd and 3rd quarters combined. He also took many fewer sacks in the first quarter than he did later in games.
The Cowboys moved the ball well and scored in both playoff opening drives. Dak went 4-5 for 39 yards on the opening drive against Seattle, and 3-3 for 48 yards and a TD in the opening drive against the Rams.

So that's why I think Dak doesn't have slow starts. Specifically, he and the offense were at their best in 1st and 4th quarters, and really struggled in 2nd and 3rd quarters.
Why do you think he does have slow starts?

blumayne38

Reaction score
So here's the problem...
The Cowboys were a better-than-average offensive team in the first quarter. They were a very poor offensive team in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
The Cowboys scored more points on opening drives (2.4 pts/drive) than they did in games overall (2.1 points/drive).
Dak's yards per attempt and AY/A were best in the first quarter. His passer rating was a little lower, but that's misleading because he ran for 2 TDs in first quarters and only 1 in 2nd and 3rd quarters combined. He also took many fewer sacks in the first quarter than he did later in games.
The Cowboys moved the ball well and scored in both playoff opening drives. Dak went 4-5 for 39 yards on the opening drive against Seattle, and 3-3 for 48 yards and a TD in the opening drive against the Rams.

So that's why I think Dak doesn't have slow starts. Specifically, he and the offense were at their best in 1st and 4th quarters, and really struggled in 2nd and 3rd quarters.
Why do you think he does have slow starts?
Because that’s what I have seen, and he never seems to get going. We score a lot of field goals and I feel like you’re counting those as scoring drives which is fair. And I have no problem with that. But in the grand scheme you wanna put 7 on the board every chance you get...also feel like I should mention again that he has a huge issue driving the football down the field when drives start on our side of the field even the 45-40 along with the 20-25 Yrd lines. I went to pro football reference and I wish I had the patience to post stats on my cell phone but I don’t. (Need a computer)I know that this stat dosent tell the story of the first quarter and if Dak does or does not struggle in the 1st quarter. But I don’t ever remember us here in the zone or media personnel mentioning that Dallas scores on the first possession regularly or consistently.