What a difference between this coaching staff and the prior regime?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett NEVER had to deal with anything close to last year. You know it, I know it.

One of MANY.

I guess it was the part where his record was posted. Different from what you’re saying here.

It sure seems like you’re trying.

I see more than that, regardless of the final outcome. A very good team is being built here. For this season and barring a mass exodus, several more.

Be honest and admit that the team is in better hands than it ever was under Garrett.
A very good team was already built here offensively.

And the last two drafts have added some talent and playmakers on defense not to mention another playmaker on offense.

We should be seeing an improvement in coaching with more experience and proven success.

Ultimately in the end the results will matter for the final measurement or it will just be another bitter pill to swallow. Maybe more bitter with a more talented team and better coaching.

JBond

Reaction score
I try to consider the source. visionary, CowboyRoy, stilltheguru,…the important thing is they all try really hard.

If nobody really cares what they think about football, at least we can have some fun with what they think about their catnip.

And by that, I mean me. I’m their catnip.
Adults not scared of the owner. Allowing the kids to play. Better prep. A, B, C, or all of the above D. Answer...D All of the above

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is Jethro going to be happy this time if our HC receives more credit than him for winning a SB?

Do we really believe the foolishness is over for our dysfunctional ownership ?

ESisback

Reaction score
Is Jethro going to be happy this time if our HC receives more credit than him for winning a SB?

Do we really believe the foolishness is over for our dysfunctional ownership ?

First question: I believe he would value a SB win more now. My question…if we win, might he announce a retirement?

2nd question: I believe most of us would think the bulk of the foolishness would at least go into hibernation. Nothing lasts forever, though. Eventually they would get “stupid” again!

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
First question: I believe he would value a SB win more now. My question…if we win, might he announce a retirement?

2nd question: I believe most of us would think the bulk of the foolishness would at least go into hibernation. Nothing lasts forever, though. Eventually they would get “stupid” again!
First of all, Jethro has eventually pooped on every good situation we’ve had. Winning wasn’t enough.

I wish I could believe he’d ride off into the sunset but I truly believe he loves it as much or more as he ever has with no intention to step aside.

And to his credit which I applaud and am envy of at my age he has his health as he approaches 80 next year. I expect him to continue on as long as he’s physically able.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
One thing that I absolutely love, love, love, no matter who’s responsible or how we got there. Has anyone else noticed that this team is no longer afraid to run the ball on third downs? Or in long yardage situations? That NEVER happened before and I love the fact that this staff has such faith in the ground game that they will run it any where any time and any situation?

It’s another key element in keeping opposing defenses on their guard at all times.
In game adjustments, we do those now!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
@ESisback I could see McCarthy retiring if we win it all. He would after all be the first HC in NFL history to win SB for 2 different franchises. Elite category all on his own.

He could sit out a year and would be pursued. Maybe Jethro buys him out so he can name Kellen HC. And then Mike can go wherever he wants.

Couch Coach had a keen insight on a similar thought involving how Mike could leave keeping Moore. And maybe was part of the plan going in. A win win deal. Good stuff!!

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score

And the last two drafts have added some talent and playmakers on defense not to mention another playmaker on offense.

We should be seeing an improvement in coaching with more experience and proven success.

Ultimately in the end the results will matter for the final measurement or it will just be another bitter pill to swallow. Maybe more bitter with a more talented team and better coaching.

There were some good players on offense. On D you have Gregory finally doing something. Winning without Lawrence, Diggs is a beast while the secondary wasn’t very good. Parsons is a beast while the LB corp was suspect to say the least. They largely ignored DT and safety! Drafted a LB in a wheelchair?? Who isn’t even on a team.

There wasn’t a good defense here. Most of it phased out within a year and a half. They completely failed to put a legit group together in over a decade? You talk like they didn’t have time or that you never actually saw a quality defensive unit before?

And no one wants to recognize the intangibles and what this team is doing trough injury. And the other young guys stepping up like Steele and Biadiscz, plus Lamb, Kearse, Osa, Golston, etc. A handful of talent doesn’t equal a “very good team”. That’s a stretch.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In game adjustments, we do those now!!!!!
I didn’t see Stash’s post to respond to but when we practically go for it on short 4th downs in almost any spot on the field much easier to run on 3rd downs. Lol

I’d be so much more on board with McCarthy without some of these unbelievable 4th down decisions , questionable time clock Mgmt and analytical schemes. I keep thinking it’s going to cost us in the most critical situation in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There were some good players on offense. On D you have Gregory finally doing something. Winning without Lawrence, Diggs is a beast while the secondary wasn’t very good. Parsons is a beast while the LB corp was suspect to say the least. They largely ignored DT and safety! Drafted a LB in a wheelchair?? Who isn’t even on a team.

There wasn’t a good defense here. Most of it phased out within a year and a half. They completely failed to put a legit group together in over a decade? You talk like they didn’t have time or that you never actually saw a quality defensive unit before?

And no one wants to recognize the intangibles and what this team is doing trough injury. And the other young guys stepping up like Steele and Biadiscz, plus Lamb, Kearse, Osa, Golston, etc. A handful of talent doesn’t equal a “very good team”. That’s a stretch.
I didn’t mention anything about not having time ?

Garrett era completely failed to put a defense together. But who do we blame? I’m not sure he had the authority to take some of the risks we did that didn’t pan out. And or if he was really that involved with defense .

Regardless it was an abomination overall. All of the early round bust and risk on defense prevented his tenure from more success despite having a top 10 caliber offense when his QB’s were standing .

Which those offenses carried them to the success they did have. And it’s still that offense which is the strength of this team.

ESisback

Reaction score
First of all, Jethro has eventually pooped on every good situation we’ve had. Winning wasn’t enough.

I wish I could believe he’d ride off into the sunset but I truly believe he loves it as much or more as he ever has with no intention to step aside.

And to his credit which I applaud and am envy of at my age he has his health as he approaches 80 next year. I expect him to continue on as long as he’s physically able.

Doesn’t winning become enough for Jones at some point? Evidently not, according to you. But isn’t that your curse? You’re doomed to never be 100% satisfied with the Cowboys, because there’s no chance for Jerry’s eventual redemption. Or maybe it’s NOT your curse, and being “right” about your decades of scorn is actually your number one priority.

plasticman

Reaction score
You don't think we should compare coaches and players and such? On a message board? For Bog's sake, why not?

The preparation, calls, approach, everything is different. Why in the world are we not supposed to notice it?
Yes, we should make comparisons. I did make comparisons. McCarthy was 11-11 for his first 22 games as a Cowboy coach. Garrett was 13-9.

The point I am trying to make is that we assume the outcome this season is going to be different than the time Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett had teams that started out 6-1. Not only that, but we are giving these coaches credit for something they haven't even done yet which is to exceed the results of the previous coach. It is a fact they haven't done that yet.

I love the direction that this team seems to be heading but I haven't seen enough to believe that it's any different than those previous times. Unless McCarthy has a team that can reach the conference championship game then he and his staff are no better than Jason Garrett and his staff because they would have the same unacceptable results.

I will say that everything they have done so far this season is extremely encouraging. This team has attributes normally seen in Super Bowl teams that Garrett's teams didn't have. One such attribute is takeaways. Another is the ability to win despite missing quality starters. However, as I have stated, we still have to see what they do in December to build momentum going into the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong. I am a Dallas Cowboy fan and I am rooting heavily for McCarthy's success in the playoffs. I just happen to believe that it is inappropriate to act as though he has already accomplished this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, we do need to ultimately see a payoff or it’s all for naught.

Big_D

Reaction score
I didn’t mention anything about not having time ?

Garrett era completely failed to put a defense together. But who do we blame? I’m not sure he had the authority to take some of the risks we did that didn’t pan out. And or if he was really that involved with defense .

Regardless it was an abomination overall. All of the early round bust and risk on defense prevented his tenure from more success despite having a top 10 caliber offense when his QB’s were standing .

Which those offenses carried them to the success they did have. And it’s still that offense which is the strength of this team.

I know you like to pin everything on Jerry, but how does a team improve without the evaluations and plan of the HC? You telling me you don't see a difference already? The risks we took and the coaching here are a direct correlation to each other. That was an offense who carried the team as it always has. The Cowboys have been a one dimensional group for a long time and the development was just as much part of the problem as draft risks and free agency! You see an actual plan in place after 23 games and a roster that made a serious turn for the better in a very short span of time. That starts with the evaluation of said roster. Where to improve and the domino effect of that. The GM doesn't just force feed draft picks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know you like to pin everything on Jerry, but how does a team improve without the evaluations and plan of the HC? You telling me you don't see a difference already? The risks we took and the coaching here are a direct correlation to each other. That was an offense who carried the team as it always has. The Cowboys have been a one dimensional group for a long time and the development was just as much part of the problem as draft risks and free agency! You see an actual plan in place after 23 games and a roster that made a serious turn for the better in a very short span of time. That starts with the evaluation of said roster. Where to improve and the domino effect of that. The GM doesn't just force feed draft picks.
I didn’t say I’m not seeing a difference. You continue misreading or misinterpreting my statements and stating comments I haven’t said.

And try to stick exactly with my words not how you interpret or construe them.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, we should make comparisons. I did make comparisons. McCarthy was 11-11 for his first 22 games as a Cowboy coach. Garrett was 13-9.

The point I am trying to make is that we assume the outcome this season is going to be different than the time Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett had teams that started out 6-1. Not only that, but we are giving these coaches credit for something they haven't even done yet which is to exceed the results of the previous coach. It is a fact they haven't done that yet.

I love the direction that this team seems to be heading but I haven't seen enough to believe that it's any different than those previous times. Unless McCarthy has a team that can reach the conference championship game then he and his staff are no better than Jason Garrett and his staff because they would have the same unacceptable results.

I will say that everything they have done so far this season is extremely encouraging. This team has attributes normally seen in Super Bowl teams that Garrett's teams didn't have. One such attribute is takeaways. Another is the ability to win despite missing quality starters. However, as I have stated, we still have to see what they do in December to build momentum going into the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong. I am a Dallas Cowboy fan and I am rooting heavily for McCarthy's success in the playoffs. I just happen to believe that it is inappropriate to act as though he has already accomplished this.
I'm confused.(As per normal!!!)

It appears to me that you're contradicting yourself. I see you stating the differences. Which I agree w/, BTW. But then you state there are no differences. I don't get it.