What about Dak should really excite us

DFWJC

Reaction score
I guess you like hectic fire drills before every snap.

Zoners think Romo is outsmarting everybody... no he's only making things more difficult than they should be.
You don't have that in preseason because the coverages are so basic. Just like in practice. You don't see Romo running it down in practice, for example.
Great job by Dak. Can't we just be happy?
There's no need to diss Romo based on Dak's 1/2 preseason game.
Then again, it is you doing the commenting, so it's a given.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok I admit. I was not high on Dak when we drafted him. After watching him play Im on the bandwagon. I can tell he has it in him to become a really good QB in this league.

I was especially surprised at how well he throws the ball. He can hit his target in stride and knows how to place it where the receiver is the only one that can make the play.

He also has really good finesse with the long and short passes. How many times have we seen QBs that sling is so hard on short passes that receivers can't even catch it?

I'm pretty giddy what we have in him. Best of all he is mobile and has the threat of running with it. If we build around his skill set he will give team fits.

No doubt they are bronzing is bust for the HOF as we speak.

slotshot

Reaction score
I have the annointing oil in the warmer getting ready, but would like (at least) to watch him for the remainder of the preseason before sending in my Dak Pack application.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I looked at Dak as a dual threat QB that wasn't overwhelming either as a thrower or as a runner. But, he wasn't insufficient in either.

He was required to make a lot of pro style throws at MSU, but didn't always make them. However, he did make his fair share of throws and I feel better about a QB that has to make those throws in a system rather than one that rarely is required to make those throws. Of course, Aaron Rodgers rarely had to make those throws at Cal...but, he may be the exception to the rule (he's also in a WCO in Green Bay).

I also liked that he was more of a Russell Wilson type of runner than a Michael Vick type of runner. Meaning, a smash mouth type rather than a speed-n-dodge type. And he also has one of my favorite attributes that I have long favored before it came en vogue this year...big hands (10-7/8"). Oh, he also had a dearth of offensive talent around him at MSU while playing in the SEC.

I just didn't know if he was a good enough thrower of the ball. His throwing was very inconsistent at MSU...make 1 real quality throw, make 1 mediocre throw.

So the big thing here is that the 1st preseason game is mostly about purely throwing a football for the QB. There's not a lot of anticipation needed. Not a lot of confusion going on. And he threw the ball about as well as any QB can. He was continually hitting receivers on the money. Many QB's are much better and different throwers in the NFL than they were in college because the coaching in college is often not as good and they don't quite have the time to practice their mechanics. So for Dak to throw the ball this well is extremely encouraging because it shows that he can throw it really well.

I still don't want him anywhere near the field during the regular season this year and preferably not anywhere near it next season. But so far, so good.

YR

Gameover

Reaction score
It would benefit Dak and everyone else if he just sits for a while behind Romo. Besides the coaching staff and Jerry himself w'll never bench Romo at this point. To make it clear. There is and will not be a qb controversy :)
Jerry and the team will continue to trot Romo out there until he's 42, because they're stupid.

As I said before: The days of waiting your turn are over. If you think he can play, play him. Not saying it's an automatic, but if he performs well vs Seattle and Miami, I'd start him. That's just me!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I enjoyed the fact he wasn't Checkdown Charlie which I was half-expecting. I don't mind a young player making mistakes being aggressive. I've got no use for the Dustin Vaughan's of the world wearing out the hands of the RBs and TEs in the flat.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'd also add moving forward, I'd like to see how Dak performs taking snaps directly under center. All but two (maybe three?) of his snaps were from shotgun.

Blake

Reaction score
Jerry and the team will continue to trot Romo out there until he's 42, because they're stupid.

As I said before: The days of waiting your turn are over. If you think he can play, play him. Not saying it's an automatic, but if he performs well vs Seattle and Miami, I'd start him. That's just me!

If your veteran quaterback is still performing at a high-level, why would you replace him with a rookie, despite how good they look in the preseason? This is one of the stupidest posts I've read in a long time. Go ahead and put me on ignore, I hardly post here anyway, but WOW!

the_h0wey

Reaction score
In order:

1. He has the poise and gonads to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball downfield.

2. He is following Romo around soaking up mind vitamins. Eager to learn.

3. Natural leader. Can't teach it. Like Romo.

4. Has the physical tools to work with, including mobility.

5. Looks like he wants to throw first, run second.

Maybe we found our Aaron Rodgers to sit for three years, learn, then take over.

I love the guy, but Romo is not a natural leader. Took him several years to grow into that role. You remember his quote after the 44-6 loss to Philly 08?

Gameover

Reaction score
If your veteran quaterback is still performing at a high-level, why would you replace him with a rookie, despite how good they look in the preseason? This is one of the stupidest posts I've read in a long time. Go ahead and put me on ignore, I hardly post here anyway, but WOW!

just hoping(and praying) we can get really lucky and this guy can turn into something special!

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
In order:

1. He has the poise and gonads to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball downfield.

2. He is following Romo around soaking up mind vitamins. Eager to learn.

3. Natural leader. Can't teach it. Like Romo.

4. Has the physical tools to work with, including mobility.

5. Looks like he wants to throw first, run second.

Maybe we found our Aaron Rodgers to sit for three years, learn, then take over.

I hope your right. And I like "mind vitamins."

mrmojo

Reaction score
Just saw all his throws again. Very poised and has a very good arm and accurate.Looks like he can move a little too. Still early but looks like the kid can play, looking forward to seeing his progress. If it weren't for #87 he would have been perfect.

erod

Reaction score
I love the guy, but Romo is not a natural leader. Took him several years to grow into that role. You remember his quote after the 44-6 loss to Philly 08?
That's ridiculous. This team worships Romo. Dak Prescott worships Romo.

LeBron said the same thing when he lost.