What about Dak should really excite us

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Ok I admit. I was not high on Dak when we drafted him. After watching him play Im on the bandwagon. I can tell he has it in him to become a really good QB in this league.

I was especially surprised at how well he throws the ball. He can hit his target in stride and knows how to place it where the receiver is the only one that can make the play.

He also has really good finesse with the long and short passes. How many times have we seen QBs that sling is so hard on short passes that receivers can't even catch it?

I'm pretty giddy what we have in him. Best of all he is mobile and has the threat of running with it. If we build around his skill set he will give team fits.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
1. He doesn't make the game more complicated than it should be

2. Every pre snap isn't a fire drill

3. He has an aura about him that his teammates will believe in and follow

4. He threw a deep ball right on the money

He already manages the game better than Romo. If he looks good vs Miami and Seattle, I would start him opening day. In modern NFL, if a guy has it he has it. The days of he needs time learning are over.

It would benefit Dak and everyone else if he just sits for a while behind Romo. Besides the coaching staff and Jerry himself w'll never bench Romo at this point. To make it clear. There is and will not be a qb controversy :)

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Ill echo what some you said. Good start and hopefully he can continue to improve and show consistency. However, lets not get too excited yet until he proves it game after game.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'm more excited about him watching and learning under Romo. To have a guy like Romo, to see day in and day out. Priceless.
The Cowboys' Instagram story section had a video of Romo walking out of the tunnel with Prescott and Showers side by side - you could tell Romo was essentially coaching the whole walk by his body language and hand gestures -- and the young Prescott and Showers were both attentive and listening.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
In order:

5. Looks like he wants to throw first, run second.

Maybe we found our Aaron Rodgers to sit for three years, learn, then take over.

This is what struck me first - eyes downfield all the time not pulling down ball and running when things got tight around him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have said before in terms of the physical tools the kid has it. He can rifle a ball into tight windows, he can make throws on the run and has the athletic ability to pull the ball down and take yards when breaking containment. It all comes down to the mental aspect of the game and doing what all great QB do which is study defense to always know what they are doing and always look to improve yourself at that position, never be satisfied.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Guys, everyone needs to tap the breaks.

It was 12 passes and now we have people talking like they are sure he can play in this league. He had a good game, let's leave it at that and wait for Friday.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
1. He doesn't make the game more complicated than it should be

2. Every pre snap isn't a fire drill

3. He has an aura about him that his teammates will believe in and follow

4. He threw a deep ball right on the money

He already manages the game better than Romo. If he looks good vs Miami and Seattle, I would start him opening day. In modern NFL, if a guy has it he has it. The days of he needs time learning are over.
So this is the conclusion you have come to after he played a partial preseason game. Got it.

VACowboy

Reaction score
In order:

1. He has the poise and gonads to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball downfield.

2. He is following Romo around soaking up mind vitamins. Eager to learn.

3. Natural leader. Can't teach it. Like Romo.

4. Has the physical tools to work with, including mobility.

1b. Accuracy.

And...

Some guys throw with great touch. Some guys throw a great long ball. Dak dropped a long ball with touch right into TWill's lap...with a blitzer in his face. He didn't just lob the ball out there either. You could tell he was measuring the throw when he pumped and then let it go. You can't teach that.

PS: He also looked off the safety.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's a single preseason game and his performance is likely meaningless. He will have ups and downs like any young quarterback. He may or may not have a longterm future as a backup much less a starter. (I'm one of those who thinks Tony has a longer career ahead than most think) However, Dak 's performance is exciting because we have a better chance today than yesterday of preserving resources.

By resources, I mean: cap money, draft picks, QB reps, and roster spots. We have a real chance to create a virtuous cycle just like we started on the OLine with the drafting Tyron Smith and cleaning out the aging line. Dak's performance means the front office will be more willing to take a gamble with the backup QB position. That gamble can save us anywhere between 2-10 million on a veteran backup. That gamble allows us to use our limited reps to evaluate our draft pick. It keeps us from throwing 5th round picks for a security blanket. It allows us to use both the 2nd and 3rd roster spots on long term QB development prospects (Showers or someone in next years draft) It lets us have a lot more information before we sacrifice multiple drafts like LA and Philly on a 1st round projection. Finally, if Dak or a future draft pick is a long term starter, it gives us time to develop him in our system.

All of these things require us to gamble on a young quarterback. In this risk averse league, this may give the team enough confidence rightly or wrongly to gamble on youth and this gamble no matter how the player turns out can start a virtuous cycle. We all are focused on a win now window but making long term gambles is how you create a competitive program, year after year.

Umm................I am typically very reserved when it comes to young draftees and in no way am I reading too much into him or his future, but I thought his performance was impressive. Especially being his first action. I especially liked his poise and body language throughout it all.

The ONLY issue I have is that with such a great performance on his first go around is no doubt Jerry Jones has made up his mind already that this kid is the future of the franchise. No doubt he is making him a key as we speak.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I want to see Showers with the first team next game and DAK with the third team.

slick325

Reaction score
In order:

1. He has the poise and gonads to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball downfield.

2. He is following Romo around soaking up mind vitamins. Eager to learn.

3. Natural leader. Can't teach it. Like Romo.

4. Has the physical tools to work with, including mobility.

Good post erod!

I will go on record saying I still want to draft another QB next year in order to hedge the bet a bit. However, the kid played very well Saturday night.

Gameover

Reaction score
So this is the conclusion you have come to after he played a partial preseason game. Got it.[/QUO
So this is the conclusion you have come to after he played a partial preseason game. Got it.

I guess you like hectic fire drills before every snap.

Zoners think Romo is outsmarting everybody... no he's only making things more difficult than they should be.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

It was 12 passes and now we have people talking like they are sure he can play in this league. He had a good game, let's leave it at that and wait for Friday.
Dude! I already tapped into the anointing oil and ordered the gold jacket!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like some of his tattoos.

However the mom one on his wrist...the sentiment and reason for the tattoo is admirable but man that is some amateur and shoddy work. He needs that redone if he is going to eventually be the Franchise QB of the Cowboys down the road.

rynochop

Reaction score
I like some of his tattoos.

However the mom one on his wrist...the sentiment and reason for the tattoo is admirable but man that is some amateur and shoddy work. He needs that redone if he is going to eventually be the Franchise QB of the Cowboys down the road.
As long as he doesn't start wearing doo rags

erod

Reaction score

It was WAY more than that.

Rookie was playing in his first NFL game in front of 90,000 people, and he looked calm as could be. Not intimidated in the least. THAT is what you can't coach.

The rest is just hard work and mental preparedness. Most quarterbacks don't have the nerve necessary to play in the NFL, and that's what does them in.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
It was WAY more than that.

Rookie was playing in his first NFL game in front of 90,000 people, and he looked calm as could be. Not intimidated in the least. THAT is what you can't coach.

The rest is just hard work and mental preparedness. Most quarterbacks don't have the nerve necessary to play in the NFL, and that's what does them in.

And Chad Hennignton threw for 300 on Thanksgiving one year. Its too small a sample size.