What annoys me most . . .

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Don't forget the game he won with a severely broken index finger on his throwing hand. Drew has demonstrated as much or more guts than any QB playing today-- he's right up there with Brett Favre in this department.

Someone said it earlier.

Amazing how gutty and talented someone gets when he puts the star on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
VT is the career record holder for Interceptions thrown. He's thrown more than any other QB that has played in the NFL.

I believe at one point in his career after chucking like 35 picks he claimed he was color blind. That always makes me chuckle.

Interestingly enough, Bledsoe's career average for TOs is much higher then Vinnies.

Over 18 seasons, Vinnie Threw 255 INTs, commited 29 Fumbles lost, for a total of 284 TOs. That's an average of 15.77 per season.

Over 12 seasons, Bledso threw 181 INTs, commited 43 fumbles lost, for a total of 224 TOs. That averages out to 18.66 per season.

On average, Bledsoe turns the ball over almost 3 times more a season. This trend is fairly consistant with Bledsoe so I don't think that you can say he is going to get better. It could happen but the numbers don't suggest this. I think that if he plays long enough, say another 3 to 4 seasons, he'll easily overtake Vinnie.

playit12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Yeah, I had studied Vinnie up to that point but after that, I pretty much stopped analysing him as I figured we were done, for the most part. I thought is was interesting thou.

Since I have nothing better to do with my time I tallied up Drews Picks.

Here is what I found.

By quarters his picks fell as...

6, 3, 2, and 5

11 in the first 20 attempts and 5 after 20.

Here is what I think it really telling though...

When Drew threw his picks they were currently winning in 4, even in 2, and loosing in 10 of those games.

Also Drew had 3 multi pick games. One was pretty much an annomily where he threw threw all three picks while ahead and did so early in the game. He also had good running that game.

However in the other two he threw a combined 7 picks, always from behind, and the starting RB never had more than 58 yards. In fact, in both games, the leading running back combined for 95 yards on 30 carries for an average of 3.17 yards per carry.

I'd be curious to do this on guys with worse defenses to see if they "force" the plays late in the game and thus have more turnovers... perhaps if I have more time.

playit12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Interestingly enough, Bledsoe's career average for TOs is much higher then Vinnies.

Over 18 seasons, Vinnie Threw 255 INTs, commited 29 Fumbles lost, for a total of 284 TOs. That's an average of 15.77 per season.

Over 12 seasons, Bledso threw 181 INTs, commited 43 fumbles lost, for a total of 224 TOs. That averages out to 18.66 per season.

On average, Bledsoe turns the ball over almost 3 times more a season. This trend is fairly consistant with Bledsoe so I don't think that you can say he is going to get better. It could happen but the numbers don't suggest this. I think that if he plays long enough, say another 3 to 4 seasons, he'll easily overtake Vinnie.

Does that take into account playing time? Might be more useful to compare games started to turnovers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Like Hambrick, we controlled the tempo because we stuck with it. That allowed him to be successful.

Fair enough---but he also put us in a very bad position late in the game. That last pass to Keyshawn saved him.

I don't disagree but you must give credit where due. He made the plays to win. I don't mean to sound as if I'm suggesting Vinnie was a great QB but I do believe that he gets an undue amount of blame. He was what he was. 41 year old back up QB who was forced to start because of team issues. I believe Vinnie did all he could do under the circumstances. He did not play with a great deal of talent around him, IMO, last year. He went as long as he could and then even longer because we asked him to. He never should have been in the position he was in but that happens in life.

I think he was a stand up guy who did what he could for us and in return, the fan base crucified him for it. It's unfortunate but not everybody's career turns out like Brett Favres or Dan Marino's.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't disagree but you must give credit where due. He made the plays to win. I don't mean to sound as if I'm suggesting Vinnie was a great QB but I do believe that he gets an undue amount of blame. He was what he was. 41 year old back up QB who was forced to start because of team issues. I believe Vinnie did all he could do under the circumstances. He did not play with a great deal of talent around him, IMO, last year. He went as long as he could and then even longer because we asked him to. He never should have been in the position he was in but that happens in life.

I think he was a stand up guy who did what he could for us and in return, the fan base crucified him for it. It's unfortunate but not everybody's career turns out like Brett Favres or Dan Marino's.

Oh I completely agree.

Testaverde was a 41 year old QB. What did people expect? I know what he did last year was pretty impressive considering that. You just had a bunch of bitter people who were upset that they though their boy Carter got cut for him and then they expected better, which was hardly realistic since I don't think he was ever brought here to be the starter.

It still was not good enough, but considering his handicaps, and not all HIS handicaps, he did about as well as could be expected.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
playit12 said:
Does that take into account playing time? Might be more useful to compare games started to turnovers.

Doesn't really factor into the equation. The point being made is that Vinnie is the all time leader in INTs. I expanded the discussion to include fumbles as they are also TOs. Vinnie, in all likely hood is done. His number will not increase so it doesn't matter where he's concerned. Drew will likely start a good two seasons, if not more. Over the last three seasons, Drew has committed, 19, 22 and 21 TOs respectively. Let's say that he's averaged 20 TOs over the last three seasons. If we say that 2001 does not count (didn't really play that season) and look back at his prior 3 season's, he committed 17, 23 and 17 again. That's still 19 per season. This, to me, would suggest a good baseline analysis of 6 season with an average of 18.66 TOs per season or higher. The trend seems to be fairly consistant.

playit12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Doesn't really factor into the equation. The point being made is that Vinnie is the all time leader in INTs. I expanded the discussion to include fumbles as they are also TOs. Vinnie, in all likely hood is done. His number will not increase so it doesn't matter where he's concerned. Drew will likely start a good two seasons, if not more. Over the last three seasons, Drew has committed, 19, 22 and 21 TOs respectively. Let's say that he's averaged 20 TOs over the last three seasons. If we say that 2001 does not count (didn't really play that season) and look back at his prior 3 season's, he committed 17, 23 and 17 again. That's still 19 per season. This, to me, would suggest a good baseline analysis of 6 season with an average of 18.66 TOs per season or higher. The trend seems to be fairly consistant.

I think Bledsoe might pass him too... but when doing averages I think you have to take into account that Vinny didn't start a few seasons. So his average per year would be higher than the value quoted.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
HUGE upgrade though.

I know. I understand the problem and hope that Bledsoe can re-create himself, in effect, but expectations are probably to great right now.

As I said earlier, Bledsoe is what he is. If he turns out to be more then that, it will be a nice surprise. I expect him to be the player he has shown himself to be over the course of his career.

I will however, hope for the best.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
playit12 said:
I think Bledsoe might pass him too... but when doing averages I think you have to take into account that Vinny didn't start a few seasons. So his average per year would be higher than the value quoted.

I agree. If the purpose of the evaluation was to demonstrate who was actually more proficiant (seems strangly inappropriate here), then I think you would be absolutly correct. I will say that in the 12 seasons Bledsoe has been in the league, he has played in a total of 172 games. In 15 seasons, Vinnie played in 173. If you look at those numbers and compare them, you might be able to get an idea of ratios. With 173 games played, Vinnie committed 253 TOs. as opposed to 224 in 172 games by Bledsoe. In all fairness, I don't know how accurate a measurment this can be as Bledsoe has never really played on a poor team IMO. Vinnie on the other hand, played on bad teams most of his career. In fact, I've never seen a worse them then those Tampa Bay teams of the late 80s and early 90s. It's all relative but any way you look at these two, neither grades out very well in terms of TOs.

This worries me only because I feel that one stat is particularly dominant in the NFL.

It's the TO statistic. Teams that don't turn the ball over win.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Oh I completely agree.

Testaverde was a 41 year old QB. What did people expect? I know what he did last year was pretty impressive considering that. You just had a bunch of bitter people who were upset that they though their boy Carter got cut for him and then they expected better, which was hardly realistic since I don't think he was ever brought here to be the starter.

It still was not good enough, but considering his handicaps, and not all HIS handicaps, he did about as well as could be expected.

I didn't expect much from Vinny and that is why I was disappointed he was signed in the first place. I thought it was a pointless signing. He didn't instill me with confidence in case Carter failed. Quincy did end up failing and Vinny lived up to my low expectations. I feel only slightly better about Drew, but feel pretty good about the other areas of the team.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Those lost fumble statistics don't include any from 1993 or earlier. So Bledsoe's lost fumbles from 1993 (13 games) and Testaverde's from 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993 (a total of 86 games) aren't included.