What are Cowboys going to do with Extra Cap Space?

Flamma

Reaction score
You have no clue what you’re talking about. It’s a new deal!

Dude, stop. You're making a fool of yourself. No NFL player gets a new deal after 3 years that starts right away. No one. 5th year options are 5th year options. They are not renegotiable. Nor is the 4th year of any rookie deal. Show me a single one that was. Just one. Show it to me. You're starting to sound like a 9 year old. Or someone too old to grasp change.

Flamma

Reaction score
You’re the one making a fool of themselves. No one is arguing this but you. Every time you get cornered you start trying to twist and turn your way out of it. AJ Brown isn’t playing under the same deal with Philadelphia that he had with Tennessee. He signed a new contract! After three seasons a player can renegotiate. That was proven but you said you don’t care what Google or any links have to say. Lol

“Brown arrived in Philadelphia to officially sign his new contract. The extension, which is a four-year, $100 million deal with $57 million guaranteed, is tacked on to his rookie contract. So, for the Eagles, it's effectively a five-year, $104.2 million deal if all the cash is paid, according to Over The Cap.”

Do you not understand what you're looking at? His contract is a 4 year deal, not 5 years. That other year is the 4th year of his rookie deal!!! Where he is being paid 986k. That never changed. 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 are the 4 years of his rookie deal. He gets his signing bonus up front, and the rest is being paid from 2023 on up.

_sturt_

Reaction score
No, the rumors are not true. I do not work at 105.3. But I can't help it if some of them read my stuff here, are persuaded of the genius conclusions I've come to, and then go on-air and claim the wealth of wisdom as their own. ;) :D ;)

Guard? Check.

Receiver? Check.

Linebacker? Check (... though I must credit someone here for bringing me to that realization, and forgive me, I'm too lazy to go look up which one of you did that).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Do you not understand what you're looking at? His contract is a 4 year deal, not 5 years. That other year is the 4th year of his rookie deal!!! Where he is being paid 986k. That never changed. 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 are the 4 years of his rookie deal. He gets his signing bonus up front, and the rest is being paid from 2023 on up.

It doesn’t matter it’s a new contract that doesn’t technically take affect until 2023. The whole point is he gets the signing bonus upfront which is what he’s looking for. As long as he gets upfront money and has a new deal he doesn’t care that the contract doesn’t take affect until 2023.

Flamma

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter it’s a new contract that doesn’t technically take affect until 2023. The whole point is he gets the signing bonus upfront which is what he’s looking for. As long as he gets upfront money and has a new deal he doesn’t care when the contract takes affect.

The only thing I was trying to say was in response to you thinking Parsons was going to somehow make more money before his rookie contract was up. He'll get a signing bonus, and he'll make more money after his 5th year option. Not before.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only thing I was trying to say was in response to you thinking Parsons was going to somehow make more money before his rookie contract was up. He'll get a signing bonus, and he'll make more money after his 5th year option. Not before.

He’ll make more money with a signing bonus if he gets a new deal after his third season. Again it’s the upfront money along with the security of having a new deal in place.

ICP

Reaction score
Op said we have 11 mil in cap left. Would that be pre or post signing of our draft haul?

jrumann59

Reaction score
You guys are splitting hairs here. Yes if a player gets a 5 year extension the 5 year clock starts after the rookie deal. Signing bonuses are given immediately. Guarantees from the new contract like roster bonuses start when the new contract starts.

Flamma

Reaction score
You guys are splitting hairs here. Yes if a player gets a 5 year extension the 5 year clock starts after the rookie deal. Signing bonuses are given immediately. Guarantees from the new contract like roster bonuses start when the new contract starts.

I wasn't splitting hairs. This is what started it all. What I initially responded to. His quote.

"Stephen has already stated they’re thinking ahead on these contracts. Just because we have these players under their rookie contracts doesn’t mean they’re going to want to play them out."

jrumann59

Reaction score
I wasn't splitting hairs. This is what started it all. What I initially responded to. His quote.

"Stephen has already stated they’re thinking ahead on these contracts. Just because we have these players under their rookie contracts doesn’t mean they’re going to want to play them out."

I know what started it but this really is about the perspective you look at from.

I see you guys arguing about this meme.
https://imgflip.com/i/2328ya

2328ya

Flamma

Reaction score
I know what started it but this really is about the perspective you look at from.

I see you guys arguing about this meme.
https://imgflip.com/i/2328ya

2328ya

I guess I'm too concerned with detail. Hey look, a few years back I didn't know any difference either. But it only took one post from someone on here for me to understand.

If you don't point this out, you get all of these people that think Zeke got paid 2 years early. It just takes up space saying nothing.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Op said we have 11 mil in cap left. Would that be pre or post signing of our draft haul?

From OverTheCap.com at beginning of this week... and I don't recall how soon after a draft these guys start to sign, but it's not happened yet.

LWR_Recording.png

_sturt_

Reaction score
Well here's some sobering news...

I just visited Spotrac and added up every rookie salary cap hit for 2021, all inclusive of drafted, udfa, practice squad... whatever their status.

Total cap hit?

$11,625,159

Sooooo.... seems I've been woefully underestimating what it takes to sign the newbies... and, yeah, we actually don't appear to have much if any current "extra space," though I'm sure there's some way they can massage it to some degree if the Jones clan really wanted.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well here's some sobering news...

I just visited Spotrac and added up every rookie salary cap hit for 2021, all inclusive of drafted, udfa, practice squad... whatever their status.

Total cap hit?

$11,625,159

Sooooo.... seems I've been woefully underestimating what it takes to sign the newbies... and, yeah, we actually don't appear to have much if any current "extra space," though I'm sure there's some way they can massage it to some degree if the Jones clan really wanted.

Don't we get an extra 10M in June from Collins or something?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Don't we get an extra 10M in June from Collins or something?

Don't know about that, but I am a bit confused b/c OverTheCap alleges that they take into account in the "effective cap space" number the projected rookie class' total outlay.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't know about that, but I am a bit confused b/c OverTheCap alleges that they take into account in the "effective cap space" number the projected rookie class' total outlay.

OverTheCap annoys me, so I only use Spotrac. I realize a lot like OTC, so it must be a me thing.

Spotrac has us at 13.4M estimated cap space for top 51. We should be getting 10M more due to Collins being a June cut. I really have no idea about the rookies. It's the one thing I rarely look at.

On a side note, I found this interesting. Spotrac has Diggs estimated value at 22M per year. Good lord.