What are Cowboys going to do with Extra Cap Space?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Signing the rookies usually takes around 10 million I believe.
Wrong...it is around 4 m in new money because for each one signed someone else gets waxed.

Plus we have Collins money coming soon.

Jerruh has said that they want to start looking at extending guys early.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I swear. But I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. They don't have any choice in the matter. They have to play out their full rookie deal before any extension begins. This isn't a matter of opinion.

So if Parsons gets an extension after 2023, he still has to play out his 4th year and 5th year option of his rookie deal. Then the new one begins.

I don’t remember us discussing whether they had to play out their full deal. You must be thinking of someone else. Players always have a choice they can hold out if they want more money. I don’t see that happening with Trevon Diggs he’s not the player Parson’s is. However Parsons is a rare talent and we have been playing multiple positions. If he were to win DPOY and feels he’s outplayed his rookie deal it’s not out of the question that he would want more money by year three or four. Besides I don’t see the Cowboys allowing Parsons to play out his full deal they’ll want to extend him prior to his final year. You risk having to franchise him if you can’t come to an agreement or having him walk if you let him play out the final year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don’t remember us discussing whether they had to play out their full deal. You must be thinking of someone else. Players always have a choice they can hold out if they want more money. I don’t see that happening with Trevon Diggs he’s not the player Parson’s is. However Parsons is a rare talent and we have been playing multiple positions. If he were to win DPOY and feels he’s outplayed his rookie deal it’s not out of the question that he would want more money by year three or four. Besides I don’t see the Cowboys allowing Parsons to play out his full deal they’ll want to extend him prior to his final year. You risk having to franchise him if you can’t come to an agreement or having him walk if you let him play out the final year.
I think draft picks are sort of locked until after year 3. And then it is an extension not a new deal, so year 4 of rookie deal is still what it is and new deal in Year 5 goes up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think draft picks are sort of locked until after year 3. And then it is an extension not a new deal, so year 4 of rookie deal is still what it is and new deal in Year 5 goes up.

They may be until after year three but most teams that have a great young player don’t allow them to play out their rookie deal. They look to extend them a year prior so they don’t risk having to franchise them or enter free agency. The player could even refuse to play under the tag, so it’s important to get a deal done a year prior to them becoming a free agent.

Flamma

Reaction score

I'm not thinking of someone else. It's you. Sometimes I think I'm being punked, or you're messing with me to get some laughs. So we'll try this one more time.

Let's say Parsons is the best player ever after about 7 years. He can't be inducted into the HOF until 5 years after he retires, right? Those are the rules. You can't be inducted into the HOF while you're still playing. Rookie contracts are like that. You can't replace them. End of story.

I don't care how good Parsons is, whether or not he holds out, jumps up and down, he's playing out his rookie deal for what it pays. Just like every other player under the CBA. Or else they don't play football.

Parsons rookie deal is from '21 to '24 and 2025 is his 5th year option. He has to play those years. They cannot be replaced with something new. After 2023 he wants an extension. He gets a 4 year 120M extension, 20M signing bonus. He gets the signing bonus up front. The other 100M starts in 2026. Not sooner. Holding out cannot change this.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not thinking of someone else. It's you. Sometimes I think I'm being punked, or you're messing with me to get some laughs. So we'll try this one more time.

Seems like you can’t get your arguments straight. Show me a post what we discussed if a rookie had to play out their entire deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
Seems like you can’t get your arguments straight. Show me a post what we discussed if a rookie had to play out their entire deal.

It was in the conversation about Kyler Murray no longer wanting to play on his rookie deal.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Parsons rookie deal is from '21 to '24 and 2025 is his 5th year option. He has to play those years. They cannot be replaced with something new. After 2023 he wants an extension. He gets a 4 year 120M extension, 20M signing bonus. He gets the signing bonus up front. The other 100M starts in 2026. Not sooner. Holding out cannot change this.

He can renegotiate his contract after three seasons.

Draft pick contracts can't be renegotiated until the conclusion of a player's third NFL regular season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was in the conversation about Kyler Murray no longer wanting to play on his rookie deal.

He no longer wants to play under it. He’s played three full seasons and can now renegotiate it. You’re saying they have to play out their entire rookie contract. Not true or the Cardinals wouldn’t have an issue with Kyler Murray.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I swear. But I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. They don't have any choice in the matter. They have to play out their full rookie deal before any extension begins.

You’re wrong do a Google!

Draft pick contracts can't be renegotiated until the conclusion of a player's third NFL regular season

Flamma

Reaction score
He no longer wants to play under it. He’s played three full seasons and can now renegotiate it. You’re saying they have to play out their entire rookie contract. Not true or the Cardinals wouldn’t have an issue with Kyler Murray.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, and yes, it's true. All you have to do is go and look at the contracts yourself. A rookie contract cannot be renegotiated. Period. You can negotiate an extension to that contract after 3 years.

Flamma

Reaction score
You’re wrong do a Google!

Draft pick contracts can't be renegotiated until the conclusion of a player's third NFL regular season

I don't have to do a google. I look at these contracts. I know the rules. I don't care about any site that doesn't.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I'm saying, and yes, it's true. All you have to do is go and look at the contracts yourself. A rookie contract cannot be renegotiated. Period. You can negotiate an extension to that contract after 3 years.

Once again you’re wrong do a Google!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't have to do a google. I look at these contracts. I know the rules. I don't care about any site that doesn't.

You’re denying that they can renegotiate their rookie contract after three years? You’re making up your own rules. Lol The links are all there and you think everyone is wrong but you’re right? Lol

Flamma

Reaction score
You’re denying that they can renegotiate their rookie contract after three years? You’re making up your own rules. Lol The links are all there and you think everyone is wrong but you’re right? Lol

It's obvious you don't look at contracts or know the rules. Diggs will get an extension after this year, his 3rd year. It can me a billion dollars. But he's playing for 1.4M in 2023. End of story. You can continue to deny this, or you can actually look at the contracts.