What are the odds of Jimmy Johnson coming back

silver

Reaction score
I know it sounds impossible if not utterly moronic but after the book "Boys Will Be Boys" came out the legend of the "Jimster" (as some hated columnist likes to call him) has grown to monumental proportions.

Looking back to the end of the 2002 season someone here posted a question of who would you want to coach the 2003 Cowboys and yours truly being in the Christmas spirit and all suggested Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells or Dan Reeves in that order. Of course I know that Santa Claus is a fixture of every kids imagination but not mine, being 42 years old. But, I got caught up in the festive moment per se. Never in my dreams could I foresee Jerry actually go and hire Parcells but he did and was greeted with hoorays by us fans.

Fast forward to October of 2008 and here we are 4-3 gasping to stay alive in the race for the playoffs amidst the turmoil that has become our beloved Dallas Cowboys. The question remains if Jerry decides to swallow his ego and re-hire the one coach who he once said 500 coaches could do his job (and proved by winning super bowl XXX with Barry Switzer-though nobody gives Jerry & Barry any credit)???

Does he have enough vision to see he will be considered again by many of us to be a great owner & gm if he goes again and does the "right thing"? What are the odds? Would Jimmy accept it?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
no jimmy johnson is done coaching, he is paid too much by fox sports, etc doing his feature on sundays and he is basking in the miami sun in florida too much

now dont get me wrong i would love jimmy here, even if it was just as psych coach, i think this is what this team a psych coach that can see what players arent putting 110 percent into the game effort.

also jimmy could see what coaches arent doing their job either,

and if jerry jones hires another head coach like good ole boy wade, jimmy johnson could have the title of being the turk, the guy that fires players, hires players, cuts players and trades players along with the approval of jerry jones of course

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm thinking young and hungry, smart n sassy, energetic & tough. Yeah, something like that as our next head coach, basically a young Jimmy Johnson.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
that way all the head coach would have to do is coach the team

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A: Between none and zero.

[EDIT] Should Jerry Jones not be the owner and general manager within, say, the next five years or so, then there is a slim possibility of Jimmy Johnson returning in my opinion.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'll give this a NEGATIVE percentage of happening. Jimmy will not be back in coaching, at all, IMHO and he certainly won't ever be doing it in Dallas again.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
clove, i totally agree with you a young energetic head coach like jimmy johnson was, that after the cowboys win a couple of superbowls, as you probably remember jerry jones said he would step down eventually.

Stephen Jones said when he took over, that he wouldnt spend the money like jerry did and he wouldnt meddle in the team like his dad did, so to me, you would want a strong young coach (not to young mind you, maybe in his early 40's though with some kind of great football knowledge and experience) so the young coach can take over the team and lead them

Big Dakota

Reaction score
The man is going to be 66 on his next BDay. He knows the rigors of the NFL and IMO he has no desire or intention of ever coming back so i'd say a big ZERO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Clove;2368438 said:
So their's a chance? :D

As Jimmy always said I never say never. :laugh2: I think Jimmy likes his life as is. He gets the free time to enjoy life on his boat and yet is still involved with the game.

silver

Reaction score
bbgun;2368427 said:
Better odds than me becoming a mod.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance

lloydchristmas.jpg

Big Dakota

Reaction score
DallasEast;2368431 said:
A: Between none and zero.

[EDIT] Should Jerry Jones not be the owner and general manager within, say, the next five years or so, then there is a slim possibility of Jimmy Johnson returning in my opinion.

At 70+ years of age? OK