What are the odds of Jimmy Johnson coming back

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
silver;2368459 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance

lloydchristmas.jpg

Nice picture of Bruce Read :laugh1:

1fisher

Reaction score
His chances of coming back are as good as my chances of taking over for WP in a couple of weeks!

:laugh2:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
About as good as this topic never being mentioned again...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd say I'll likely have a better shot of coming into some serious money and buying the Cowboys from Jerry than Jimmy has of ever coaching here again.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
He's become John Madden.

He put in his 10 years of Head Coaching and now loves his life as a network sports analyst.

Very very unlikely, but never say never. His return to coaching would be no less unlikely than Dick Vermeil's. He was a good 15 years removed from coaching and firmly entrenched in sports casting, when he took the Rams job.

Unlike some, I do believe he could and would coach for Jerry as quick as would for anyone else. I believe over the years they have grown to admire and even respect each other. More so than when they worked together and from my perspective, I believe they've come to accept and even embrace their intertwined place in football history.

BigR

Reaction score
the ONLY scenario is can imagine.........

Jimmy's ego is rather large. jimmy come back, returns dallas to glory so he can say...."look what i did"

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
BigR;2368691 said:
the ONLY scenario is can imagine.........

Jimmy's ego is rather large. jimmy come back, returns dallas to glory so he can say...."look what i did"

I hope your other 26 posts were better than this. ;)

Seriously, there's no chance he'll come back, here or elsewhere.

Besides, what makes people think he'd be the same now as then? One reason he had so much success the first time was that by coming straight from U of Miami, he knew about most of the college talent that was out there. He had recruited many of the top players whether they actually came to Miami or not.

Also, he was younger and much more driven and had most of his staff together that he brought from Miami. Now, being out of coaching for so long, not having the assistants he's familiar with and not being as familiar with the college talent when it comes to the draft - I just don't think he'd experience that same success even if he were to try to make a comeback.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
It would great to find a Young Coach like JJ, but how many of those are there?, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Bach;2368712 said:
Also, he was younger and much more driven and had most of his staff together that he brought from Miami. Now, being out of coaching for so long, not having the assistants he's familiar with and not being as familiar with the college talent when it comes to the draft - I just don't think he'd experience that same success even if he were to try to make a comeback.

Yep, he finished his career in Miami coasting on fumes. He almost quit the year before.

silver

Reaction score
Never underestimate the lure of the spotlight (and the money). New stadium, franchise QB, great pass rusher. Who knows?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Jimmy's not coming back, and Jerry's not stepping down as GM.

Sca-rewwwwwwed.

garyv

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson has zero chance of coming back. There is a better chance Cowher would be hired. I only say this because Jerry can and would throw the dollars at Cowher if he felt that is what's needed. Jimmy Johnson likes what hes adoing and where hes at and doesn't want to Coach where I trully believe Cowher would like to return for a SB chance.

silver

Reaction score
bbgun;2368762 said:
Jimmy's not coming back, and Jerry's not stepping down as GM.

Sca-rewwwwwwed.

Temper gets you into trouble. Pride keeps you there.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
silver;2368401 said:
I know it sounds impossible if not utterly moronic but after the book "Boys Will Be Boys" came out the legend of the "Jimster" (as some hated columnist likes to call him) has grown to monumental proportions.

Does he have enough vision to see he will be considered again by many of us to be a great owner & gm if he goes again and does the "right thing"? What are the odds? Would Jimmy accept it?

Even if Jerry & Jimmy made up and he was brought back, it would not be the same nor would he be likely to have anywhere near the same kind of success.

When Jimmy came here in the beginning of the Jones era, it was a unique situation that cannot be duplicated. Jimmy brought a lot of his staff from Miami and had a lot of knowledge of the current crop of college players. His early drafts here reflect that familiarity but once that wore off and those players had moved on his drafts were not as productive.

Jimmy did not have to deal with a salary cap and had full authority to hire assistants or cut players. Had he traded Dan Marino as soon as he came to the Dolphins he would have had much more success with them than he did. He cleaned house when he came to Dallas and got a ton of additional draft picks by trading our best player, Herschel Walker.

My point is that none of these things exist today and he would be coming in without any coaching connections, without any college player knowledge, with a salary cap to deal with (at least for a while), and without the fire of a new opportunity. He is a lot older now and doesn't have the same desire he had 19 years ago. He was in his mid 40s then and is in his 60s now. That is a HUGE difference!

Jimmy also was new to the NFL and had a lot to prove. He was daring and innovative but I expect that now he would have what Parcells suffered from, "old man's disease", playing "not to lose" rather than "playing to win".

I wish he & Jerry could have worked things out back in 1994 but that didn't happen. Bringing him in now would be pointless and would likely set the team back in some ways.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
It's an awesome dream, but I like my memories of Jimmy just the way they are, as the man who restored the glory of the Dallas Cowboys. If he comes back and fails, people will be trashing him just like they are trashing Wade and Parcells. That just would not do.

Time for someone new to step up.