What are you going to be evaluating during Training Camp?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Firstly, I know I haven't posted a lot of threads since the draft. It's mainly because I haven't had much to talk about until now. Plus, I've been very busy recently.

At any rate, the Cowboys will be beginning (https://www.dallascowboys.com/training-camp/) their 2024 Training Camp in two weeks from now. Exciting stuff!! So, it begs the question, what are some of the things that you'll be evaluating? Here are my top 3.

• Firstly, I want to watch Trey Lance vs Rush for the backup job. We know what we have with Cooper Rush. However, Trey Lance has opportunity where he needs to prove what kind of QB he is. He has had most of last year and this offseason to learn the offense. I'm not necessarily expecting him to light up the scoreboard in training camp. What I am going to watch for from him are the following: his poise, his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket, his accuracy, and his decision making. By "his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket", I mean that I want to evaluate if he can keep his eyes down field and get the ball to an open receiver, as opposed to just tucking and running at the first sign of trouble. This does play into decision making, but I separate this because this is particularly distinctive to me for a mobile QB. This will be how I will determine what I think of him.
  • Our run defence: this has been an issue for a long time. However, especially considering that we play the teams this year (particularly the entire AFC North and San Francisco) that are good at running the football, this is an area that needs particular attention. If we can't fix our run defence, this will be a painful season for us.
  • Playing defence from behind: one of my complaints about DQ's system was that, it was great in situations where we had a lead or when we knew the opponents were going to throw the ball. What I want to see is us be more balanced in the sense that I want us to still keep the turnovers coming, but we need to be better in short yardage situations and playing from behind. I felt that DQ's system caused the defence to panic a bit trying to dig for turnovers (which they relied on) as opposed to playing technically sound football. This is largely due to the point above about our struggles against the run. Teams could sort of reduce Micah Parsons' impact by confusing this team whether they were going to run or pass. If they were forced to pass, that was when Parsons would tear them a new one. If we can shut down the run and play more technically sound, I think it'll help Micah Parsons stay fresh longer throughout the season, and it should keep the turnovers coming.
What are some things that you'll be looking for?

fivetwos

Reaction score
First thing I want to see is those two get up there in front of the media with smug grins like the cat who ate the canary and embarrass themselves yet again.

I’ll go from there.

The fan in me wants to see things differently, but we have finally gotten to where I’m no longer fooled.

These two aren’t going to get it done. Sorry.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I was going to say 'nothing' based on the thread title, but after seeing you mention Lance I would say I'm interested in seeing him take some snaps in pre season. Unfortunately, barring injury to both Dak and Rush, he will probably go another full season riding the bench. If that happens it will be a big waste.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I was going to say 'nothing' based on the thread title, but after seeing you mention Lance I would say I'm interested in seeing him take some snaps in pre season. Unfortunately, barring injury to both Dak and Rush, he will probably go another full season riding the bench. If that happens it will be a big waste.

Not particularly, it would give us an idea of what we have in him. It gives us an idea if he legitimately has the tools to be our future QB or not.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First thing I want to see is those two get up there in front of the media with smug grins like the cat who ate the canary and embarrass themselves yet again.

I’ll go from there.

The fan in me wants to see things differently, but we have finally gotten to where I’m no longer fooled.

These two aren’t going to get it done. Sorry.

I agree. However, there are some things for our future that I'm excited to see.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Firstly, I know I haven't posted a lot of threads since the draft. It's mainly because I haven't had much to talk about until now. Plus, I've been very busy recently.

At any rate, the Cowboys will be beginning (https://www.dallascowboys.com/training-camp/) their 2024 Training Camp in two weeks from now. Exciting stuff!! So, it begs the question, what are some of the things that you'll be evaluating? Here are my top 3.

• Firstly, I want to watch Trey Lance vs Rush for the backup job. We know what we have with Cooper Rush. However, Trey Lance has opportunity where he needs to prove what kind of QB he is. He has had most of last year and this offseason to learn the offense. I'm not necessarily expecting him to light up the scoreboard in training camp. What I am going to watch for from him are the following: his poise, his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket, his accuracy, and his decision making. By "his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket", I mean that I want to evaluate if he can keep his eyes down field and get the ball to an open receiver, as opposed to just tucking and running at the first sign of trouble. This does play into decision making, but I separate this because this is particularly distinctive to me for a mobile QB. This will be how I will determine what I think of him.
  • Our run defence: this has been an issue for a long time. However, especially considering that we play the teams this year (particularly the entire AFC North and San Francisco) that are good at running the football, this is an area that needs particular attention. If we can't fix our run defence, this will be a painful season for us.
  • Playing defence from behind: one of my complaints about DQ's system was that, it was great in situations where we had a lead or when we knew the opponents were going to throw the ball. What I want to see is us be more balanced in the sense that I want us to still keep the turnovers coming, but we need to be better in short yardage situations and playing from behind. I felt that DQ's system caused the defence to panic a bit trying to dig for turnovers (which they relied on) as opposed to playing technically sound football. This is largely due to the point above about our struggles against the run. Teams could sort of reduce Micah Parsons' impact by confusing this team whether they were going to run or pass. If they were forced to pass, that was when Parsons would tear them a new one. If we can shut down the run and play more technically sound, I think it'll help Micah Parsons stay fresh longer throughout the season, and it should keep the turnovers coming.
well, some people I know will be keeping QBR stats for practice and Preseason.
@khiladi, get your pencil's sharpened.
:)

Chasing6

Reaction score

GM Jethro's Cognitive Abilities.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't care about the competition for the QB2 job at training camp. That will work itself out in the three preseason games.

I care about the guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball. That's what I'll be looking at.

For me, in terms of the trenches, I want to see how they run block and how they run defend. We need to be better in the run game this year. Much better

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's all about player performance, whether that translates to the QB, OL, DL, RB, WR, or whatever the position may be that's in question. I'm sure all eyes will be on Trey Lance, first and foremost, for most of us. He'll be the focus of the majority of the membership for most of us. We need help.

Count me among those who will pay special attention to those whom I'd like to see doing well enough to help this team become a winning champion again. A team capable of again reaching Super Bowl aspirations. That requires performances that have become rare occurrences, in recent times.

Last edited:

cristglo

Reaction score
Good to see you back Rusty :)
Im sure everyone will have their eyes on Lance Im sure its going to be fun to watch Cooper and Lance battle it out. Lance must show that he can be smart with his reads and move the chains. We know what we have in Cooper and he has been in my opinion a great bus driver for us when Dak has been out.
To make this board explode will be if Lance comes out and reads the field well and scores. Nothing like a QB competition.:)
I will be looking at the OL to see how they gel. Guyton will get a good look-see when Micha lines up in front of him Can Bebee hold his own and get lanes open for the RB.
Did Steele just have a bad last year?
Will Mazi be a part of this defense or is he just a flat out bust.
NO INJURIES PLEASE