What are you going to be evaluating during Training Camp?

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Firstly, I know I haven't posted a lot of threads since the draft. It's mainly because I haven't had much to talk about until now. Plus, I've been very busy recently.

At any rate, the Cowboys will be beginning (https://www.dallascowboys.com/training-camp/) their 2024 Training Camp in two weeks from now. Exciting stuff!! So, it begs the question, what are some of the things that you'll be evaluating? Here are my top 3.

• Firstly, I want to watch Trey Lance vs Rush for the backup job. We know what we have with Cooper Rush. However, Trey Lance has opportunity where he needs to prove what kind of QB he is. He has had most of last year and this offseason to learn the offense. I'm not necessarily expecting him to light up the scoreboard in training camp. What I am going to watch for from him are the following: his poise, his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket, his accuracy, and his decision making. By "his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket", I mean that I want to evaluate if he can keep his eyes down field and get the ball to an open receiver, as opposed to just tucking and running at the first sign of trouble. This does play into decision making, but I separate this because this is particularly distinctive to me for a mobile QB. This will be how I will determine what I think of him.
  • Our run defence: this has been an issue for a long time. However, especially considering that we play the teams this year (particularly the entire AFC North and San Francisco) that are good at running the football, this is an area that needs particular attention. If we can't fix our run defence, this will be a painful season for us.
  • Playing defence from behind: one of my complaints about DQ's system was that, it was great in situations where we had a lead or when we knew the opponents were going to throw the ball. What I want to see is us be more balanced in the sense that I want us to still keep the turnovers coming, but we need to be better in short yardage situations and playing from behind. I felt that DQ's system caused the defence to panic a bit trying to dig for turnovers (which they relied on) as opposed to playing technically sound football. This is largely due to the point above about our struggles against the run. Teams could sort of reduce Micah Parsons' impact by confusing this team whether they were going to run or pass. If they were forced to pass, that was when Parsons would tear them a new one. If we can shut down the run and play more technically sound, I think it'll help Micah Parsons stay fresh longer throughout the season, and it should keep the turnovers coming.
What are some things that you'll be looking for?
If one watched any team other than just Cowboys, one would already know what we have in Trey Lance... We already know what he can/can't do just by seeing what he did in San Francisco.... My question is how he molds with our receivers... None of our QBs are promise land material. Who is? It's anyone's guess at this point.

As for everything else, I agree with your sentiments.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If one watched any team other than just Cowboys, one would already know what we have in Trey Lance... We already know what he can/can't do just by seeing what he did in San Francisco.... My question is how he molds with our receivers... None of our QBs are promise land material. Who is? It's anyone's guess at this point.

As for everything else, I agree with your sentiments.

Well, and this system of Mike's might be a better system for him. It's his opportunity to make sure of that. It's his opportunity to belong that he deserves to be the QB of the future for the Cowboys. He was brought in. He's had time to learn the offense. Now, he needs to show that he has the ability to fit here. He won't take over this year (barring injury), but he will get an opportunity to show his ability and how it translates to this team.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’m interested in seeing what Ryan Flournoy and John Stephens Jr can do. They’re both incredible athletes.

JSJ was supposedly a roster lock last year until he got injured. I’d bet he makes the roster over Hendershot this season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I’m interested in seeing what Ryan Flournoy and John Stephens Jr can do. They’re both incredible athletes.

JSJ was supposedly a roster lock last year until he got injured. I’d bet he makes the roster over Hendershot this season.
I like tweeners like JSJ, if they can be used correctly, they create tremendous mismatches.

However, I don't have much faith in us figuring out how to effectively use him.

75boyz

Reaction score
Coaching and quarterbacking.
Specifically, if Solari/Schott have a well developed plan for a cohesive run blocking scheme. Inside zone, outside zone or man...
If the run blocking is as poor as last year the offense will struggle.
Especially come playoff time as usual.
I prefer Tyler Smith at LT, Bass,Beebe, Zack and Steele.
Everyone is insisting on plug n play LT Guyton and I think he may need some swing tackle bench time to observe before being thrown to the wolves of the AFC North and NFC East d-lines.
The quarterbacking comp btwn Lance and Rush should be good entertainment as well. I hope the winner is determined by performance and not owner preference.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I'm excited for the JSJ and Hendershot battle. I think special teams might be a key decided here. I'm excited for the special teams battles.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Firstly, I know I haven't posted a lot of threads since the draft. It's mainly because I haven't had much to talk about until now. Plus, I've been very busy recently.

At any rate, the Cowboys will be beginning (https://www.dallascowboys.com/training-camp/) their 2024 Training Camp in two weeks from now. Exciting stuff!! So, it begs the question, what are some of the things that you'll be evaluating? Here are my top 3.

• Firstly, I want to watch Trey Lance vs Rush for the backup job. We know what we have with Cooper Rush. However, Trey Lance has opportunity where he needs to prove what kind of QB he is. He has had most of last year and this offseason to learn the offense. I'm not necessarily expecting him to light up the scoreboard in training camp. What I am going to watch for from him are the following: his poise, his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket, his accuracy, and his decision making. By "his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket", I mean that I want to evaluate if he can keep his eyes down field and get the ball to an open receiver, as opposed to just tucking and running at the first sign of trouble. This does play into decision making, but I separate this because this is particularly distinctive to me for a mobile QB. This will be how I will determine what I think of him.
  • Our run defence: this has been an issue for a long time. However, especially considering that we play the teams this year (particularly the entire AFC North and San Francisco) that are good at running the football, this is an area that needs particular attention. If we can't fix our run defence, this will be a painful season for us.
  • Playing defence from behind: one of my complaints about DQ's system was that, it was great in situations where we had a lead or when we knew the opponents were going to throw the ball. What I want to see is us be more balanced in the sense that I want us to still keep the turnovers coming, but we need to be better in short yardage situations and playing from behind. I felt that DQ's system caused the defence to panic a bit trying to dig for turnovers (which they relied on) as opposed to playing technically sound football. This is largely due to the point above about our struggles against the run. Teams could sort of reduce Micah Parsons' impact by confusing this team whether they were going to run or pass. If they were forced to pass, that was when Parsons would tear them a new one. If we can shut down the run and play more technically sound, I think it'll help Micah Parsons stay fresh longer throughout the season, and it should keep the turnovers coming.
First thing I'm watching for is if Lamb shows up.....which I don't think he does. Without him....this offense is pretty much screwed.

conner01

Reaction score

Oline. That’s the key to our season

HungryLion

Reaction score
So, I don’t expect the cowboys to win a Super Bowl nor do I think it’s a realistic shot. Obviously I hope Im wrong but I am not expecting anything more than a first or second round playoff exit.

I think this is a turnover season and you start fresh next season with a new HC and a new direction at QB.

So with that being said. The main thing I want to watch is the young talent who will hopefully make up the future core of the team.

Lance, Guyton, Beebe, Liufau, Kneeland, Overshown etc.

I would like to see them all playing well
And getting experience for the future as the team is clearly rebuilding the OL with youth as the old guard is aging out.

The LB Corp fell apart the last few years and im
Hoping to see a bright future with the pieces they’ve added.

I want to see if Lance could be the future at QB or if they need to look in the first round of the draft next year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, I don’t expect the cowboys to win a Super Bowl nor do I think it’s a realistic shot. Obviously I hope Im wrong but I am not expecting anything more than a first or second round playoff exit.

I think this is a turnover season and you start fresh next season with a new HC and a new direction at QB.

So with that being said. The main thing I want to watch is the young talent who will hopefully make up the future core of the team.

Lance, Guyton, Beebe, Liufau, Kneeland, Overshown etc.

I would like to see them all playing well
And getting experience for the future as the team is clearly rebuilding the OL with youth as the old guard is aging out.

The LB Corp fell apart the last few years and im
Hoping to see a bright future with the pieces they’ve added.

I want to see if Lance could be the future at QB or if they need to look in the first round of the draft next year.

I'm not expecting a SB, but I am curious to see how Dak plays knowing that he's playing for a contract. I'd personally like to keep Mike longer term if there's no clear upgrade at HC. I think he's done a good job for us, and I think he should get the opportunity, if we get a new QB, to choose his QB. I have a feeling that we are going to deeply regret letting Mike go if we do. Especially with Jerry running the show.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm not expecting a SB, but I am curious to see how Dak plays knowing that he's playing for a contract. I'd personally like to keep Mike longer term if there's no clear upgrade at HC. I think he's done a good job for us, and I think he should get the opportunity, if we get a new QB, to choose his QB. I have a feeling that we are going to deeply regret letting Mike go if we do. Especially with Jerry running the show.
I don’t blame McCarthy for the failure here and think he is a good coach.

If we are being honest Mike has taken the team as far as the talent level will allow. I blame the lack of deep playoff run on mostly the FO who ultimately are picking these players.

I have zero faith in the front office to make the right decision on anything.