What are you going to be evaluating during Training Camp?

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's more of a question of how he looks. If Lance plays reasonably well, then the FO may decide not to extend Dak. If he plays horribly, then the FO may not have a choice.
There are some dynamics at play within the McCarthy/Lance/Prescott situation that are pretty much guaranteed to work against each other…..

If Lance absolutely lights it up in the pre-season playing with backups…against backups, that should not be much of a factor in letting Prescott walk away. It would be more about not wanting to pay him, or just the desire to move on.

Lance would need to get into a fair amount of regular season games (say at least six), which likely means injury to Prescott, which probably means a good W/L record should not be expected.

In that case, how do you justify retaining McCarthy, and if you don’t, you’ll be asking Lance to learn yet another offense, and all you saw may not apply.

Or, you’re yet again asking your new HC to inherit a guy like Schottenheimer as a coordinator, which has never worked out over several examples…as in every time except the first.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There are some dynamics at play within the McCarthy/Lance/Prescott situation that are pretty much guaranteed to work against each other…..

If Lance absolutely lights it up in the pre-season playing with backups…against backups, that should not be much of a factor in letting Prescott walk away. It would be more about not wanting to pay him, or just the desire to move on.

Lance would need to get into a fair amount of regular season games (say at least six), which likely means injury to Prescott, which probably means a good W/L record should not be expected.

In that case, how do you justify retaining McCarthy, and if you don’t, you’ll be asking Lance to learn yet another offense, and all you saw may not apply.

Or, you’re yet again asking your new HC to inherit a guy like Schottenheimer as a coordinator, which has never worked out over several examples…as in every time except the first.

I could see that, but I personally think we should keep McCarthy at least another 3 years or so. I think he's a better coach than people realise, and, if we are going to rebuild, especially behind Lance, we almost have to keep him

fivetwos

Reaction score
I could see that, but I personally think we should keep McCarthy at least another 3 years or so. I think he's a better coach than people realise, and, if we are going to rebuild, especially behind Lance, we almost have to keep him
Maybe yeah. Obviously it depends on who else may be considered.

If it’s just going to be Zimmer or Moore, then yeah, I suppose I’d rather go with Mike.

Personally I’d like to take a shot at finding the next McVay, Ryans, McDermott, Shanahan etc.

I’ve about had it with schemes that appear to be very dated and easy to exploit when facing the better teams.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe yeah. Obviously it depends on who else may be considered.

If it’s just going to be Zimmer or Moore, then yeah, I suppose I’d rather go with Mike.

Personally I’d like to take a shot at finding the next McVay, Ryans, McDermott, Shanahan etc.

I’ve about had it with schemes that appear to be very dated and easy to exploit when facing the better teams.

I don't necessarily trust Jerry with finding the next McVay, Shanahan, etc.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't necessarily trust Jerry with finding the next McVay, Shanahan, etc.
Well, there’s no doubt there, which is why this isn’t going to work until they first hit rock bottom.

May as well just keep running it back and hope that being unlucky is real….as they clearly believe is the case.

IMO it’s gotta be either Prescott or a full rebuild, and that rebuild can’t be led by the delusion twins. Wont work.

Either way, I’d wager plenty that the best shot was in the last few years and they couldn’t at all see it and blew it, which tells me that even if and when they DO get themselves within a window to win again, they won’t do enough to get over the top. They constantly overestimate what they have and how much rookies can give them.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Also, I wanna see how we finish plays once the pads come on. I need to see guys dropping guys with physicality, be it during a block in the trenches or be it a wr blocking for another guy on a bubble screen. I need to see REAL change in how we play. Think we can tell alot from Oxnard. We need to see players playing with bad intentions in practice. If I had my way we would bar the media and fans from these practices coming up in Oxnard. Another words, MAYBE the sausage gets made better without a million eyes on the process. Id be ok with very limited fans and SOME media.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, there’s no doubt there, which is why this isn’t going to work until they first hit rock bottom.

May as well just keep running it back and hope that being unlucky is real….as they clearly believe is the case.

IMO it’s gotta be either Prescott or a full rebuild, and that rebuild can’t be led by the delusion twins. Wont work.

Either way, I’d wager plenty that the best shot was in the last few years and they couldn’t at all see it and blew it, which tells me that even if and when they DO get themselves within a window to win again, they won’t do enough to get over the top. They constantly overestimate what they have and how much rookies can give them.

I think Mike would be the right coach for a full rebuild IF Jerry is patient with him. He's a much better coach than Garrett was, and I think he deserves almost as much patience.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Also, I wanna see how we finish plays once the pads come on. I need to see guys dropping guys with physicality, be it during a block in the trenches or be it a wr blocking for another guy on a bubble screen. I need to see REAL change in how we play. Think we can tell alot from Oxnard. We need to see players playing with bad intentions in practice. If I had my way we would bar the media and fans from these practices coming up in Oxnard. Another words, MAYBE the sausage gets made better without a million eyes on the process. Id be ok with very limited fans and SOME media.

Same here, and I want to see this team practicing being in situations with significant adversity. This team didn't handle adversity well last year. They need to work on that.