What are you going to be evaluating during Training Camp?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Firstly, I know I haven't posted a lot of threads since the draft. It's mainly because I haven't had much to talk about until now. Plus, I've been very busy recently.

At any rate, the Cowboys will be beginning (https://www.dallascowboys.com/training-camp/) their 2024 Training Camp in two weeks from now. Exciting stuff!! So, it begs the question, what are some of the things that you'll be evaluating? Here are my top 3.

• Firstly, I want to watch Trey Lance vs Rush for the backup job. We know what we have with Cooper Rush. However, Trey Lance has opportunity where he needs to prove what kind of QB he is. He has had most of last year and this offseason to learn the offense. I'm not necessarily expecting him to light up the scoreboard in training camp. What I am going to watch for from him are the following: his poise, his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket, his accuracy, and his decision making. By "his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket", I mean that I want to evaluate if he can keep his eyes down field and get the ball to an open receiver, as opposed to just tucking and running at the first sign of trouble. This does play into decision making, but I separate this because this is particularly distinctive to me for a mobile QB. This will be how I will determine what I think of him.
  • Our run defence: this has been an issue for a long time. However, especially considering that we play the teams this year (particularly the entire AFC North and San Francisco) that are good at running the football, this is an area that needs particular attention. If we can't fix our run defence, this will be a painful season for us.
  • Playing defence from behind: one of my complaints about DQ's system was that, it was great in situations where we had a lead or when we knew the opponents were going to throw the ball. What I want to see is us be more balanced in the sense that I want us to still keep the turnovers coming, but we need to be better in short yardage situations and playing from behind. I felt that DQ's system caused the defence to panic a bit trying to dig for turnovers (which they relied on) as opposed to playing technically sound football. This is largely due to the point above about our struggles against the run. Teams could sort of reduce Micah Parsons' impact by confusing this team whether they were going to run or pass. If they were forced to pass, that was when Parsons would tear them a new one. If we can shut down the run and play more technically sound, I think it'll help Micah Parsons stay fresh longer throughout the season, and it should keep the turnovers coming.
What are some things that you'll be looking for?
Good write up Rusty.

I know to many this isn’t the case but Training camp to me is boring. For the vets who we already know will be starting and in some cases pro bowlers, etc, there’s not much to get excited over. Most won’t play in any ps games. I understand that a lot of fans get excited about TC and I respect that. For me, I get excited when the regular season starts.

To your original question - what will I be looking for in TC?
  • First and foremost - no starter or key rotational players getting hurt in TC or PS games.
  • Seeing if Trey Lance has anything worth hanging on to. As it stands right now, acquiring him for a 4th round pick seems like a foolish move. Maybe Lance can flash some potential in PS games. Will be worth watching.
  • I will be interested in seeing how fast Tyler Guyton and Cooper Bebee show their potential. Guyton really needs to develop quickly. He’s very talented but pretty raw.
  • Finally I will be looking at what degree of a full court PT Barnum hype fest Jerry will be rolling out. His annual “State of the Cowboys” press conference is good some real belly laughs as he sets another Guinness Book of World records for how many times he says the word “uh” and how many times he embarrasses his HC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don’t blame McCarthy for the failure here and think he is a good coach.

If we are being honest Mike has taken the team as far as the talent level will allow. I blame the lack of deep playoff run on mostly the FO who ultimately are picking these players.

I have zero faith in the front office to make the right decision on anything.

That's the thing. Imo, he's the best coach we have had since Parcells. I almost wonder if the FO is hamstringing him so they can make a claim that they couldn't get it done with what most of us would say is a real coach, so they'll go back to a puppet. Watch, Jerry's going to hire Kellen as HC, and then, magically, we're going to have cap space to sign free agents. It's not fair to McCarthy, but I could see that being the case. If Jerry would give Mike the pieces to work with, Mike can take us to the SB. He's proven he can with Green Bay.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good write up Rusty.

I know to many this isn’t the case but Training camp to me is boring. For the vets who we already know will be starting and in some cases pro bowlers, etc, there’s not much to get excited over. Most won’t play in any ps games. I understand that a lot of fans get excited about TC and I respect that. For me, I get excited when the regular season starts.

To your original question - what will I be looking for in TC?
  • First and foremost - no starter or key rotational players getting hurt in TC or PS games.
  • Seeing if Trey Lance has anything worth hanging on to. As it stands right now, acquiring him for a 4th round pick seems like a foolish move. Maybe Lance can flash some potential in PS games. Will be worth watching.
  • I will be interested in seeing how fast Tyler Guyton and Cooper Bebee show their potential. Guyton really needs to develop quickly. He’s very talented but pretty raw.
  • Finally I will be looking at what degree of a full court PT Barnum hype fest Jerry will be rolling out. His annual “State of the Cowboys” press conference is good some real belly laughs as he sets another Guinness Book of World records for how many times he says the word “uh” and how many times he embarrasses his HC.

I very much appreciate that, Bob, about the write up.

I definitely think Lance should be a big first place to look. As for the oline, I really think we should get Bakhtiari. With Tyler Smith, Bebee, and Guyton on the team, I think having Zach Martin and Bakhtiari would be incredible mentors for them. It's good to have veteran players to help guide younger players along. I was watching the 2021 Hard Knocks the other day, and I don't think CeeDee would've been the pro receiver he is if not for Amar Cooper. Dak benefited from Romo and Mark Sanchez. It's, simply put, smart to have a couple veterans to help your key young players learn the pro systems.

quickccc

Reaction score
1) easily will be QB Trey Lance .... TC and preseason is his time to shine .. rise or fall ... the backup QB will virtually be given to him to win or
lose. We just don't need to see Cooper Rush. We know his physical limitations and his experience with the offense - the top reps and preseason playing time IS going to Lance.

2) rookie LT Tyler Guyton - it's super critical to get a capable-consistent pass blocker for Daks' blind side. And supposedly Guyton is raw in technique but very athletic - it could be a very bumpy learning curve - Plan B option is vet Chuma and Plan C is moving Tyler Smith to LT.

3) 3rd WR battle per jalen vs jalen ( Tolbert vs Brooks) some were impressed with Brooks savvy and confidence, he seemed more NFL ready as a rookie than what Tolbert was as a rookie. Brooks was fluid and displayed ball-contested toughness but so did Tolbert.

4) DT Mazi Smith and Justin Rogers,.,...TE John Stephens..., .. LBs D-Mo & Marist Liufau ...and safety Juanyee Thomas
5) DEs Sam Williams & rookie Marshawn Kneeland -
we need key rush behind Parsons/Dlaw
6) rookie center Cooper Beebee,.. how long will it be before he unseats vet fav (by Solari) Brock Hoffman ?
by summer or during season ?

7) watch to see if the RBs will be far more schemed and involved in pass game (see coaches)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
1) easily will be QB Trey Lance .... TC and preseason is his time to shine .. rise or fall ... the backup QB will virtually be given to him to win or
lose. We just don't need to see Cooper Rush. We know his physical limitations and his experience with the offense - the top reps and preseason playing time IS going to Lance.

2) rookie LT Tyler Guyton - it's super critical to get a capable-consistent pass blocker for Daks' blind side. And supposedly Guyton is raw in technique but very athletic - it could be a very bumpy learning curve - Plan B option is vet Chuma and Plan C is moving Tyler Smith to LT.

3) 3rd WR battle per jalen vs jalen ( Tolbert vs Brooks) some were impressed with Brooks savvy and confidence, he seemed more NFL ready as a rookie than what Tolbert was as a rookie. Brooks was fluid and displayed ball-contested toughness but so did Tolbert.

4) DT Mazi Smith and Justin Rogers,.,...TE John Stephens..., .. LBs D-Mo & Marist Liufau ...and safety Juanyee Thomas
5) DEs Sam Williams & rookie Marshawn Kneeland -
we need key rush behind Parsons/Dlaw
6) rookie center Cooper Beebee,.. how long will it be before he unseats vet fav (by Solari) Brock Hoffman ?
by summer or during season ?

7) watch to see if the RBs will be far more schemed and involved in pass game (see coaches)

Yeah, Tolbert and Brooks should be a great battle, a long with Mazi and Rogers. I like those positions to watch too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Firstly, I know I haven't posted a lot of threads since the draft. It's mainly because I haven't had much to talk about until now. Plus, I've been very busy recently.

At any rate, the Cowboys will be beginning (https://www.dallascowboys.com/training-camp/) their 2024 Training Camp in two weeks from now. Exciting stuff!! So, it begs the question, what are some of the things that you'll be evaluating? Here are my top 3.

• Firstly, I want to watch Trey Lance vs Rush for the backup job. We know what we have with Cooper Rush. However, Trey Lance has opportunity where he needs to prove what kind of QB he is. He has had most of last year and this offseason to learn the offense. I'm not necessarily expecting him to light up the scoreboard in training camp. What I am going to watch for from him are the following: his poise, his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket, his accuracy, and his decision making. By "his ability to manage his mobility vs his ability to throw from the pocket", I mean that I want to evaluate if he can keep his eyes down field and get the ball to an open receiver, as opposed to just tucking and running at the first sign of trouble. This does play into decision making, but I separate this because this is particularly distinctive to me for a mobile QB. This will be how I will determine what I think of him.
  • Our run defence: this has been an issue for a long time. However, especially considering that we play the teams this year (particularly the entire AFC North and San Francisco) that are good at running the football, this is an area that needs particular attention. If we can't fix our run defence, this will be a painful season for us.
  • Playing defence from behind: one of my complaints about DQ's system was that, it was great in situations where we had a lead or when we knew the opponents were going to throw the ball. What I want to see is us be more balanced in the sense that I want us to still keep the turnovers coming, but we need to be better in short yardage situations and playing from behind. I felt that DQ's system caused the defence to panic a bit trying to dig for turnovers (which they relied on) as opposed to playing technically sound football. This is largely due to the point above about our struggles against the run. Teams could sort of reduce Micah Parsons' impact by confusing this team whether they were going to run or pass. If they were forced to pass, that was when Parsons would tear them a new one. If we can shut down the run and play more technically sound, I think it'll help Micah Parsons stay fresh longer throughout the season, and it should keep the turnovers coming.
What are some things that you'll be looking for?
Lance
Guyton
Mazi

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I’m not taking this year serious.

The Cowboys didn’t even take the offfseaon serious so how am I supposed to?

I can understand that, but there are aspects, if for no other reason than our future, that I'm curious to see this training camp. I think Trey Lance, the NT battle, and some of the other battles will be critical to see how they can develop going forward. I think learning Lance has learned will go a long way in terms of QB evaluation. Even if the FO is throwing this season away, there are still a lot of things that can be learned about the team going forward.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I can understand that, but there are aspects, if for no other reason than our future, that I'm curious to see this training camp. I think Trey Lance, the NT battle, and some of the other battles will be critical to see how they can develop going forward. I think learning Lance has learned will go a long way in terms of QB evaluation. Even if the FO is throwing this season away, there are still a lot of things that can be learned about the team going forward.

I think if Lance was our starting QB I’d be more excited for the season.

I’d love to change and see what happens. If we’re bad then I’m ok with that.

Paying Dak and trying to piece a team around him with the leftovers is a story I know the end to.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think if Lance was our starting QB I’d be more excited for the season.

I’d love to change and see what happens. If we’re bad then I’m ok with that.

Paying Dak and trying to piece a team around him with the leftovers is a story I know the end to.

It's more of a question of how he looks. If Lance plays reasonably well, then the FO may decide not to extend Dak. If he plays horribly, then the FO may not have a choice.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I care about no major injuries to our core players.. Go come out of training camp clean come out of preseason clean...