What are your feelings about trading Zack Martin?

Sydla

Reaction score
Not for the sake of dumping him. It’s trading him a year early instead of a year late and using the salary elsewhere. Take a look at NE over the last decade. They made a killing doing this exact thing. Knowing when a player was in decline before anyone else and moving on from them while they could still get value. It’s a business. Plain and simple.
He'd be a FA next year so you couldn't trade him anyway.

And if you trade him now for picks in this draft, you only save $4.5 million in cap space. So you aren't really going to have a lot of money to spend if you dump him. Sure, you lose his $18MM base salary but you have to then slam all the restructure and pro-rated cap hits against the cap this year resulting in less than $5MM in cap savings.

Maybe you think it's worth it? It might be depending on what the return would be but the reality is if you trade him, your RG next year will be playing for roughly the same cap hit as Martin is and likely wouldn't be as good.

Eddie

Reaction score
Everyone is tradeable. I have no problem trading aging All Pro's for draft picks ... depends on the draft pick.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
6 time all pro in 9 years (1 of 6 OL to ever have that honor, the other 5 are in the HOF). Didn't see a ton of him losing one on ones. Steele was garbage, and Biad just holds on for dear life while being driven back 7 yards. Tyron can't stay on the field, and this might be his worst year in a long time when he was on the field. Window is pretty much shut for this team. 2024 is all or rebuild imo.
This years All Pro nod was a joke. I'm not saying TB doesn't also get overpowered but Zack lost too often to be overlooked. If ZM was as good as the accolades, why haven't we been able to run behind him to convert short yardage situations the last 3 years? Because he doesn't move his guy that often.

I agree they should view this as a rebuild. Get busy rebuilding the core and of course looking for another QB.

stinkface

Reaction score
Interesting. I posted we should trade Martin and Parsons to Washington and the moderators moved it to the Roster forum. Why is this here and my post moved?

Cebrin

Reaction score
This years All Pro nod was a joke. I'm not saying TB doesn't also get overpowered but Zack lost too often to be overlooked. If ZM was as good as the accolades, why haven't we been able to run behind him to convert short yardage situations the last 3 years? Because he doesn't move his guy that often.

I agree they should view this as a rebuild. Get busy rebuilding the core and of course looking for another QB.
If I have to explain it, you probably still won't understand. No worries. Agree to disagree.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If I have to explain it, you probably still won't understand. No worries. Agree to disagree.
By all means explain it to me. Better yet, show me. Or you can take a look at the film and realize I can show you far more losses & stalemates than you can show me wins.

We can agree to disagree. But I'll still be right.

Cebrin

Reaction score
By all means explain it to me. Better yet, show me. Or you can take a look at the film and realize I can show you far more losses & stalemates than you can show me wins.

We can agree to disagree. But I'll still be right.
Put a bottle of cologne between 2 cow patties and all you'll smell is ....
We run heavy zone schemes. Biad gets blown back 5 yards almost every down unless he's helped by Martin. Steele can't block a phone call. Does Zach get beat sometimes? Yeah. Saying he's completely fallen off is ridiculous to me considering what's to his left and right, scheme, coaching and coming off injury . Also, the entire OL has gone downhill since Callahan left. Our OL coach sucks.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I'm for trading anyone and everyone for draft capital since next season is a wash, and we will continue to ignore FA, and we will be rebuilding within three years anyway. Unfortunately, we have idiots running the team, so it really wouldn't work.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Address the Center position and bring in a reasonable facsimile of a RT via FA - bingo! The OL is good to go.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
He’s 33.. If he has value make the trade.

Dallas isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Zack has been great but honestly, guard is pretty easy to replace with a guy u can plug in and develop. We have Bass and Hoffman. Hoffman can play center, maybe even start and be better than Biadazz. So I aint worried if we lose Zack. We better fix tackle though. I think we can upgrade there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
trade Zack to Atlanta get some draft capital. Hes 33 and slowed down.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its time to cut Lance loose in preseason and see what he can do. If he can drive the bus, maybe we can move Dak. Dak might have 3 years left in the NFL.

ICP

Reaction score
Trade him, keep him, as long as the Jones are running the show I don't think it matters. That being said, with the current state of Dallas OL, the lack of draft pics, the cap situation, and the lack of significant free agent acquisitions the team is known for, I don't see how you don't keep him especially if your claiming your going 'All In' whatever that means in Jerry speak

jwitten82

Reaction score
He’s 33.. If he has value make the trade.

Dallas isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Honestly, I was against this at first, but Martin will be 34 this year. Probably has 2-3 seasons before he retires. It's probably best Dallas gets something for him