What are your feelings about trading Zack Martin?

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s feasible but I’m in the camp of looking at every option to make the team better. If trading a player gets us enough I’m looking at it. This probably isn’t the move because of the contract

MyFairLady

Reaction score
OMFG forget I said anything his 18 million base salary is fully guaranteed. This team is a toilet bowl.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
If another team wants to spend 18M on an OG, they could get a good player...No picks required.

davidr295

Reaction score
Hard to play guard when the center is constantly getting manhandled backwards

Cebrin

Reaction score
This is the Cowboy mantra. Not Daks fault he needs better players around him. No Martins fault he needs better players around him. Not Parsons fault he needs better players around him. Not Lawrences fault he needs better players around him. You are the highest paid players and the "stars" of the team. It is 100% their fault.
Lol. Okay. :rolleyes:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I would in a heartbeat. He is in decline. Time for a total reset on the OL:

LT - Asim
LG - Tyler
C - high draft pick
RG - Bass
RT - Steele (in the hopes he rebounds another year removed from the injury)

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I don't want to trade him, but he is the easiest to replace. So for the right price I would to create space to sign players like Micah, and lamb chops

Sydla

Reaction score
I would in a heartbeat. He is in decline. Time for a total reset on the OL:

LT - Asim
LG - Tyler
C - high draft pick
RG - Bass
RT - Steele (in the hopes he rebounds another year removed from the injury)
That's quite the OL.

It really is stunning that one of the biggest gripes this offseason has been that the OL and run game failed, we need to retool the line and now people are advocating for dumping the one all pro and the most consistent OL we had.

It's funny. I often think the fans here, at times, actually make some pretty good personnel calls. But at times, someone will say, "Glad you aren't our GM"............. this is one of those times. Dumping Martin for the sake of dumping him. LOL.

Sydla

Reaction score
Would you rather have Zack Martin, or a 1st round pick and a hole at RG?
You probably aren't getting a first round pick for Martin. OL don't necessarily get a ton in return in a trade. Trent Williams, a few years ago, went for a 3rd and 5th rounder.

And you'd also get $4.5MM in cap space if you traded him before this draft.

In other words, there isn't much logic behind trading him now unless you got a total haul, which seems unlikely when looking at various historical OL trades.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You probably aren't getting a first round pick for Martin. OL don't necessarily get a ton in return in a trade. Trent Williams, a few years ago, went for a 3rd and 5th rounder.

And you'd also get $4.5MM in cap space if you traded him before this draft.

In other words, there isn't much logic behind trading him now unless you got a total haul, which seems unlikely when looking at various historical OL trades.
Yeah, I provided a 1st as an optimistic scenario. I don't even think I'd take that.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Is he declining or is he having to help the two scrubs to his left and right too much?
He's losing one on one's. If you are 1st team All Pro, you should be a positive difference maker.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Neither of our GMs are capable of trading players and picks to get into an optimal position.

They just collect players through the draft and hope it all works somehow.
This. I don’t think our GM has the savvy or guts to make a trade like this.

Micah, Diggs, Pollard, etc. if it helps generate picks, shop away I say.

Cebrin

Reaction score
He's losing one on one's. If you are 1st team All Pro, you should be a positive difference maker.
6 time all pro in 9 years (1 of 6 OL to ever have that honor, the other 5 are in the HOF). Didn't see a ton of him losing one on ones. Steele was garbage, and Biad just holds on for dear life while being driven back 7 yards. Tyron can't stay on the field, and this might be his worst year in a long time when he was on the field. Window is pretty much shut for this team. 2024 is all or rebuild imo.

Loso86

Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
And make the line worse?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
That's quite the OL.

It really is stunning that one of the biggest gripes this offseason has been that the OL and run game failed, we need to retool the line and now people are advocating for dumping the one all pro and the most consistent OL we had.

It's funny. I often think the fans here, at times, actually make some pretty good personnel calls. But at times, someone will say, "Glad you aren't our GM"............. this is one of those times. Dumping Martin for the sake of dumping him. LOL.
Not for the sake of dumping him. It’s trading him a year early instead of a year late and using the salary elsewhere. Take a look at NE over the last decade. They made a killing doing this exact thing. Knowing when a player was in decline before anyone else and moving on from them while they could still get value. It’s a business. Plain and simple.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
In a rebuild, sure..........

This isn't a rebuild so it makes no sense to trade away your best OL and create yet another hole when you have a question at center and your LT is injury riddled.

And PS - his "declining" play is overstated. Yeah, he's not as good as he was 6 years ago, but he was an all pro again last year.
This. I'd trade him and other veterans in a heartbeat if the price is right and we would be in a true rebuild. But we're not. They're trying to go down that very same road they have been walking the last couple of years.

And in this scenario it wouldn't make any sense to trade one of the better players.

Sydla

Reaction score
6 time all pro in 9 years (1 of 6 OL to ever have that honor, the other 5 are in the HOF). Didn't see a ton of him losing one on ones. Steele was garbage, and Biad just holds on for dear life while being driven back 7 yards. Tyron can't stay on the field, and this might be his worst year in a long time when he was on the field. Window is pretty much shut for this team. 2024 is all or rebuild imo.
Sometimes I really wonder about our fanbase.