What are your feelings about trading Zack Martin?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
Martin is still a good player here and if you're all in you need Zack Martin. Frankly even if he was made available for trade I doubt the Cowboys would get the value back for him he carries.

1) Teams don't priortize G which is why most don't go high in the draft.
2) At 34, no one is going to trade high picks for Martin. You may get a mid round pick, but I see no value in making a trade like that.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
One of my favorite things are statements like Martin has more value here than he has anywhere else or we would not get back what he is worth in a trade. Stuff like that. What does that even mean? Either he is worth something or he isn't. If you can't trade him for anything I am gonna let you in on a little secret. That means he isn't worth anything.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
One of my favorite things are statements like Martin has more value here than he has anywhere else or we would not get back what he is worth in a trade. Stuff like that. What does that even mean? Either he is worth something or he isn't. If you can't trade him for anything I am gonna let you in on a little secret. That means he isn't worth anything.
Typically if a player has more value to his current team than another team it has to do with that players contract, and I think that is the situation with the Cowboys too. That really is where Martin loses his value, and unless a team is going to give you a monster return it really isnt worth it move on from Martin. You move him right now and the Cowboys are still eating $24M in cap space this year. To me that isnt worth getting a 4th round pick back to lose a starting G and only net enough cap space to backfill his position with a low to mid tier free agent.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
With the current state of the Cowboys I'm not against moving on from any individual player, as your really cant keep the current roster intact and go out and add to with any significance. With Martin I guess it really just depends on the return as I'm not seeing much upside financially to trading him. If you get offered a top 50 pick in the upcoming draft I wouldn't be mad at all if the Cowboys made a move like this. Do I trade him for another Amari Cooper type of return? No chance.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
First of all I preface this by saying I don’t even know it’s feasible. As for everyone that wants to complain at Dak’s 2024 cap hit currently at 59 million, Zack’s cap hit number comes in 2nd at 28.5 million for 2024.

Yes he’s been a good soldier and one of the most decorated Olineman in Cowboys history, but why not trade him while he still has value? His play is declining IMO and I’m just throwing it out there to get the boards thoughts.
I have no problem trading any veteran if he brings fair value and lowers the cap. However, I don’t think Martin brings much trade value at all. His game has slipped. He’s starting to play with more nagging injuries. His age is a factor, and frankly, no one trades much for an OG unless he’s a young road grader. You don’t need great pass protection inside where the center can help. You need guys who can move people in the run game. Besides Dallas fans who value any guy receiving media awards, you’d be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for Martin.

chagus

Reaction score
At this point, i dont trust anything Dallas does. If they were to trade Martin they'd probably get a 5th or conditional 3rd for him. I dont think its worth the hassle.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Well if we go as far as trying to trade a half-broken hall of famer RG like Zach it signals we are in rebuild mode, so there is zero point in extending our QB and we also trade Micah. When is the last time Jerry has made such a move? ie. this will never happen

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I love the idea. He's over-rated anyway IMO. Federick was the true ALL pro. Get a 1 or 2 and a good defensive player I'm all for it. Another problem with Jerry. He holds on to great players far too long. Trade em while you can still get high draft comp.

zerofill

Reaction score
I doubt we would get much for a guy that probably has 1 to 2 more seasons left in reality at 33.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't really have an answer about Zach..
But let's face it guys, It's not the players.
We know what the problem is.
Until that gets fixed, we're just moving pieces around on the chessboard. Decade after decade.
JERALD.

Sydla

Reaction score
IMHO if the best you can do with 18 million is a 33 year old guard who is past his prime then I guess none of this really matters.
Are you saying if we cut or trade Martin now we have $18 million in cap space to spend on someone better than a 33 year old guard?

Sydla

Reaction score
I love the idea. He's over-rated anyway IMO. Federick was the true ALL pro. Get a 1 or 2 and a good defensive player I'm all for it. Another problem with Jerry. He holds on to great players far too long. Trade em while you can still get high draft comp.
Hahahaha.

Dude is a lock for the Hall of Fame, one of the best guards of all time, earned his 7th all pro just last season.

Only in Cowboys Land could a guy like that be overrated.

I'll never understand this fanbase.

khiladi

Reaction score
Hahahaha.

Dude is a lock for the Hall of Fame, one of the best guards of all time, earned his 7th all pro just last season.

Only in Cowboys Land could a guy like that be overrated.

I'll never understand this fanbase.
I remember him a couple years back absolutely dominating Aaron Donaldson 1 game.. Both Zeke and Pollard rushed for over a hundred yards.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is a "no trade" clause to the one you are referring to, although he's not so great.

Sydla

Reaction score
Since there is talk in this thread about using his money to get better players, let's look at his contract.

- Base Salary of $18MM (it's guaranteed)
- $4.6MM in prorated bonus
- $19.3MM in restructures

There are three void years in 2025, 2026, 2027

If you cut him right now, the Cowboys have to eat ALL of those cap charges - $41.9MM. Currently his cap charge for 2024 is $28.5MM meaning you'd have to take ANOTHER $13.4MM in cap charges to cut him. Because the base salary is guaranteed, the Cowboys have to eat that as a cap charge, they don't save the base salary in a cut. There is an offset, however. If he signs a new deal, his base salary with the new team would decrease our cap hit on the $18MM guaranteed. In other words, if Martin signed a new deal with an initial base of $5MM in 2024, we'd have to take a $13MM cap hit on that base as opposed to the full $18MM.

If you trade him right now, we save only around $4.5MM in cap space because while we shift the $18MM guaranteed base off to the new team, we still have to account for prorated bonus and the restructures.

If you cut him post June 1, you save nothing. Because by splitting the cap hit over two years, you wipe away the current cap charge of $28.5MM netting to zero and then shift the void year cap charges into 2025. Again, there could be an offset here with his new contract offsetting a portion of the $18MM guaranteed base salary.

If you trade him post June 1, you save just the base salary this year of $18MM because you transfer that to the new team. With a cap hit of $28.5 million that year, you reduce this year's cap hit to $10.5MM by trading the $18MM base salary and then push all the cap charges in the void years to 2025.