What can actually be done with Jaylon Smith?

John813

Reaction score
It’s a shot in the dark but one team that could plausibly have some level of interest in Jaylon is the Colts.

He’s from Indiana and the coach (Eberflus) he saw early success under is coaching there.

That said, I wouldn’t think the Colts would be stupid enough to take on that contract.

He sucked in 2017, the last year Matt was here.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Definitely isn't physical. It goes back to his time at ND before the injury.

:43 Gets demolished and blown out of the play.
1:00 tries to dance away from a block, loses balance, and lets the RB break off a big run.
1:50 destroyed on a block
2:05 lost in the trash
5:10 dances around a block and takes himself out of the play
5:20 blocked 1:1

:23 looks like he has contain and just holds it.
:36 blocked out of the play and loses position
:48 bad angle and poor attempt at an arm tackle
2:45 tries to dance around instead of sticking his nose in there.
2:49 again, dances himself out of the play
2:56 blocked out of the play
5:09 obliterated off the edge

Goes to show how an "image" can get created by fans & media that lives in spite of evidence otherwise. I never understood the "generational talent" hype around him even before he got injured. Sad that professional evaluators couldn't see thru the myth during the draft evaluation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Stop.

Just answer the question, for once, and STOP spinning and straight up lying.

Dig deep. You can do it.

YOU made this about Dak. Not me. Simple question as to your integrity.

Well.. Please clarify what it is you want me to answer and I will.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s the worst player on the field every single game and we’re still having this discussion... I’m baffled he hasn’t been cut, it’s beyond obvious now what’s the damn hold up.
Yep but don't forget he's a Jerry project child.....:facepalm:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of Smith talk but I would love to get your serious take on what can actually be done with him. He was one of the worst players on the field again last night. The Giants game was the only good one he has had dating back to mid season last year. I don’t think he is limited physically. Personally I think he prefers to avoid direct contact, shows poor effort and clearly does little work in the film room.

If you were GM:

1. Would you cut him, trade him, bench him?
2. If you trade him what do you seriously think his trade value is?

I would trade him. I think someone would try to fix him. I think he gets you a 5 or a 6.

Thanks for your views.

In my opinion, the defense will be held back if Jaylon continues to remain a starter with this team. He more likely gets cut, then gets traded due to his contract. If the team does decide to make such a move, they are razor thin at the position and would almost have to bring in multiple linebackers in the off-season.

lkelly

Reaction score
We could grind him up and feed him to Dexter Coakley's dogs.

That assumes that we can't find a trade partner.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They should have made the decision to draft Myles Jack instead of him in 2016. Too late now
his college tape was much better than Myles and it was a gamble, which I think we could have traded down and get......but I think he has lost focus. he got his big contract. he knows he won't get another one. he is focused on business. he is always in the wrong place, so that alone tells me he doesnt' really study tape. he is already retiring before the season ends...he may get a token contract somewhere, perhaps he doesnt' think he will get cut and if he does, that maybe a wake up call, but man he plays like a dumb dumb football player.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
What the hell happened to 2018 Jaylon Smith? It is incredible how far he has slipped.

That guy got paid which is the #1 goal of players in Dallas. Has been for many years. Make a few plays on your rookie deal and Jerry will pay you. Jaylon Smith is at the back of a long line of players that duped Jerry into paying them and then coasted for years while their contract made it impossible to cut them.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of Smith talk but I would love to get your serious take on what can actually be done with him. He was one of the worst players on the field again last night. The Giants game was the only good one he has had dating back to mid season last year. I don’t think he is limited physically. Personally I think he prefers to avoid direct contact, shows poor effort and clearly does little work in the film room.

If you were GM:

I would trade him. I think someone would try to fix him. I think he gets you a 5 or a 6.

Thanks for your views.

He's worth something to somebody. He just doesn't fit this scheme.

And I think this 4-2-5 mess is some project with Nolan who wants to be the genius who perfects it. And I think his biggest problem is finding players who fit his scheme.

1. We need a space eater at nose tackle.
2. We need speed everywhere.
3. And where these players have been taught read and react, Nolan is now telling them to pay on instinct.

And Jaylon is hard to gauge. We've seen him take the outside fake when the play went up the gut and last night we saw him hang inside just long enough for Scott to turn the corner. Shop him around and see what he'd bring, but I wouldn't ship him out on a low ball offer since he does lead the league in tackles which in itself says he is hardnosed, willing to tackle, and plays hard.

Ren

Reaction score
Cutting him would cost to much and no one is going to trade for that production with that contract so he has no trade value at all which pretty much means he’ll get another shot next season.

Imagine if we had spent that money on Byron Jones instead

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

If you were GM:

Thanks for your views.

Important with Jaylon - his contract is guaranteed for injury for the next two years. If we think we're moving on, we need to get him off the field sooner rather than later to avoid the risk of those injury guarantees kicking in.

Trading him now would be good, as some might take it as a fire sale instead of an indication of his value. If anyone would trade for him, we should take it. He is nowhere near worth his contract, and I don't expect him to ever be.

I think physically the leg regressed starting last year, and that's why he's playing the way he does.

Watch Jaylon get completely stonewalled by the first heavy bag of the Gridiron Gauntlet Pro Bowl 2020 - You actually have to push 3 bags and he couldn't push one. Goto 43 seconds and play on slow mo. He's tip tapping his left leg instead of driving.

Jaylon ain't right.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I keep him and try to find a stud to play next to him in the case of 55 not staying healthy. He’s the type player where his play is affected by his confidence level and I try to keep him in attack mode as much as possible.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cutting him would cost to much and no one is going to trade for that production with that contract so he has no trade value at all which pretty much means he’ll get another shot next season.

We're fine on the cap cutting him before his contract is gtd next season. Better to save that 7.2mil salary. Joe Thomas is better than Jaylon today.

Giving him another chance means guaranteeing that money. No. Avoidable GTD money is not for a "chance" not to be horrible.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
Definitely isn't physical. It goes back to his time at ND before the injury.

:43 Gets demolished and blown out of the play.
1:00 tries to dance away from a block, loses balance, and lets the RB break off a big run.
1:50 destroyed on a block
2:05 lost in the trash
5:10 dances around a block and takes himself out of the play
5:20 blocked 1:1

:23 looks like he has contain and just holds it.
:36 blocked out of the play and loses position
:48 bad angle and poor attempt at an arm tackle
2:45 tries to dance around instead of sticking his nose in there.
2:49 again, dances himself out of the play
2:56 blocked out of the play
5:09 obliterated off the edge

Wow. He's the same player he was in college. I always thought maybe his injury was still holding him back in some way, but no, this is just the way he has always played. The guy isn't good.