What Constitutes A Successful Season?

TheHerd

Reaction score
Do you look back on 2007 as a successful season or a disappointment?

Everything is not gravy. We have to have playoff success. It's time for this organization to get itself over the hump. Right now.

This is a team that used to measure itself on if they won the Superbowl. That is where we need to get to.

Yes, 2007 was successful. It was also disappointing.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Do you look back on 2007 as a successful season or a disappointment?

Everything is not gravy. We have to have playoff success. It's time for this organization to get itself over the hump. Right now.

This is a team that used to measure itself on if they won the Superbowl. That is where we need to get to.
To me it is based on expectations after Romo went down no one expected this year. 2007 was a dissapointment because we had made the playoffs the year before and the team was expected to go far in 2007.

I agree expectations used to be SBs but 20 years of not having that had made us excited about play in games. This year was totally unexpected, but because of the 2 rookies my expectations starting next year will be back to the lofty standards set by the great Landry and Johnson teams.

Dracula

Reaction score
For me a successful season means that I have a glimmer of hope that my teams are trending upward. Tom Herman's hire as the new HC of the Texas Longhorns automatically raised this past 5-7 season to a successful one. This season, the Cowboys success,the storyline behind it, and the vertical trend track has spoiled me. Anything less than a Super Bowl Championship will be a disappointment.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
To me it is based on expectations after Romo went down no one expected this year. 2007 was a dissapointment because we had made the playoffs the year before and the team was expected to go far in 2007.

I agree expectations used to be SBs but 20 years of not having that had made us excited about play in games. This year was totally unexpected, but because of the 2 rookies my expectations starting next year will be back to the lofty standards set by the great Landry and Johnson teams.

Expectations change once more information is gathered. Especially in sports. Especially in the NFL when what happened to Dallas this year happens all the time for different teams each season.

In the NFL you have to strike while the iron is hot.

The Patriots and whatever team Payton Manning is on have been the only real consistencies.

We can't expect Dallas to be good next year or have the opportunity they have right now just because we should be better next year in theory.. The NFL doesn't work like that.

The time is NOW.

bark

Reaction score
I would characterize this season a a very pleasant surprise. The success level will be determined by the playoffs

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
I think what constitutes a successful season is directly related to how the team did the previous season. After what happened last year, and the fact that Romo went down and we had to start a rookie at QB, I would say this season is already wildly successful regardless of what happens in the playoffs. Of course, now that we've tasted success, we all want the big prize. Still, I would say this has been a successful season already.

Now as for next season, that's different. Regardless of what happens in the playoffs next month, the expectations for the 17 season will be huge. Next season, anything short of a NFC Championship game or Super Bowl appearance, and that season will be considered a failure.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Man, I don't think there was a serious Cowboys fan in the world who wasn't concerned about the future at QB going into the season. And then Tony went down.

This has already been the most successful season I've witnessed as a fan (i was like 5 during the Super Bowl runs). We see teams every year mortgaging their whole draft, and possibly two drafts to get the guy they *think* can be an NFL QB. We got one in the 4th round.

And he's had what is probably the best rookie season, ever, for a QB. Even if we missed on every other pick in the draft, this season alone is a huge success because we found that guy.

Top it off with a legitimate MVP and ROY candidate in Zeke who is just on another level behind this offensive line, a guy in Collins who looks like he can be a quality starter at DT, and another guy who has starting potential at CB in the 6th round. This season has been more successful than I ever thought. If Jaylon can play, and even play at a 2nd round grade level, there could be a legit argument this was one of the best drafts in the modern era.

Given how well they're playing, an early exit from the playoffs would be disappointing, depending how we lose. If Rodgers/Ryan get hot and we lose, I ain't mad at 'em. Already been a season i'm sure we'll all look back on and think about how it all got started.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
finding a long term replacement for our franchise qb is a success in itself.

so we already have achieved it IMO. everything from here on is gravy

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Only one successful team each year. Win a championship and it's successful, period.

None of this, rookies, blah blah, gravy, blah blah. Championship.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Would love to see the Super Bowl, getting there would shut up alot of people.

But we have already won cause our window of winning has opened up to a decade with our last draft.

Even if we lose, we know we will be back again for the next decade. As Charlie from Two and a Half Men would say, thats called winning.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
IMO, if they get to the NFCC, play a solid game, but lose, I'd still consider it a successful season, albeit with a disappointing end.

Youth might cost us against a team like Seattle or NE, but my guess is that great veteran QBs like Brady or Rodgers will exploit the weaknesses on D and the Cowboys might not be able to overcome it. As maddening as watching Tom Brady or Russell Wilson pass his team down the field for the winning score at Brandon Carr's expense would be, it really shouldn't surprise anyone.

On the other hand, it should leave a bitter taste in the mouth of every Cowboys fan if they lose in the divisional round again. Especially given that it's at home, and might be to the NYG.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think what constitutes a successful season is directly related to how the team did the previous season. After what happened last year, and the fact that Romo went down and we had to start a rookie at QB, I would say this season is already wildly successful regardless of what happens in the playoffs. Of course, now that we've tasted success, we all want the big prize. Still, I would say this has been a successful season already.

Now as for next season, that's different. Regardless of what happens in the playoffs next month, the expectations for the 17 season will be huge. Next season, anything short of a NFC Championship game or Super Bowl appearance, and that season will be considered a failure.

The NFL does not work like this.

When you have the opportunity you have to strike.

It's not a league where if you're good the previous year than you have any guarantees for the next year.

The Patriots are the only consistent team and one of the advantages they have over everyone else is they play in a division where every team lays down when they play them.. The Giants, Commanders, and Eagles will not lay down for us.

Just because fans and media were WRONG about a teams potential doesn't mean the year was a success because of the fans and medias expectations.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Love Dak. Love Zeke. Love Collins, Brown, Mayowa, and Irving. I love the future. But we didn't luck into 14-2. This is a good football team with unfinished business, and I doubt they're satisfied. Neither am I.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
This season will always be considered a success because we got Dak. The Cowboys have high standards and goals. After having no meaningful playoff success for the past 20 years I'd at least like to see the Cowboys finally play in an NFC championship game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's already been a great year with so much promise going forward!:flagwave:

But we HAVE won our last two home playoff games, so I'd think we need at least one playoff win...with two being a big break through.

The team came inches from going to the NFC Champ game two years ago and I think Zeke>Murray and this overall defense (with Lee, etc) > the 2014 version.
It can happen!

dallasdave

Reaction score
It's already been a great year with so much promise going forward!:flagwave:

But we HAVE won our last two home playoff games, so I'd think we need at least one playoff win...with two being a big break through.

The team came inches from going to the NFC Champ game two years ago and I think Zeke>Murray and this overall defense (with Lee, etc) > the 2014 version.
It can happen!
All the way, Dallas wins #6 this year.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
It has to be the Super Bowl any time you get the no. 1 seed. It's a rare opportunity. They may go 5-11 next year just because it's the NFL.
This.

Look at the Panthers. 15-1, made the Super Bowl and lost. Now they wont even make the playoffs. We need to seize this opportunity. You know the haters and wishing and praying we lose that first playoff game so they can say "same ol Cowboys"