What Constitutes A Successful Season?

dfense

Reaction score
Haha, so many posters are just happy the Cowboys have a successor at QB. Awesome low expectations guys. I guess years and years of it has made you numb to any real success.

The minute they put Romo on the shelf they should, and fans should be all in on expectations for this year. Not next year, or "seating up future runs" or "laying the ground work" crap.

Home field, heck, home state. They never have to travel out of state again this year to win the SB. They beat every team they faced except one. Contracts are coming due. Coaches will be pilfered. Division winning schedule next year. Windows are small and dont stay open for years.

This is the year. SB OR BUST.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
The present is a 13-3 record in a season that I thought was over before it started.

Seems you also think Sunday's game is over before it starts. Worse still, you've given the Eagles the W. C'mon man. Surely you've learned not to count our guys out by now? ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Haha, so many posters are just happy the Cowboys have a successor at QB. Awesome low expectations guys. I guess years and years of it has made you numb to any real success.

The minute they put Romo on the shelf they should, and fans should be all in on expectations for this year. Not next year, or "seating up future runs" or "laying the ground work" crap.

Home field, heck, home state. They never have to travel out of state again this year to win the SB. They beat every team they faced except one. Contracts are coming due. Coaches will be pilfered. Division winning schedule next year. Windows are small and dont stay open for years.

This is the year. SB OR BUST.

I want SB as much as the next guy and would be thrilled to see them come here to Houston and win it all. Should Dallas come up short will it be a disappointment? of course it would but it would not change the outlook that I see for this team. This is a young team still learning as they go and gives many Cowboys fans hope for not only this season but many more to come.

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
We've clinched HFA. Dak and Zeke have bright futures. With that said, there are no guarantees. It's possible ( Knock on wood it doesn't happen) we get beat in the firSt playoff game. It's possible we win the SB.

What constitutes success for you as a fan? Make it to the NFCCG at minimum? SB? Already a success? No matter what happens, do you foresee us being an elite team going forward?

At this point? Winning the Super Bowl. Windows have a way of closing faster than we like to think and we are well set up right now to run the table.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I look at the Cowboys this year and think it's clear the team is pointing up and if it doesn't all happen this year it will soon. But I look at the Broncos and Panthers this year and think when things are clicking during a season that may be your one chance.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It's tough to say. I grew up on Steinbrenner's Yankees and the power of the Cowboys where we didn't hang banners unless you won the World Series.

I still respect that to a degree and feel that is an appropriate standard to have for one's self or an organization. If you demand greatness and then expect greatness, you'll tend to do what it takes to be great.

However, 'success' and 'greatness' isn't the same thing. Perhaps I could consider a 'successful' season as a season where we improve upon the previous season. After a while, if you continue to improve you have nowhere else to go but to eventually become 'great' and win the Super Bowl. And once you win the Super Bowl, you can improve by beating teams by a wider margin.

I think that's what gets lost in all of the NFL...improvement and progression. When those things happen consistently, that's when you become a premier organization in this league.

YR

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems you also think Sunday's game is over before it starts. Worse still, you've given the Eagles the W. C'mon man. Surely you've learned not to count our guys out by now? ;)

For all intents and purposes, Sunday's game is "over before it starts".

This team has nothing to play for.

I'm not counting anybody out. But I'm also not placing any value whatsoever in winning or losing Sunday's meaningless game.

"C'mon man."

Is it more important to you to win or lose that game or to come out of it healthy and intact?

What is it exactly that you personally need out of Sunday's game?

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Time to change the narrative for the past 2 decades. Anything less than the super bowl will be a yuge disappointment.

This team feels different, and I fully expect them to be playing for the Lombardi trophy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I'm not counting anybody out. But I'm also not placing any value whatsoever in winning or losing Sunday's meaningless game.

"C'mon man."

Is it more important to you to win or lose that game or to come out of it healthy and intact?

For me I want the team to play good football not go out and play sloppy. As Dak and Elliott have pointed out it is not meaningless to them they want this team entering the playoffs operating as a well oiled machine and are practicing as such for this game.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

"C'mon man."

Dude, I was just playing with you. I don't need anything out of Sunday's game. But I'll be watching. So I'd prefer to see our guys trounce a hated rival. Just a preference. Not a need.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me I want the team to play good football not go out and play sloppy. As Dak and Elliott have pointed out it is not meaningless to them they want this team entering the playoffs operating as a well oiled machine and are practicing as such for this game.

I'm fine with them keeping the same preparation schedule, I think that's a smart move. I don't have a problem with them playing at all. But I think a half of football is more than sufficient. There's a much bigger picture here than Sunday's meaningless game.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We all want the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl, at least get there. Most would feel little disappointment at making it to the NFC championship game. All would be disappointed in losing the first playoff game in the divisional round. However, it's been a weird year, and if another team defeats us in the playoffs, I'll be disappointed, but also satisfied in what the team accomplished and the obstacles overcome this year.

Nothing at this point would make this season a failure or make me want major changes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, I was just playing with you. I don't need anything out of Sunday's game. But I'll be watching. So I'd prefer to see our guys trounce a hated rival. Just a preference. Not a need.

Fair enough. I guess it didn't translate in print. My bad.

I'll be watching too, but mostly hoping that nobody gets hurt. I'd like another win too, but more importantly, I'd like to come out of this meaningless game intact.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm fine with them keeping the same preparation schedule, I think that's a smart move. I don't have a problem with them playing at all. But I think a half of football is more than sufficient. There's a much bigger picture here than Sunday's meaningless game.

Well if they play half then I expect them to go out and be focused and produce. Playing half speed football and not focused will lead to injuries. I think they understand the bigger picture and are gearing up to take down Philly and head to post season playing great ball. When coaches pull them I expect this team to remain focused on what they are doing and playing to win. It seems to me the players are the ones saying this is not a meaningless game at least not in their mind

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess it didn't translate in print. My bad.

I'll be watching too, but mostly hoping that nobody gets hurt. I'd like another win too, but more importantly, I'd like to come out of this meaningless game intact.

If it didn't translate, it was my bad, not yours. I figured 13-3 was just a typo anyway. And you're right: coming out of a meaningless game with no serious injuries is the closest thing to a need that I have in relation to Sunday's game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas - The Dallas Cowboys season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles will not have any playoff implications. That is a factual statement.

But bringing in the term “meaningful” into the conversation is when you might start to get some resistance, especially from the Cowboys’ locker room.

Rookies Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott keep hearing the term “meaningless” and from their perspective, it doesn’t apply to Sunday’s game.

“No game is meaningless,” Prescott said. “There’s quality reps against a quality opponent that’s in our division that we’ll play for years to come that I’ll face off against. So any reps that I can get against a good team to make myself better to get some momentum going into the playoffs, I’ll take it.”

Momentum is a tricky thing to nail down, but Elliott doesn’t buy into the notion that their matchup with the Eagles won’t have some bearing on the Cowboys’ run at a Super Bowl.

“You guys say ‘meaningful games,’” Elliott said to the media. “Every game is meaningful. It may not matter if we win or lose, but it matters in the total grand scheme of things. We’re trying to stay sharp so we can go into these playoffs like a high-octane machine. We’re not looking at them as games that aren’t meaningful. Every game is meaningful.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...objection-calling-season-finale-‘meaningless’

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well if they play half then I expect them to go out and be focused and produce. Playing half speed football and not focused will lead to injuries. I think they understand the bigger picture and are gearing up to take down Philly and head to post season playing great ball. When coaches pull them I expect this team to remain focused on what they are doing and playing to win. It seems to me the players are the ones saying this is not a meaningless game at least not in their mind

I'm glad to hear them have that approach, I think it's very important. I wouldn't want to see anyone half-assing it or going through the motions. And I don't expect that to happen at all. But again, I'm not putting winning this game over coming out if it healthy either. It's a balance. If you're up by halftime and pull your starters? Consider it a win, just like a preseason game.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I totally agree! Why not Us? Why not now? I look around the NFL and don't see any superteams that Cowboys can't beat, contrary to all the talking heads. They already have the Pats penciled into the Superbowl. Wow :facepalm: As long as the Cowboys play THIER game and don't turn the ball over they'll compete with any team.

Good pic.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it didn't translate, it was my bad, not yours. I figured 13-3 was just a typo anyway.

D'oh! You're absolutely right, it was! I didn't even notice I did it until you pointed it out!

:banghead:

And you're right: coming out of a meaningless game with no serious injuries is the closest thing to a need that I have in relation to Sunday's game.

:thumbup::flagwave:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear them have that approach, I think it's very important. I wouldn't want to see anyone half-assing it or going through the motions. And I don't expect that to happen at all. But again, I'm not putting winning this game over coming out if it healthy either. It's a balance. If you're up by halftime and pull your starters? Consider it a win, just like a preseason game.
\
They players disagree with you. lol You can call it what you want they seem to have a different feeling about it. Win or lose will not change anything but these guys are out there to win period it means something to them regardless of out the outsiders may view it