What Constitutes A Successful Season?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Imagine if we add another speed receiver with hands, another stout offensive line man, draft a pass rusher and Bobby Humphreys (my pet player), get a healthy Jayson Smith back and a Dak Prescott with a year if NFL experience under his belt?:omg:

Fear will be an understatement.

Even if we add a top tier WR I don't think we could get them involved enough for it to make a difference.

Another WR is just a guy we let disappear while Witten and Beasley catch all the balls with Dez's occasional 50/50 ball.

IMO you try to improve the blocking with another TE or Tackle.. That's where you go with this offense. Help Zeke to get the edge on zone runs.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Sounds like hedging your bets.

No. Let's say you're the Cleveland Browns. Is it realistic for that team to think it will go to the Super Bowl next year? Realistically, no.
So what do you do? You create a plan for how you get better and you take encouragement from incremental successes, 6-10 next year, 9-7 the next then 11-5 the next until you're at a place where you can complete for a Super Bowl.
That is a plan of increment success.

When you understand that massive change does not occur overnight, then you can appreciate more the process of gradual, measured success. It's not just a principle in football but in life itself.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. Let's say you're the Cleveland Browns. Is it realistic for that team to think it will go to the Super Bowl next year? Realistically, no.
So what do you do? You create a plan for how you get better and you take encouragement from incremental successes, 6-10 next year, 9-7 the next then 11-5 the next until you're at a place where you can complete for a Super Bowl.

When you understand that massive change does not occur overnight, then you can appreciate more the process of gradual, measured success. It's not just a principle in football but in life itself.

Some obviously can't appreciate the process which is unfortunate for them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Some obviously can't appreciate the process which is unfortunate for them.

I've enjoyed the journey. But it's not enough.

Ask Tony Romo how his legacy looks based on all of his journeys and how they ended.

When you have a chance like we have anything short of a championship is a disappointment. I'm sure the players and coaches would tell you that.

For me personally we have to get to the Superbowl and create that opportunity.

Before the season I hoped that we would win the division but expectations have to change with more information.

I expected to be a top team last year but after we lost our 8th,9th,10, game my expectations certainly changed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

When you understand that massive change does not occur overnight, then you can appreciate more the process of gradual, measure success. It's not just a principle in football but in life itself.

I agree. There are different degrees of success and much of it has to do with where you are to start with. Next season if Cleveland goes 8-8 or 9-7 given where they have been over the last several years that is a big improvement and few would look at is as a failure of a season.

As for the Cowboys I think this season has been very successful, no one gave this group a snowballs chance in hell of doing what they have done thus far and being a young team it gives many of us hope for the future.

Of course if Cowboys lose in post season or even the SB I will not be happy that they lost it would hurt a lot to get to this point and not see them finish what they started, but I will not lose the optimism of this team’s future. Win or lose there is a lot to be encouraged about.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've enjoyed the journey. But it's not enough.

Ask Tony Romo how his legacy looks based on all of his journeys and how they ended.

When you have a chance like we have anything short of a championship is a disappointment. I'm sure the players and coaches would tell you that.

I think to classify a number of top QB's from Romo to Jim Kelley to Dan Fouts as "losers" because they did not win a SB seems wrong on so many levels.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think to classify a number of top QB's from Romo to Jim Kelley to Dan Fouts as "losers" because they did not win a SB seems wrong on so many levels.

You can believe that.. But it will be what holds Romo out of Canton.

Kelley got there 4 times. He'll get a lot of credit for that.

Romo never got to a NFC Championship and his legacy is ruined because of it. These games matter.

Enjoy the journey, it's been epic, but epic journeys need epic endings.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can believe that.. But it will be what holds Romo out of Canton.

Kelley got there 4 times. He'll get a lot of credit for that.

Romo never got to a NFC Championship and his legacy is ruined because of it. These games matter.

Enjoy the journey, it's been epic, but epic journeys need epic endings.

Well of course it counts some by winning a SB.

But truthfully what I think will hurt Romo as much as anything is the lack of longevity.

He's had 7 seasons where he was the full-time guy. I don't think that's enough when it comes to QB's.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I'm 40. I was a 18 year old freshmen in college the last time we won a SB. It has to happen this year. I believe Dak Prescott will make history.

I was a 16-year old sophomore in high school myself. I'm definitely starving for another Super Bowl.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Any season that ends without a Super Bowl victory is NOT a successful season. After all, that's what all 32 teams play for. (imo)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we're talking about a game not life, jesus christ.

Yep.

That's why your whole level of success definition is even more meaningless... because it's a game.

Hey if some of you want to boo-hoo if the Cowboys don't win the SB this season so be it.

I and several others will not be joining you.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We've clinched HFA. Dak and Zeke have bright futures. With that said, there are no guarantees. It's possible ( Knock on wood it doesn't happen) we get beat in the firSt playoff game. It's possible we win the SB.

What constitutes success for you as a fan? Make it to the NFCCG at minimum? SB? Already a success? No matter what happens, do you foresee us being an elite team going forward?
Make it to the NFCCG at minimum? yes this is the bare minimum and they must play good and lose a close game.

SB? This is what we all want, and I think this is the players goal, so they should at least get to the SB, I think this is really what I would call a success.
although the more I THINK about it, a SB win is the only way to end this season.

Already a success? yes but no, if they lose 1st playoff game it will be a big letdown.

No matter what happens, do you foresee us being an elite team going forward?
It looks like it, but anything can happen and it is hard to stay good.
The schedule for next year, we play a tough afc div, this year we won all 4 games, but that will be harder to do next year.
So elite maybe, but good and in playoffs is fairly sure deal.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Any season that ends without a Super Bowl victory is NOT a successful season. After all, that's what all 32 teams play for. (imo)
Well keep in mind we have not got past the div round in 20 years so if they do that , it is a small success.
Anytime a team gets into the playoffs, they have given the fans some extra excitement.
If they can win a game or 2 even better.
getting to nfc champ game for first time since what 1995? would be fun, and if they can win that even better.
Then being in the SB is a good thing, fans dis the teams that lose, but they did get there, and that is way better than not getting in the playoffs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lose their first playoff game would mean the season was a failure.

People can poo poo it all they want but 13 -3 or 14-2 is totally meaningless if you get bounced, at home, in your first playoff game.

The Cowboys are the favorite in the NFC. A NFC Title game appearance is a must, at a minimum, to view this season as a true success IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To my way of thinking, if we didn't win another game, it would already be a successful season. Sure, it would be nice to win playoff games and a championship if we were so lucky but, honestly, we have found a future QB, we have gotten back on the right track as a franchise and we are in good shape to compete for championships for the next 10 years.

Our future has not been so bright in 25 years. If this is all we accomplish, thats a lot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This season has been very successful so far, a division title and the #1 seed but if we don't reach the SB it will end up being a disappointing season for many Cowboys fans because the success we've had has increased expectations. When you win at least 13 games and are tied for the best record in the league it's SB or bust.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How successful fans ultimately view this season may depend a lot on the next few seasons. I know that for me the 2007 season felt a lot more successful at the time than it did years later.
This exactly. If we lose early on in the playoffs, we wont know for a few more years whether or not this year was a successful season. If we lose this year but build on its progress in future years, then and only then would 2016 have been a successful season. If we lose this year and go 5-11 the next 5 years then 2016 would have been a wasteful season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Even if we add a top tier WR I don't think we could get them involved enough for it to make a difference.

Another WR is just a guy we let disappear while Witten and Beasley catch all the balls with Dez's occasional 50/50 ball.

IMO you try to improve the blocking with another TE or Tackle.. That's where you go with this offense. Help Zeke to get the edge on zone runs.

Fair enough. I should have said I'm taking into account that Witten may retire if we win a Super Bowl and that he has only a few years left if we don't win this year. I do think, however, he rides away on top if we win this year.