What could Gailey and Campo do with a team like this?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2408799 said:
Switzer won with Jimmie's players, he barely held that team together, we were very lucky to have won that SB with him.

I don't think Switzer was a great coach by any stretch of the imagination.

But I will say, after seeing what happened at the end of last year..and seeing what is going on this year, I now give him more credit than I did in the past.

He inherited a great roster...but at least he DID win with it.

So far, Phillips has inherited a very good roster...and done nothing with it.

I guess there is value in being a coach who simply doesn't screw things up.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Ironically, that does pose a good question. They were mustering 5 wins with a bunch of players who were practically falling over one another,, and Wade is going to have a tough time with 10- getting that out of 13 Pro Bowlers.

At the moment I would lump Wade with Barry- both knowing how to get nothing close to the best out of practically the best squad in the league at each respective time.

Sad. At the moment I think I would take either Campo or Gailey over Wade.

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
If you can tell me how Wade SCREWED this team up, BY ALL MEANS, GO FOR IT.

It's not like he's coachign bad, making bad decisions by going for it on 4th down in his own territory, or by screwing up clock management, the COACH isn't the problem.
Nothing wrong with a laid back NOT in your face rah rah coach, was Landry a RAH RAH coach?? He certainly was great, no?

He went 13-3 while Parcells couldn't sniff the playoffs with same team, and this year the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi as head coach and Belichick as our defensive coordinator wouldn't get us a much better record then 5-4 at this point anyway.

- injury stuff snipped -

So, like I said, if we go 6-1 and look like wolrd beaters each week once we get everyone healthy after the bye week, will ANYONE give Wade any credit for that?
I mean, if your'e gonna bust his balls for having to try and win games with Brad Johnson (fact that he won ONE GAME with im is a miracle in itself) and bust his balls for having a winning record despite the fact of all the injuries, if he goes 6-1 the restof the season, you have to give him mass props, NO?

If you think a Vince Lombardi team would ever play as gutless as this Cowboys team has played at time, you're insane.

The defense, Wade's specialty, is the real problem with this team. Too often, they cannot get off the field- whether on third down or via the turnover. They couldn't stop THE RAMS, DUDE, who stomped them into the ground.

They still make dumb mistakes on offense and defense. The OL can't block anyone. The DL can't stop the run- no one's injured there. Special teams have been horrible.

Wade's not a bad coach, he's just not very good. He's got 13 Pro Bowlers from last year and despite his bye week win in the playoffs last year, has yet to prove that this team will play as a team rather than a bunch of talented players.

Yeah, if the Cowboys finish 6-1 and win a playoff game, Wade should get huge props and be back in 2010. If he doesn't, this team has too much talent to wait around on Wade to do what he's never been able to do before- win in the playoffs.

morieeel

Reaction score
From what I remember Campo's game management was horrid. Think Rommeo Crenell.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Alexander;2408533 said:
IPhillips dips below Gailey if he fails to make the playoffs with a team this talented. I do not care what last year's gaudy record states. Gailey achieved the postseason both years with some pretty basic talent.

Say what?

That team was on the downslide, to be sure. But a team with five Hall of Famers (Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Allen, Sanders) plus guys like Johnston, Lett, Erik Williams and Woodson were "basic talent"?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2408827 said:
Say what?

That team was on the downslide, to be sure. But a team with five Hall of Famers (Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Allen, Sanders) plus guys like Johnston, Lett, Erik Williams and Woodson were "basic talent"?

That same team managed to go 6-10 under Switzer the year before.

I think those guys quickly became dinged and lost their edge right around the time Galley showed up.

cml750

Reaction score
Nors;2408575 said:
Campo and Gailey never did anything

Switzer is the most underrated coach we EVER had

Agreed, and Tuna is the most OVERRATED coach we ever had.

Dodger12

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:

This team is soft and undiciplined, made up of a bunch of underachieving individuals with no concept of team. They have taken on the persona of their family friendly coach. The family atmosphere is great when players are truly held accountable. Who has been benched or subbed for their poor play?

ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
He went 13-3 while Parcells couldn't sniff the playoffs with same team, and this year the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi as head coach and Belichick as our defensive coordinator wouldn't get us a much better record then 5-4 at this point anyway.

Parcells did sniff the playoffs with a less talented roster and a QB who's not even in the NFL any longer. Wade's got the talent but his team is still in a state of dissaray. And I firmly believe that we'd be better than 5 and 4 if we had a coach with any sort of backbone to lead this team.

ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
It's called injuries, KEY INJURIES!
The fact we have a winning record right now is amazing with all our key injuries.
You take away Brian Westbrook, Donavan McNabb, and 3/4 of the Eagles starting secondary and you think they would be BETTER then 5-4 right now????

You take away El Manning, Brandon Jacobs, and 3/4 of the Giants secondary you think the Giants would be BETTER then 5-4????

Think of AJ Feeley and Jeff Garcia. They both replaced an injured McNabb at crucial points int he season. These teams didn't tank. On the contrary, they rallied and got better in the face of adversity, even making the playoffs. Did the Patriots fold because Brady went down, or is Cassel at least serviceable enough and Bellicheat good enough to have them at 5 and 3? Absolutely lame argument.

ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
what is gonna happen if we go 6-1 and kick ace the rest of the year when healthy, did Wade suddenly learn how to coach again, would he UNSUCK at that point?

I'd say we dodged a huge bullet and we need to make changes before we run into the same problems next year.

ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
So cut the head coach some slack, he's not as bad as you guys think, he's nohe greatest coach, but he certainly doesn't completely suck, he is the same coach who most of us got excited when he 1st came here and if I remember clearly, when we went 13-3 most of you guys were saying how BILL PARCELLS was the problem and Wade is doing a better job coaching, too funny.

Most of us didn't get excited about the possibility of Wade as HC. We only came to accept it as the lesser of two evils when it came down to Wade and Norv. Wade has never won anything as a HC; not a playoff game and certainly not a Super Bowl. So lets give this whole Wade is a great head coach thing a rest. It gets real old. His track record speaks for itself. He's a good DC and lousy HC who couldn't win with one HOF QB in Elway and might not be able to do the same with Pro Bowl QB in Romo.

ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
So, like I said, if we go 6-1 and look like wolrd beaters each week once we get everyone healthy after the bye week, will ANYONE give Wade any credit for that?

I mean, if your'e gonna bust his balls for having to try and win games with Brad Johnson (fact that he won ONE GAME with im is a miracle in itself) and bust his balls for having a winning record despite the fact of all the injuries, if he goes 6-1 the restof the season, you have to give him mass props, NO?

No offense, but what an absolute crock of bull. I'm going to bust his balls not just for trying to win with Brad Johnson, but having Brad Johnson as the backup to begin with. You'd think a coah as great as you make him out to be with over 30 years of coaching experience, to go along with a GM that fancies himself as a football guy, could see that Brad was over the hill, something that the most laymen football fans saw every time Brad touched the ball in pre-season. Hell, his nickname on the team is "Check Down" Johnson. It might be funny to some but it's sad to me. So sorry if I don't empathize with Wade trying to win with Brad. I'm too pissed that he had him here in the first place.

Decleater101

Reaction score
Nors;2408575 said:
Switzer is the most underrated coach we EVER had

Just for the record, since obviously some people will not recognize the sarcasm here and think you actually BELIEVE this, I would have to put Gailey and Campo ahead of Switzer simply because Jerry had begun to see the lite a tiny bit by the time we got to Gailey/Campo. He let them make a FEW non-priority decisions just to make them feel needed.

When Switzer was hired, Jerry knew what he was getting. Basically just a figurehead. Jerry had everything in place like he wanted, had watched Jimmy a while and decided "I can do this", and told Switzer to just "sit down, shut up, don't touch anything, and enjoy the ride". Even at that, Switzer almost blew it up before that last ring came along.

Switzer did the best he could and was a hard worker, but as an NFL head coach he was barely more than a bumbling buffoon who agreed to be a "yes" man for Jerry Jones.

:mad:

BigR

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:

It's not like he's coachign bad, making bad decisions by going for it on 4th down in his own territory, or by screwing up clock management, the COACH isn't the problem.
Nothing wrong with a laid back NOT in your face rah rah coach, was Landry a RAH RAH coach?? He certainly was great, no?

The fact we have a winning record right now is amazing with all our key injuries.
You take away Brian Westbrook, Donavan McNabb, and 3/4 of the Eagles starting secondary and you think they would be BETTER then 5-4 right now????

You take away El Manning, Brandon Jacobs, and 3/4 of the Giants secondary you think the Giants would be BETTER then 5-4????

But somehow we can lose Romo/Felix/ 3/4 of our secondary, Kosier, Spencer, Pacman, our punter, and we are supposed to be BETTER then 5-4 right now??

It's like the Joe Torre syndrome, everyone in Ney York thought he SUCKED as a head coach, which he sort of did before he came to the Yankees, the Yanks then had all the talent int he world and Joe Torre was known as the greatest manager, fast foward to when his guys got olded he lost some in free agency, and the alent depleted, he got fired and everyone said he sucked as a head coach again.
It's the PLAYERS that make the team, ask the 95' cowboys if it's the caliber of players or the coachign staff that made them win games.

FACT IS, when healthy Wade made this team go 13-3, now when a TON and I mean a TON of key injuries hit, he all of a sudden SUCKS AGAIN, what is gonna happen if we go 6-1 and kick ace the rest of the year when healthy, did Wade suddenly learn how to coach again, would he UNSUCK at that point?
Or could it all be contributed to the injuries this team has had thus far?

I don't think Wade is a great coach, but he doesn't suck nearly as much as everyone thinks he doesn, Last I looked, Wade can't play C.B., Wade can't rush the passer, Wade can't protect the Q.B., Wade can't run the ball or catch a pass or not FUMBLE the ball, and Wade certainly can not play Q.B., and neither could Brad Johnson.

So cut the head coach some slack, he's not as bad as you guys think, he's nohe greatest coach, but he certainly doesn't completely suck, he is the same coach who most of us got excited when he 1st came here and if I remember clearly, when we went 13-3 most of you guys were saying how BILL PARCELLS was the problem and Wade is doing a better job coaching, too funny.

glad to see bum is sticking up for his kid

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
If Gailey had gotten Aikman, Irvin and Smith to buy into him, he would have been a good Head Coach. But since they didn't buy into his plan, they helped his coaching demise. Wade has all the talent in the world, yet is unable to stop the bleeding and seems really unsure how to proceed forward on many occassions. That is Wade's problem, he is afraid of criticism that comes with the second guessing Dallas media. In order to be the head coach of the Cowboys, you need skin like a rhino and a set of stones like Jimmy Johnson. Wade has neither because he is too afraid to take the team by the throat and say this is the way we will do it. It is this indecision that the team can sense and don't feel it necessary to give 110% in every game....

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:

But somehow we can lose Romo/Felix/ 3/4 of our secondary, Kosier, Spencer, Pacman, our punter, and we are supposed to be BETTER then 5-4 right now??

It's like the Joe Torre syndrome, everyone in Ney York thought he SUCKED as a head coach, which he sort of did before he came to the Yankees, the Yanks then had all the talent int he world and Joe Torre was known as the greatest manager, fast foward to when his guys got olded he lost some in free agency, and the alent depleted, he got fired and everyone said he sucked as a head coach again.
It's the PLAYERS that make the team, ask the 95' cowboys if it's the caliber of players or the coachign staff that made them win games.

FACT IS, when healthy Wade made this team go 13-3, now when a TON and I mean a TON of key injuries hit, he all of a sudden SUCKS AGAIN, what is gonna happen if we go 6-1 and kick ace the rest of the year when healthy, did Wade suddenly learn how to coach again, would he UNSUCK at that point?
Or could it all be contributed to the injuries this team has had thus far?

I don't think Wade is a great coach, but he doesn't suck nearly as much as everyone thinks he doesn, Last I looked, Wade can't play C.B., Wade can't rush the passer, Wade can't protect the Q.B., Wade can't run the ball or catch a pass or not FUMBLE the ball, and Wade certainly can not play Q.B., and neither could Brad Johnson.

The same injuries must follow him every team he is the HC of then.
Losing teams is what he has always done.:eek:

jimmy40

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2408799 said:
Switzer won with Jimmie's players, he barely held that team together, we were very lucky to have won that SB with him.
Thank you Neil O'Donnell.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99;2408813 said:

But I will say, after seeing what happened at the end of last year..and seeing what is going on this year, I now give him more credit than I did in the past.

Switzer won a SB and ironically is the type coach the masses are calling for

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Dave Campo is the worst coach in cowboys history hands down.

The man was an insult as a head coach.

And fwiw he should not be here now either.

jimmy40

Reaction score
theebs;2409706 said:
Dave Campo is the worst coach in cowboys history hands down.

The man was an insult as a head coach.

And fwiw he should not be here now either.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

How anyone could not agree with this just blows my mind.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
our downfall started with the joey galloway trade.

it all went to **** after that doozy.

the draft picks we picked after that for the next few years haunts me to no end.

tony dixon
quincy carter

i'll stop now...i'm feeling sick.

gailey was the best coach we've had since jimmy.

unfortunately our team was getting old and banged up by then.

i like that head coach for the cardinals. i still want mariucci to be our next coach.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Campo is still the worst, by far, but part of his problems was definately having pretty much no talent cause of the cap problems we were under at the time.

I never cared much for Gailey, despite getting to the playoffs a couple of times with him but I think Switzer DEFINATELY was better than BP. I know BP would get my nod for turning the team around, and adding more talent, but while Barry didn't add any talent, other than Larry Allen, he also did enough not to screw up a good thing too badly and got us to two NFC Championship games, won a superbowl, and had another playoff win in 96. So I'd have him over BP, for sure.

1. Landry
2. Jimmy
3. Barry
4. BP
5. Wade
6. Chan
7. Campo

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Juke99;2408813 said:

In physical attributes only. Mentally, my 6 year old could out-stare them.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408812 said:
And you call yourself a cowboys fan, COME ON, everyone knows that's the old JOKE, but couldn't be further from the truth, Jerry is busy opening a new stadium, making deals with the Yankees, etc., and has NEVER called one play on offense or defense, NEVER told the caoch ANY COACH to go for it on 4th down, Jerry WATCHES the game, does not get involved in game plans, play calling, ANYTHING, etc., for any REAL Cowboys fan to still think that he is giving his coach instructions is ******** if you ask me.

Hey. Mr. "That's my QB". Please explain why Jerry let's Tony Romo ride the pine while we anguished thru 4 QB's. Jerry "The GM" not Jerry form the cartoon.

***Cartoon reference needed for verification of ensuing response***