What could Gailey and Campo do with a team like this?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
Nothing wrong with a laid back NOT in your face rah rah coach, was Landry a RAH RAH coach?? He certainly was great, no?

Landry was not a cheerleader. But his gameplans were impeccable and he usually made smart decisions with personnel and how he handled the available talent.

We cannot assume Wade Phillips has done the same. It is also important to note that Landry, while not a cheerleader, wasn't loved by everyone but he was no doubt respected. Can we say the same about Phillips? I think he's the opposite. I think he's lovable and a great person, but hardly someone that commands respect, especially at the level Landry did.

He went 13-3 while Parcells couldn't sniff the playoffs with same team, and this year the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi as head coach and Belichick as our defensive coordinator wouldn't get us a much better record then 5-4 at this point anyway.

I disagree. A better handling of the backup QB situation and a defense that was better prepared and coached could have stolen us a win or two rather easily. Phillips was able to coax Tampa, but the Rams game was inexcusable, no matter who was playing. I won't even mention the fact Phillips had his own challenges with this team even before the rash of injuries.

It's the PLAYERS that make the team, ask the 95' cowboys if it's the caliber of players or the coachign staff that made them win games.

Fair enough. So we have the wrong players then. So why are we struggling with an embarassing number of Pro Bowlers still playing?

FACT IS, when healthy Wade made this team go 13-3, now when a TON and I mean a TON of key injuries hit, he all of a sudden SUCKS AGAIN, what is gonna happen if we go 6-1 and kick ace the rest of the year when healthy, did Wade suddenly learn how to coach again, would he UNSUCK at that point?

Actually the fact is simply that last year was a mirage. It was a combination of health and good fortune that brought just three losses. We all need to quit repeating the same tired Phillips mantra that suggests we achieved something great. It was a paper season. Hardly anything that indicates he's doing a smash up job. If he was, we would not have bene outcoached by a Giants team that wanted it more.

I don't think Wade is a great coach, but he doesn't suck nearly as much as everyone thinks he doesn, Last I looked, Wade can't play C.B., Wade can't rush the passer, Wade can't protect the Q.B., Wade can't run the ball or catch a pass or not FUMBLE the ball, and Wade certainly can not play Q.B., and neither could Brad Johnson.

Wade Phillips CAN control the mental preparation of this team. He can influence their enthusiasm and he can influence the team by making clear cut and concise decisions. A great coach also pushes the right buttons with the players.

So cut the head coach some slack, he's not as bad as you guys think, he's nohe greatest coach, but he certainly doesn't completely suck, he is the same coach who most of us got excited when he 1st came here and if I remember clearly, when we went 13-3 most of you guys were saying how BILL PARCELLS was the problem and Wade is doing a better job coaching, too funny.

Speak for yourself. Wade Phillips was hardly exciting as a head coach candidate. He was no better than Norv Turner, who also is suffering from the same sort of issues with the Chargers. Neither would have been optimal and despite what many of you think, neither are at the level that Coach Parcells was.

I mean, if your'e gonna bust his balls for having to try and win games with Brad Johnson (fact that he won ONE GAME with im is a miracle in itself) and bust his balls for having a winning record despite the fact of all the injuries, if he goes 6-1 the restof the season, you have to give him mass props, NO?

I guarantee you we don't go 6-1 with Wade Phillips at the helm the rest of this season.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2409548 said:
If Gailey had gotten Aikman, Irvin and Smith to buy into him, he would have been a good Head Coach.

I think there's more misconceptions about Gailey than any other coach in Cowboys history. For one, I think he's the only one who had enough to stand up to Jerry and that is what cost him his job. At the end, it was his refusal to go with Jerry's demand that he hire an offensive coordinator that got him canned.

I also think Emmitt had bought into Gailey just fine, since he was featured in his offense and had the last 2 best years of his career under him. Irvin likely was a little shell-shocked his first season when he went a game without catching a pass and also lined up in the backfield from time to time, but I think he was all in with Gailey's system in '99 when he saw what having Raghib Ismail on the opposite side of him could do those first 4 games. Aikman even seemed okay with things in '98, and then I think got incredibly frustrated in '99, although I think he never lent enough weight to the fact that we were down to our 4th and 5th string receivers as starters toward the end.

The reality is that the '99 team could have gone deep into the playoffs (although the road would've likely ended in St. Louis in the NFC Championship against Warner and Co. that year) had it not been for not only Irvin's catastrophic injury, but the subsequent ones to Mills and McGarity, not to mention James McKnight shredding his knee in the first intrasquad scrimmage that summer. When you have to operate with Chris Brazzell, Jason Tucker, and a way past-his-prime Alvin Harper for the second half of the season, along with a miscast Ismail as your No. 1 guy, you're toast as an offense.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
jcblanco22;2410554 said:
I think there's more misconceptions about Gailey than any other coach in Cowboys history. For one, I think he's the only one who had enough to stand up to Jerry and that is what cost him his job. At the end, it was his refusal to go with Jerry's demand that he hire an offensive coordinator that got him canned.

I also think Emmitt had bought into Gailey just fine, since he was featured in his offense and had the last 2 best years of his career under him. Irvin likely was a little shell-shocked his first season when he went a game without catching a pass and also lined up in the backfield from time to time, but I think he was all in with Gailey's system in '99 when he saw what having Raghib Ismail on the opposite side of him could do those first 4 games. Aikman even seemed okay with things in '98, and then I think got incredibly frustrated in '99, although I think he never lent enough weight to the fact that we were down to our 4th and 5th string receivers as starters toward the end.

The reality is that the '99 team could have gone deep into the playoffs (although the road would've likely ended in St. Louis in the NFC Championship against Warner and Co. that year) had it not been for not only Irvin's catastrophic injury, but the subsequent ones to Mills and McGarity, not to mention James McKnight shredding his knee in the first intrasquad scrimmage that summer. When you have to operate with Chris Brazzell, Jason Tucker, and a way past-his-prime Alvin Harper for the second half of the season, along with a miscast Ismail as your No. 1 guy, you're toast as an offense.

Well said. :bow:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jcblanco22;2410554 said:
When you have to operate with Chris Brazzell, Jason Tucker, and a way past-his-prime Alvin Harper for the second half of the season, along with a miscast Ismail as your No. 1 guy, you're toast as an offense.

I remember we had Patrick Jeffers that was doing very well with Aikman then as well.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
jcblanco22;2410561 said:
How'd I know you'd jump in here? :laugh2: Hope you are well Chief.

I was too lazy to write all that, so I was waiting for you to do it.

Then, I could just say good job.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Alexander;2410563 said:
I remember we had Patrick Jeffers that was doing very well with Aikman then as well.

Unfortunately we had released Jeffers after '98 and he was in Carolina, having a career year, in '99. Irvin, Ismail, McKnight, Mills, and Jeffers would've been a nice counterpunch to Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl, and Tony Horne in '99 in the NFC.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Chief;2410566 said:
I was too lazy to write all that, so I was waiting for you to do it.

Then, I could just say good job.

:laugh2: Never get tired of standing up for Chan, he gets lumped in with some baaad company in Cowboys coaching history way too often. :(

jcblanco22

Reaction score
To answer the original question of this thread as it pertains to Gailey, I think he would have done a superior job with this club, to the tune of a 12-4 type of record.

For one thing, he doesn't get enough credit as a disciplinarian. He was certainly no Wade Phillips in terms of a lovey-dovey relationship with his players. If anything, he was described as being a tad on the cold and detached side with his guys during his time here, although that may have changed over his time with the younger guys at Georgia Tech.

He instituted the extra laps at practice for the pre-snap penalty perpetrators, which seemed to work well in '98, at least better than having them sign a pledge. He also supposedly had a sit-down with Nate Newton in the spring of '98 and told him he had to drop about 90 pounds to play offensive line for him, and big Nate got all the way down to an unrecognizable 290 that summer before bulking back up to about 310.

I think he would do wonders with this offense and if he actually had Garrett here, they would be running it together. Garrett was his back-up QB for those 2 seasons and actually went 3-2 as a starter in Chan's system filling for Aikman in '98 (and both losses only came by 1 point each), so I think they would likely work well together. If Gailey was able to help Kordell Stewart to the best year of his professional career by far in Pittsburgh with guys like Thigpen, Hastings, Mills, and Will Blackwell as his receivers, imagine what he would do with the caliber of players of Romo, Owens, Williams, Crayton, and Austin! I'm sure he'd have plenty of creative ways to use Felix also, and Witten would be by far the best receiving tight end he ever coached before this season (Tony Gonzalez in KC). Again, if he was able to get LaFleur to his best year under him, I would imagine he'd have no problem getting Witten the ball plenty.

I also think that while we'd see Barber plenty in the backfield, we'd also see a lot of Tashard Choice, his feature back at Georgia Tech the last couple of years of his coaching tenure there.

Anyone who labels him as an ultra-conservative offensive coach, as he's been pegged as in the past, should look at what he did back in Pittsburgh with the 5 wide receiver sets as well as what he's got Tyler Thigpen and the KC offense doing the last few weeks. I'm sure even Tony Gonzalez, who was certainly grousing earlier this season, is now a "believer", especially after his day yesterday.

Here's a telling excerpt from Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock's column this morning (www.kansascitystar.com):

Offensively, Kansas City’s playmakers — Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez, Mark Bradley and Chan Gailey — made plays.

Yes, I put offensive coordinator Chan Gailey in the same classification as KC’s receivers. Gailey’s a playmaker. His spread offense is the innovation of the season. More than a quarterback, the Chiefs have discovered a style of play since losing Brodie Croyle to an injury and Larry Johnson to thuggery.

Bowe, Gonzalez, Bradley and the spread should be a permanent part of Kansas City’s offensive philosophy. When/if Larry Johnson returns, he’ll need to make far more adjustments than KC’s playbook. Obviously he can no longer be the centerpiece of the Chiefs’ offense.

Gonzalez (10 catches, 113 yards and two TDs), Bradley (nine for 81 yards and a TD) and Bowe (six for 72) key the Chiefs’ offense this season and next.

The last three weeks make me wonder how much of a role Johnson’s poor attitude and big contract played in Kansas City’s horrific start to the season. What we’ve witnessed since his absence is a clear case of addition by subtraction. With Johnson out of the lineup, Gailey was free to use his full imagination in reshaping Kansas City’s strategy. With Johnson either out of the locker room or demoted to scout team, it’s clear, too, that Herm has the attention of his young team.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408810 said:
If you can tell me how Wade SCREWED this team up, BY ALL MEANS, GO FOR IT.

It's not like he's coachign bad, making bad decisions by going for it on 4th down in his own territory, or by screwing up clock management, the COACH isn't the problem.
Nothing wrong with a laid back NOT in your face rah rah coach, was Landry a RAH RAH coach?? He certainly was great, no?

He went 13-3 while Parcells couldn't sniff the playoffs with same team, and this year the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi as head coach and Belichick as our defensive coordinator wouldn't get us a much better record then 5-4 at this point anyway.

It's called injuries, KEY INJURIES!
The fact we have a winning record right now is amazing with all our key injuries.
You take away Brian Westbrook, Donavan McNabb, and 3/4 of the Eagles starting secondary and you think they would be BETTER then 5-4 right now????

You take away El Manning, Brandon Jacobs, and 3/4 of the Giants secondary you think the Giants would be BETTER then 5-4????

But somehow we can lose Romo/Felix/ 3/4 of our secondary, Kosier, Spencer, Pacman, our punter, and we are supposed to be BETTER then 5-4 right now??

It's like the Joe Torre syndrome, everyone in Ney York thought he SUCKED as a head coach, which he sort of did before he came to the Yankees, the Yanks then had all the talent int he world and Joe Torre was known as the greatest manager, fast foward to when his guys got olded he lost some in free agency, and the alent depleted, he got fired and everyone said he sucked as a head coach again.
It's the PLAYERS that make the team, ask the 95' cowboys if it's the caliber of players or the coachign staff that made them win games.

FACT IS, when healthy Wade made this team go 13-3, now when a TON and I mean a TON of key injuries hit, he all of a sudden SUCKS AGAIN, what is gonna happen if we go 6-1 and kick ace the rest of the year when healthy, did Wade suddenly learn how to coach again, would he UNSUCK at that point?
Or could it all be contributed to the injuries this team has had thus far?

I don't think Wade is a great coach, but he doesn't suck nearly as much as everyone thinks he doesn, Last I looked, Wade can't play C.B., Wade can't rush the passer, Wade can't protect the Q.B., Wade can't run the ball or catch a pass or not FUMBLE the ball, and Wade certainly can not play Q.B., and neither could Brad Johnson.

So cut the head coach some slack, he's not as bad as you guys think, he's nohe greatest coach, but he certainly doesn't completely suck, he is the same coach who most of us got excited when he 1st came here and if I remember clearly, when we went 13-3 most of you guys were saying how BILL PARCELLS was the problem and Wade is doing a better job coaching, too funny.

So, like I said, if we go 6-1 and look like wolrd beaters each week once we get everyone healthy after the bye week, will ANYONE give Wade any credit for that?
I mean, if your'e gonna bust his balls for having to try and win games with Brad Johnson (fact that he won ONE GAME with im is a miracle in itself) and bust his balls for having a winning record despite the fact of all the injuries, if he goes 6-1 the restof the season, you have to give him mass props, NO?

:lmao2:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2408812 said:
And you call yourself a cowboys fan, COME ON, everyone knows that's the old JOKE, but couldn't be further from the truth, Jerry is busy opening a new stadium, making deals with the Yankees, etc., and has NEVER called one play on offense or defense, NEVER told the caoch ANY COACH to go for it on 4th down, Jerry WATCHES the game, does not get involved in game plans, play calling, ANYTHING, etc., for any REAL Cowboys fan to still think that he is giving his coach instructions is ******** if you ask me.

:lmao2:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dodger12;2408888 said:
This team is soft and undiciplined, made up of a bunch of underachieving individuals with no concept of team. They have taken on the persona of their family friendly coach. The family atmosphere is great when players are truly held accountable. Who has been benched or subbed for their poor play?

Parcells did sniff the playoffs with a less talented roster and a QB who's not even in the NFL any longer. Wade's got the talent but his team is still in a state of dissaray. And I firmly believe that we'd be better than 5 and 4 if we had a coach with any sort of backbone to lead this team.

Think of AJ Feeley and Jeff Garcia. They both replaced an injured McNabb at crucial points int he season. These teams didn't tank. On the contrary, they rallied and got better in the face of adversity, even making the playoffs. Did the Patriots fold because Brady went down, or is Cassel at least serviceable enough and Bellicheat good enough to have them at 5 and 3? Absolutely lame argument.

I'd say we dodged a huge bullet and we need to make changes before we run into the same problems next year.

Most of us didn't get excited about the possibility of Wade as HC. We only came to accept it as the lesser of two evils when it came down to Wade and Norv. Wade has never won anything as a HC; not a playoff game and certainly not a Super Bowl. So lets give this whole Wade is a great head coach thing a rest. It gets real old. His track record speaks for itself. He's a good DC and lousy HC who couldn't win with one HOF QB in Elway and might not be able to do the same with Pro Bowl QB in Romo.

No offense, but what an absolute crock of bull. I'm going to bust his balls not just for trying to win with Brad Johnson, but having Brad Johnson as the backup to begin with. You'd think a coah as great as you make him out to be with over 30 years of coaching experience, to go along with a GM that fancies himself as a football guy, could see that Brad was over the hill, something that the most laymen football fans saw every time Brad touched the ball in pre-season. Hell, his nickname on the team is "Check Down" Johnson. It might be funny to some but it's sad to me. So sorry if I don't empathize with Wade trying to win with Brad. I'm too pissed that he had him here in the first place.

Couldn't have said it better myself, my boy. I'm gonna keep my eye on you.
I would have responded to that'smyQB but. boy howdy I was laughing so hard I could not respond at the moment.

And could someone give the memo to Bilicheat and Fisher in Tennessee that they are supposed to tank when their No. 1 QB is out?
Bilicheat and Fisher don't know enough to lay down like Wade and feel sorry for themselves.

In the final urinalysis, Wade would be a GREAT pee-wee league coach, beloved by all.
But in the NFL, it takes guts. Wade, you just don't measure up. Even for the CFL.
Go away. Look what you've done to my once-proud team. You've turned them into whiners, babies, selfish millionaires who believe they are great because you keep telling them.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Alexander;2410548 said:
Landry was not a cheerleader. But his gameplans were impeccable and he usually made smart decisions with personnel and how he handled the available talent.

After I got past this paragraph i agreed with 99% of what you wrote.
Until I read "landry's Boys' I had always believed that landry was the genus behind the smart drafts.
Turns out that Gil Brandt orchestrated the personnel moves and Landry signed off on them.
when the rest of the league caught up with the Cowboys as far as computers, scout teams and trade manipulations, the Cowboys began to see lots more parity out there. then Brandt went into senior citizen days and his picks were mostly bad to average.

Also, my granddaddy tolt me about Landry's indecision involving Morton/Staubach and how he stubbornly refused to let (with rare exception) rookies play. Even after a couple of years on the bench.

Well, ah loved your overall respond but could not help but respond to Landry's supposed personnel genus.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
jcblanco22;2410584 said:
Here's a telling excerpt from Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock's column this morning (www.kansascitystar.com):

Offensively, Kansas City’s playmakers — Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez, Mark Bradley and Chan Gailey — made plays.

Yes, I put offensive coordinator Chan Gailey in the same classification as KC’s receivers. Gailey’s a playmaker. His spread offense is the innovation of the season. More than a quarterback, the Chiefs have discovered a style of play since losing Brodie Croyle to an injury and Larry Johnson to thuggery.

Bowe, Gonzalez, Bradley and the spread should be a permanent part of Kansas City’s offensive philosophy. When/if Larry Johnson returns, he’ll need to make far more adjustments than KC’s playbook. Obviously he can no longer be the centerpiece of the Chiefs’ offense.

Gonzalez (10 catches, 113 yards and two TDs), Bradley (nine for 81 yards and a TD) and Bowe (six for 72) key the Chiefs’ offense this season and next.

The last three weeks make me wonder how much of a role Johnson’s poor attitude and big contract played in Kansas City’s horrific start to the season. What we’ve witnessed since his absence is a clear case of addition by subtraction. With Johnson out of the lineup, Gailey was free to use his full imagination in reshaping Kansas City’s strategy. With Johnson either out of the locker room or demoted to scout team, it’s clear, too, that Herm has the attention of his young team.

Interesting stuff from Whitlock.

I wonder what Garrett could do with the personnel Kansas City now has.