What could we get for Lawrence and Cooper?

Wood

Reaction score
Problem: Lawrence is injured and wants a huge contract, Gregory probably isn't back this year, and now Crawford has issues. DE is looking bad for us, with a great dline draft.

Solution?: Flip Cooper. Trade Lawrence. Use picks for the dline. Free up 40mil per year.

Question: Could we get a 1st out of each? Maybe a 1st plus?

We gave up a first for Cooper. And I think he's exceeded expectations. Shouldn't he be worth more now?

If you thought that giving up a 1st for Cooper was a good deal for us last year, shouldn't it be an even better deal now for the team we trade Cooper to?

And for Lawrence, wasn't he considered in the top few free agents in the league? I'd expect that to net more than Cooper.

*If* you think the Cooper deal was good for us, shouldn't we get two 1sts plus out of trading Cooper and Lawrence?

I'd be happy with that with a dline heavy draft to build with.

two core pieces who are not old. It would take a haul for me to even consider. Would need 1st rounder + starting player for EACH.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Okay, we will make the cutoff 26 - that makes it 2 games of 26 or more before Cooper and 5 games after Cooper. It’s still lopsided, and the better yardage numbers and QB ratings still apply after Cooper.

And the reality is, stats mean nothing if people don’t bother to know what goes into them and how they can be skewed, and therefore they allow one abnormally good or bad game to make things appear differently than what was normal in all the rest of the games. In fairness, if a team wins 8 of 9 games by fairly close margins, but one anomaly game causes the stats to show the team got outscored over the course of those 9 games, is it more accurate to say the team got outplayed over 9 games, or to say the team got badly beaten in one game but outplayed their opponent in the other 8?

I don't argue that we got outplayed in all those close games. I argue that the games were close, and winning lots of close ones probably means you're not really quite as good as your record indicates, and probably got a little lucky.

The point differential is another metric to judge the addition of Cooper by.
Highest point total of the year w/o Cooper.
Lowest point total of the year with Cooper.

The Colts game was a fluke for the offense. Martin didn't start, and then someone poked Sua Filo in the eye, and he went out. Pre poke, we drove into scoring range on our first two drives. Post poke with Redmond at LG, we didn't get in range for a score again until a very late drive that was already in fg range.

But still, 0? And it's not like Cooper was carrying what little offense we had. Elliot, Beasley, and Jarwin all had better days than Cooper.

Cooper disappeared the last 3 regular season games. Was good/ok but not great in the playoffs.

Our offense got better with Cooper. Better but not great. Not even good. And the improvement wasn't all Cooper.

If you go by yards per game for WRs, maybe Cooper sneaks into the top 10 for us. Very good, not elite.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Saw 10 pages, and I didn’t expect the responses on page 1! Time to get comfortable this might not end well. Lol

tenor.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Bad suggestion but anyways.

I think you could get a low 1st or high 2nd rounder for DLaw. A mid to low 2nd rounder for Cooper.

If we could only get a mid to low 2nd for Cooper, do you therefore think we overpaid for him in the first place, particularly since we were on a path to a 1st round teens pick when we traded for Cooper?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
To directly answer your post at least a 1st for each player, unless their contract demands are so outrageous it drives the compensation down.

They are probably worth a little bit more. Maybe as much as a 1st and a 3rd for Cooper.

Maybe as much as a 1st and a 2nd for Tank.

I'd be all over that. That's a draft and a half of draft value, with a stack of money left over to get free agents. All young guys, who we'd be first in line to sign for their first post rookie deals, or trade and churn again.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
two core pieces who are not old. It would take a haul for me to even consider. Would need 1st rounder + starting player for EACH.

Most are talking about first rounders or more. Then you're left with 35mil/yer or so left over to get some starters.

Note that a first rounder is probably starting for you. That's the expectation.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
That is reason to laugh because it's so ridiculous. Though, trading 2 contributors for 1 is the kind of engineering I expect from you armchair GMs.

Either you missed my sarcasm or you are as sharp as a bowling ball.

foofighters

Reaction score
Problem: Lawrence is injured and wants a huge contract, Gregory probably isn't back this year, and now Crawford has issues. DE is looking bad for us, with a great dline draft.

Solution?: Flip Cooper. Trade Lawrence. Use picks for the dline. Free up 40mil per year.

We gave up a first for Cooper. And I think he's exceeded expectations. Shouldn't he be worth more now?

If you thought that giving up a 1st for Cooper was a good deal for us last year, shouldn't it be an even better deal now for the team we trade Cooper to?

And for Lawrence, wasn't he considered in the top few free agents in the league? I'd expect that to net more than Cooper.

*If* you think the Cooper deal was good for us, shouldn't we get two 1sts plus out of trading Cooper and Lawrence?

You done lost your ******* mind!!!!

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
nah we were a perfect buyer for cooper

it’s possible he could be worth a first to the right situation but we need him anyways — he’s only 24 years old & looks like a perennial all pro WR
Perennial all pro??

Yall kill me. Cooper isnt a top 4 receiver in this league. Not even close.

Brown
Hopkins
Obj
Jones
Evans
Cantguardmike
Hill

elcowboi

Reaction score

Does it take a long time to come up with scenarios like this? Asking for a friend...

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
he’s 24 — younger than all those guys

he was as good as anyone since he joined our team — i expect him to only improve with an offseason under his belt

Perennial all pro??

Yall kill me. Cooper isnt a top 4 receiver in this league. Not even close.

Brown
Hopkins
Obj
Jones
Evans
Cantguardmike
Hill

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd rather keep building value and allocating resources to the critical positions than signing bad contracts that set back the team *long* term.

Neither one will get you championships. They key is being selective in signing free agents to fill needs (as in Charles Haley or Deion, though not necessarily the money level Deion got) and developing your draft picks. Trading away good players in one position to improve another is just "shuffling deck chairs on the Titantic" and just keeps a team mired in mediocrity.

But if that works, then the Steelers should be SB favorites this year after getting rid of Bell and Brown, let's see how that works out for them....

Sandyf

Reaction score
This is nothing but a fantasy theory by we fans. The reality is Dallas knew things were going to take time signing Lawrence. Lawrence will sign as soon as either Clark or Clowney sign new contracts. Those 2 contracts will set the floor for Lawrence and Dallas knows it. Based on what Flowers signed and you see what is going to happen probably with Clark and maybe Clowney. Now the other thing is if Clark and/or Clowney sign their tags and declare no deal until after the 2019 year or either or both are traded which also could happen then the floor is set and then Dallas will get Lawrence signed.

As to Cooper or for that matter Prescott, Elliott and Jones getting extensions, we probably should expect them until after Lawrence is signed because then you will know your real numbers on the cap and whether you need to rework Martin or Frederick or Smith contracts. Actually though it probably would be okay to extend Cooper and Jones which more than likely lower what their cap numbers are this year and possibly even Elliott's number but certainly not Dak's, his will need to wait until Lawrence signs.

It is just NFL business 101, and it will happen just not as fast as I want or any other fan.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
If offered the same deal with another team this year, i wouldnt take it.