What Deion Sanders is doing is wrong

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Bob Hayes. Walter Payton. Jerry Rice. Larry Allen. Steve McNair. And the list goes on.

This isn't the 1950's where a great player at a small school is off the radar and NFL teams have no idea he's there.

The Dallas Cowboys and Gil Brandt took care of that.

If the kid's good enough, and doesn't get hurt, he'll have his shot at NFL glory.

Besides, maybe he likes being the "big fish in a small pond".

Deion didn't force the kid to come to his team....

RaZon

Reaction score
Bob Hayes. Walter Payton. Jerry Rice. Larry Allen. Steve McNair. And the list goes on.

This isn't the 1950's where a great player at a small school is off the radar and NFL teams have no idea he's there.

The Dallas Cowboys and Gil Brandt took care of that.

If the kid's good enough, and doesn't get hurt, he'll have his shot at NFL glory.

Besides, maybe he likes being the "big fish in a small pond".

Deion didn't force the kid to come to his team....

There has never been a time when NFL scouts weren't aware of the college talent out there, long before the 50's. So...???

My thing is we only get one shot at this then it well be gone forever, I want my kid to experience the best college football has to offer, he won't be getting that at Jackson State, And if not for Deion good chances are he's doing what 5 star recruits do which is play major college football.

RaZon

Reaction score
Are you 12 years old?

You go watch your kid play before 12,000 vs Texas Southern, I'll go watch mine play Texas in front of 80,000.

All about memories.

5 star recruits have no business at small time programs, would think that is common knowledge.

RonWashington

Reaction score
In communist China where they probably would tell the kid where to play football that’s what they practice. Here in the USA last I checked your free to go to wherever and whatever school shows an interest in your “ 5 star “ talents.

Now if Sanders has any success coaching he will move up the food chain coach at bigger schools and sign 5 “ star talent “ to that school. Nothing to lose sleep over , I’m sure Sanders stay in the lower stratosphere of college competition is temporary .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Doug Williams did Ok . Set some SB records won a SB MVP award all while being a Grambling Tiger before a Washington NFL QB

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This kid can and almost certainly will transfer after a year or two. --my guess is back to FSU when they hire Deion after another down season.

Might be the best choice for him to get this specific educational and cultural experience.
Then go to a P5 school and prove he can compete on that level as well.

Those who have followed Deion closely know his recruiting has been strong but also quite questionable.
Only time will tell how this all plays out.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No worries, Sanders will have them all transfer to the bigtime program he ends up taking over. :D

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I want my kid to experience the best college football has to offer

The player in question ain't your kid. I get your point, but it's not up to us to judge if he made the right decision, is all I'm saying...

RaZon

Reaction score
The player in question ain't your kid. I get your point, but it's not up to us to judge if he made the right decision, is all I'm saying...

Doesn't matter if he's my kid or not, he's a kid who is fresh out of high school, think back to when you were at that stage of life, you knew nothing compared to where you are now so like all kids you can learn from those with life experiences. A kid who can play for any school he wants because of that 5 star status has no business turning that opportunity down to go to some rinkydinky program nobody cares about, it simply makes no sense of any kind. And a grown man who went to a big time program himself shouldn;t be steering any kid in that direction. If Deion approached my kid trying to have him ignore Alabama, Oklahoma, USC for Jackson State it's......sorry but he's not interested in Jackson State anymore than you were at his age, see ya~~~~

Now, if the kid is a Walter Payton fan, one of his former coachs is now at the school, if he has some legit reason to want to go there befors Deion's input that's different.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if he's my kid or not, he's a kid who is fresh out of high school, think back to when you were at that stage of life, you knew nothing compared to where you are now so like all kids you can learn from those with life experiences. A kid who can play for any school he wants because of that 5 star status has no business turning that opportunity down to go to some rinkydinky program nobody cares about, it simply makes no sense of any kind. And a grown man who went to a big time program himself shouldn;t be steering any kid in that direction. If Deion approached my kid trying to have him ignore Alabama, Oklahoma, USC for Jackson State it's......sorry but he's not interested in Jackson State anymore than you were at his age, see ya~~~~

Now, if the kid is a Walter Payton fan, one of his former coachs is now at the school, if he has some legit reason to want to go there befors Deion's input that's different.

Not our decision, don't care what you think.

Clearly we don't agree, like you said, see ya...

RaZon

Reaction score
Not our decision, don't care what you think.

Clearly we don't agree, like you said, see ya...

Don't care if you agree or not, you don't try and steer a young man away from what OBVIOUSLY is best for him, if you can't figure that out I tried. Why didn't Deion play small time football?

How many other 5 star recruits are playing or have played HBCU football?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Don't care if you agree or not, you don't try and steer a young man away from what OBVIOUSLY is best for him, if you can't figure that out I tried. Why didn't Deion play small time football?

How many other 5 star recruits are playing or have played HBCU football?

If you don't care you wouldn't keep prattling on about it, you aren't changing my mind so please just stop.

RaZon

Reaction score
If you don't care you wouldn't keep prattling on about it, you aren't changing my mind so please just stop.

It's works like this ....

We post our opinions, now you don't have to be in this thread, so instead of me doing anything, how about you simply leave, ok? You don't do what Deion is doing and it really is simply common sense.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not kept up with any of it, but my first question would be is that 5 star recruit a cornerback by chance? If so, I could see Deion promising to coach him personally and that may have had an impact on his decision.

Even if he is not a cornerback, he could play a year or two under Deion, learn from him then transfer to a major university when he is ready.

He also may have wanted to play at a university that was not recruiting him despite his 5-star ranking and maybe playing a year under Deion will help make that happen.

Again, I have no idea of the story behind who the player is or why he chose to play for Deion, but with today's college transfer portal, choosing a university is no longer a big deal as players can transfer to another university without having to skip a year like it was in the past.

College football is essentially a pick-up league now.

RaZon

Reaction score
I have not kept up with any of it, but my first question would be is that 5 star recruit a cornerback by chance? If so, I could see Deion promising to coach him personally and that may have had an impact on his decision.

Even if he is not a cornerback, he could play a year or two under Deion, learn from him then transfer to a major university when he is ready.

He also may have wanted to play at a university that was not recruiting him despite his 5-star ranking and maybe playing a year under Deion will help make that happen.

Again, I have no idea of the story behind who the player is or why he chose to play for Deion, but with today's college transfer portal, choosing a university is no longer a big deal as players can transfer to another university without having to skip a year like it was in the past.

College football is essentially a pick-up league now.

Yep, cornerback but I do doubt this kid knows all that much about who Deion was. Obviously he never saw him play other than highlight videos. Won't be seeing Willie Anderson burning Deion twice badly back in the day.

My song n' dance is with a 5 star rating this kid has probably had major schools contacting him, big schools with a national rep, they are important and big time. What parent would want their son to pass up on that for small time nobody cares at all Jackson State, as you know these HBCU schools are warm up games for the big dawgs, we see 30 point spreads in these games that is the non respect a Jackson State will get being out of the SWAC. I don't want my son wasting his time in those kinds of games or games vs Texas Southern when it could have been Texas.

Deion played big time college football, he played before 80,000, no small time football for him so let this kid experience the best NCAA football has to over just like he did, that is not Jackson State.

Huge fan of HBCU sports, right now NCA&T is ranked number one in the nation in track, that is unheard of, and loving it. Among themselves HBCU football is exciting, but.....they have no depth, or quality QB's, this level of football has never seen a 5 star recruit because they simply don't belong there.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No doubt a guy like Deion could overwelm some kid with his personality, so it's up to the parents to make sure their son does the smart thing.

I'm sure he'll transfer eventually. But I actually agree with the premise here, a 5 star athlete should eventually be playing on the big stage. But he'll probably have to dominate the competition. Plenty of 5 star recruits that do very little.