What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

malbis030347

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick

ArtClink

Reaction score
The bottom line for me is if the 49ers can’t mk Trey Lance a decent NFL QB, having some of the best offensive minds, then there’s little chance we can. We could have used that 4th round pick to fill holes in free agency. Most NFL analysts were puzzled by the move but here in Dallas no idea is too insane to entertain, right?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
49'ers were blinded by potential. IF he managed to develop well he could be a great QB. One huge factor is time, they did not have the time to do it and Purdy adapted almost instantly.

There is no telling if he gets yet another year to work on his game if he could develop into something-anything, but the odds are no he won't at this stage.

Siroky

Reaction score
Who said it’s non existent. Everything I read on lance coming out of college was prospect with potential, lack of playing time . What prevented playing time 2021 injury. 2022 injury and Brock made lance expendable after that. If he fails after actually getting. Full nfl season and really two seasons ok ( Zack wilson ) but he hasn’t had even half a season and some how he isn’t the same prospect that shannahan traded up for. Not buying into that

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Who said it’s non existent. Everything I read on lance coming out of college was prospect with potential, lack of playing time . What prevented playing time 2021 injury. 2022 injury and Brock made lance expendable after that. If he fails after actually getting. Full nfl season and really two seasons ok ( Zack wilson ) but he hasn’t had even half a season and some how he isn’t the same prospect that shannahan traded up for. Not buying into that
Is that ever going to happen?

Flamma

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
I have no idea what they saw in him. QBs like Trey Lance, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, are all questionable picks even to the casual observer. How do experts come to the conclusion these are good picks? Justine Fields and Trey Lance are two examples of first read/run QBs. Why would you even consider them for an NFL QB?

Siroky

Reaction score
Is that ever going to happen?
Get a chance to start?- i believe at some point yes. Jordan love didn’t start for 4 years and learned under one system one qb in front of him. might not be in Dallas? On the other hand Dak is starter because of an injury.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He did not even really play QB in HS. He had 55 completions and ran the ball for more yards.

His own HS coach said he was a RB.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The bottom line for me is if the 49ers can’t mk Trey Lance a decent NFL QB, having some of the best offensive minds, then there’s little chance we can. We could have used that 4th round pick to fill holes in free agency. Most NFL analysts were puzzled by the move but here in Dallas no idea is too insane to entertain, right?
I think if Purdy didn’t step up in such a big way they wouldn’t have stopped trying.
(Possibly)

Adreme

Reaction score
He had a strong arm and is mobile. Everything else the coaches probably convinced themselves they could fix. I always find that funny though as coaches are 1 for the last 20 for fixing inaccurate QBs and so they all think they have the next one.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He has a lot of raw skills. Injuries and Purdy made him expendable. This is from his draft profile:

Lance has the talent to be a good NFL starter, but given his lack of playing time and development, his pro team will need to be patient in order to not waste the raw talent that Lance possesses.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Those same 49er coaches who didn't see the value of Dak and didn't draft him in earlier rounds in the 2016 draft?

A bunch of fools they are.