What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree no draft pick is guaranteed and 4th isnt throwing away much if you dont have player already proven could have been better, and using a fourth rounder and a guy like lance isnt a big deal too me.. yeah, three first round picks are insane. that premier organization over there actually made a huge mistake and all we could talk about is jerry...
I've made mention of the logic flaw....Trey haters say "San Fran are gurus they got rid of trey for a reason".

And yet it was they that gave 3 1st rounders for him.

Does not compute.

Flamma

Reaction score
the cupboard is not empty as they say. there is actual NFL film. there is actual practice film and people in the NFL talk to each other. so there is NFL evidence of it. now, its not a lot, but if he had any talent. then it would show. the fact he has shown nothing at all, is quite concerning and telling.

what you said is just wishful thinking.
It's really just NFL film that matters. Not even preseason. But games that matter. Is there enough? I'm asking because I haven't seen much of it. But I could be wrong. I'm not a Lance fan, so I'm not trying to make excuses for him. I've seen him stink up the field maybe once or twice.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Very old as in useless information now.
The San Francisco 49ers traded up to select Lance with the No. 3 overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft, but he never lived up to expectations. Troy Aikman had to have an offensive coordinator brought in for him before he even earned the starter status. What? Dallas was stupid...or San Francisco is stupid on personnel.

No, he had to be developed into their current roles and they didn't want to wait for that.

The quick mantra as to lack of potential and too soon to be good later is similar to a fan drawing four straight cards on purpose from the bottom of a deck, intentionally. Then justifying that pointing towards an old line cowboy heroe....who here? The Rifleman, Laramie, Gun Smoke, I know, someone is sniffing out John Wayne.

To much as to base talent and growing from a limited college experince that needed grow by NFL demands instead.

This should reflect quality now in staff and coaching staff. I'll just pay attention and not doubt, myself.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
what Raw skills does he have? people keep throwing that around. 100s of college QBs have raw skills.

Lance doesn't have the talent. he was over drafted. he had limited playing experience in high school and then college. he played in small schools.
people figured out watching him practice, pre-season and NFL games that he just doesn't have it. yeah he didn't get to play full season, but it looked like a lot of struggle with him in the games he played and really didn't improve or dominate in any one area.

his ceiling is really low. if there was a draft today, he wouldn't go until 6th or 7th round.
He has a big arm, and showed a lot of deep ball accuracy. He’s mobile and still super young. It’s likely that he isn’t NFL material, given his body of work, but he didn’t cost much and still has upside potential.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree no draft pick is guaranteed and 4th isnt throwing away much if you dont have player already proven could have been better, and using a fourth rounder and a guy like lance isnt a big deal too me.. yeah, three first round picks are insane. that premier organization over there actually made a huge mistake and all we could talk about is jerry...
Listen I understand that we can criticize players and they deserve to get criticized if there not performing up to task. I just want to see the players in action and watch them grow together. To me Dak, Lance, and Rush our are quarterbacks. I am not taking sides.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Listen I understand that we can criticize players and they deserve to get criticized if there not performing up to task. I just want to see the players in action and watch them grow together. To me Dak, Lance, and Rush our are quarterbacks. I am not taking sides.
all I'm saying is let's wait until he's a failure to claim it was a bad pick, here is the dallas cowboy he hasn't got a chance yet to prove hes was worth it or not....

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The San Francisco 49ers traded up to select Lance with the No. 3 overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft, but he never lived up to expectations. Troy Aikman had to have an offensive coordinator brought in for him before he even earned the starter status. What? Dallas was stupid...or San Francisco is stupid on personnel.

No, he had to be developed into their current roles and they didn't want to wait for that.

The quick mantra as to lack of potential and too soon to be good later is similar to a fan drawing four straight cards on purpose from the bottom of a deck, intentionally. Then justifying that pointing towards an old line cowboy heroe....who here? The Rifleman, Laramie, Gun Smoke, I know, someone is sniffing out John Wayne.

To much as to base talent and growing from a limited college experince that needed grow by NFL demands instead.

This should reflect quality now in staff and coaching staff. I'll just pay attention and not doubt, myself.
Yup.

Broke his hand and leg.

Our gain.

JimmyG left for $$$.

Purdy lost a Super Bowl.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
How has he looked in person to you since we got fleeced? Looking good in OTA's? Waiting on your thoughts and analysis

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
well, why didn't they just make him the 2nd string QB? why did they trade or pick up another failed first rounder to be back up? the 5th year option is costly, but anything before that is very reasonable, specially that the bonuses had already been paid out and count against the cap anyway.

and its funny, everyone says the kid has no experience, lacks playing time, blah blah blah. so why is he worth it to invest in again? that just describes 100s of other QBs coming out of college.

no one is having a stroke, except for trancers. its pretty much known he is nothing special. his ceiling is low and now they are trying to change his throwing motion because he is not accurate!!! go figure.
Because they chose another young Qb. Name an NFL team that has kept two very young QBs as their 1st, and 2nd stringers for more than one year. Why? You don't want your chosen starter looking over is shoulder being concerned if the media, fan base, or team mates would start rallying behind the 2nd stringer if the chosen starter showed any signs of struggling.

erod

Reaction score
I have no idea what they saw in him. QBs like Trey Lance, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, are all questionable picks even to the casual observer. How do experts come to the conclusion these are good picks? Justine Fields and Trey Lance are two examples of first read/run QBs. Why would you even consider them for an NFL QB?
You could add about 500 more to that list.

QBs are extremely tough to judge out of college, especially today. They've never even taken a snap from center, read a defense, or thrown against an NFL secondary. Like finding diamonds in an ocean.

But if you don't have an top tier QB, you don't have a chance.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He has a big arm, and showed a lot of deep ball accuracy. He’s mobile and still super young. It’s likely that he isn’t NFL material, given his body of work, but he didn’t cost much and still has upside potential.
maybe. but we complain about Dak not being able to get over the top and his limitations. now we want to go with another QB that's probably not much better and is about to hit FA next year. is that the right approach to build a championship team? or perhaps sell a lot more jerseys with Lance in the back?

Chasing6

Reaction score
the cupboard is not empty as they say. there is actual NFL film. there is actual practice film and people in the NFL talk to each other. so there is NFL evidence of it. now, its not a lot, but if he had any talent. then it would show. the fact he has shown nothing at all, is quite concerning and telling.

what you said is just wishful thinking.
You are correct and what they have seen is bad. However he is a great kid, works hard and is a good athlete. Pretty sure there are thousands of kids out there that meet those requirements. Unfortunately those things alone don't make you an NFL QB.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
Everyone that knows anything about football knows this to be true.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
People are hyperfocusing on San Fran spending #1 pick and Dallas giving them a #4 pick. Now picks are important, but I think where this team struggles and in most cases suffers is using a pick and then spending endless resources trying to justify the pick. Yes we can blame the 49-ers for wasting a pick. But they took a shot, didn't work and instead of trying to make it work they moved on.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
maybe. but we complain about Dak not being able to get over the top and his limitations. now we want to go with another QB that's probably not much better and is about to hit FA next year. is that the right approach to build a championship team? or perhaps sell a lot more jerseys with Lance in the back?
Dak is going on his 9th year as QB, whatever ceiling he has was hit a long time ago.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Everyone that knows anything about football knows this to be true.
Difficult to work on your mechanics, while still trying to learn how to read a defense. However, you will see him make athletic plays scrambling and making things happen on his feet.

Bagman

Reaction score
I'm not defending Lance but how can anyone here provide a statement of success or failure for him ? We've seen him ZERO times on the field for Dallas. How much Trey Lance film does the average Zoner here have in their private film rooms ? Can we at least give him some time as an NFL player before we call him anything? I believe he has what, 5 career starts ? He's a work in progress just like every other QB with his level of experience.