What did we learn about yesterday's game

Cowboyny

Reaction score
First of all congrats to the LA Rams! Probably not one of the best SB Teams we have seen, but were excellent in crunch time throughout their run. Stafford deserves a ton of credit, so does their front 7.

So what did we learn about yesterday's game?

-Both teams were the least penalized teams in the entire league. You don't beat yourself, you have an excellent chance for success.

-Ability to stop the run without extra personnel. Neither team had much success running the football against light boxes. The only one scoring drive from the Bengals was when they were able to run the football. You can also say the same about generating a pass rush with just the front, although Rams used a lot of blitz packages to create mismatches.

-Defenses are scheming to take away the big passing plays. QB's need to stay patient, take what is given and throw in tight windows. Stafford on the final drive had to force the issue and make some difficult throws in traffic.

-Having a money kicker. Quite unbelievable that the Bengals PK didn't miss one FG throughout the entire postseason. Rams kicker was also very consistent, think he only missed 1 kick.

From the Cowboy perspective, it's pretty clear what areas of improvement are needed:

• Must become more displined team and stop committing so many self-induced penalties. This is easier said then done, accountability has to be a staple within the locker room.
  • Must fix the run game, this will open up the rest of the offense.
  • QB has to learn how to stay patient, take what is giving and have confidence to throw in tight windows, rather then holding the football, waiting to see someone get open.
  • Must be able to stop the run without extra personnel. This is the last hurdle for this defense.
  • Have to find a more reliable place kicker, one who can make all the extra points and managable FG's.
A lot to fix, but they aren't too far. Like the defense beginning of last season, if they just become the middle of the pack in penalties, that will result in more wins. If they can run a little bit, it will open the offense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • We’re not that close with our current roster
  • Both teams playing yesterday were well coached
  • Both teams completely rebuilt their rosters with smart FA moves
  • The rams have been to two SBs with two different QBs and lots of other different players.
  • The winning owners of the last 26 SBs ALL hired a GM to run their football operations.
  • Rams owner Stan Kroenke is smart enough to hire a great GM in Les Snead.
  • Rams GM Les Snead is an outstanding roster builder and he hired Rams HC Sean McVey
  • Coaching matters a ton
  • Talent alone isn’t enough

baltcowboy

Reaction score
First of all congrats to the LA Rams! Probably not one of the best SB Teams we have seen, but were excellent in crunch time throughout their run. Stafford deserves a ton of credit, so does their front 7.

-Both teams were the least penalized teams in the entire league. You don't beat yourself, you have an excellent chance for success.

-Ability to stop the run without extra personnel. Neither team had much success running the football against light boxes. The only one scoring drive from the Bengals was when they were able to run the football. You can also say the same about generating a pass rush with just the front, although Rams used a lot of blitz packages to create mismatches.

-Defenses are scheming to take away the big passing plays. QB's need to stay patient, take what is given and throw in tight windows. Stafford on the final drive had to force the issue and make some difficult throws in traffic.

-Having a money kicker. Quite unbelievable that the Bengals PK didn't miss one FG throughout the entire postseason. Rams kicker was also very consistent, think he only missed 1 kick.

From the Cowboy perspective, it's pretty clear what areas of improvement are needed:

• Must become more displined team and stop committing so many self-induced penalties. This is easier said then done, accountability has to be a staple within the locker room.
  • Must fix the run game, this will open up the rest of the offense.
  • QB has to learn how to stay patient, take what is giving and have confidence to throw in tight windows, rather then holding the football, waiting to see someone get open.
  • Must be able to stop the run without extra personnel. This is the last hurdle for this defense.
  • Have to find a more reliable place kicker, one who can make all the extra points and managable FG's.
A lot to fix, but they aren't too far. Like the defense beginning of last season, if they just become the middle of the pack in penalties, that will result in more wins. If they can run a little bit, it will open the offense.
The Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl with the Joneses in charge of team.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

We are doomed until DAL make both OL and DL better, get a new coach and a new QB. I think that sums it up.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl with the Joneses in charge of team.

Well at least with Jerry. We don't know, and will likely never know, how much control Jerry still has over the team. Stephen might (hey, it's all we have!) have done things differently the last few years had he been "the man" in charge of the team.

And as a practical manner, even if Stephen runs the team as Jerry does, no two people are alike, a few changes here and there might (hey, it's all we have!) get this team another Super Bowl....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
what I saw was 2 talented teams who went out and played to their talent level. Dallas has to learn how to win big games, they can't afford to shoot themselves in the foot. Each play matters and you can't take plays off, you can't lose the focus of the task at hand.
Having talent is needed learning how to win and playing to your abilities is the difference.

Hayseed

Reaction score
What did we learn? Honestly,....nothing. These are all things most of us knew for a long time. The game changes a little here and there over time but the principles of the game never change. Own the line of scrimmage,....own the game.

fredp22

Reaction score
didnt really learn a thing and both teams seemed far below superbowl quality level.
LA was 1 dimensional with no rushing game, 1 receiver passing game, while Stafford looked awful. I'm still wondering what Cincinnati was doing in the game.
I wouldnt study or copy either team.

RD21

Reaction score
I thought it was a boring game. Nowhere near as exciting as the Divisional, or Conference Championship rounds.

Both are well coached teams. Play calling was solid. Both teams were disciplined.

In this overly offense minded & tailored league, defense still matters. I was most impressed with how well the Defensive fronts played. The pressure the Rams got, & the Bengals shutting down the run. Wow. Both were impressive.

I think we're further away from being a legit super bowl contender, than some care to admit.

willia451

Reaction score
I learned I'm glad the Cowboys advanced only as far as they did.

They won the NFCE and made the playoffs. Yay!! Then they bowed out before the inevitable massive blow out at least sparing us that humiliation. So in that respect. I'm grateful.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If we continue with the same one, I'll agree with you. Depends who's actually in charge...with Jaylon and the rumors about Coop and DLaw could be the start of a change in working methodology.

Flamma

Reaction score
  • We need more/stronger leadership from the locker room
  • How mentally unpreparied we were to eve
  • Free agency can be an excellent tool to improving your team, but I dissagree with the Rams model
  • If I'm MM, I'm focusing my entire off season on toughness

Didn't Tampa Bay kind of have the same model the last few years? The model is certainly not ideal. But as long as your roster isn't laden with overpaid, low impact players, and you can bring in guys like Von Miller and OBJ for virtually nothing, you're probably going to have a good year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
  • We’re not that close with our current roster
  • Both teams playing yesterday were well coached
  • Both teams completely rebuilt their rosters with smart FA moves
  • The rams have been to two SBs with two different QBs and lots of other different players.
  • The winning owners of the last 26 SBs ALL hired a GM to run their football operations.
  • Rams owner Stan Kroenke is smart enough to hire a great GM in Les Snead.
  • Rams GM Les Snead is an outstanding roster builder and he hired Rams HC Sean McVey
  • Coaching matters a ton
  • Talent alone isn’t enough
Good post....however I wonder how many fans would accept that and even look to trade players like Zack (no point in keeping him if we're not going anywhere for 2/3 years).

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Well at least with Jerry. We don't know, and will likely never know, how much control Jerry still has over the team. Stephen might (hey, it's all we have!) have done things differently the last few years had he been "the man" in charge of the team.

And as a practical manner, even if Stephen runs the team as Jerry does, no two people are alike, a few changes here and there might (hey, it's all we have!) get this team another Super Bowl....
Stephen is not as flamboyant as his father but he thinks he knows football. He will probably run the team just like his father or worse. Some will tell you he is running the Cowboys now. Jerry Jr. is probably the wild card.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If we continue with the same one, I'll agree with you. Depends who's actually in charge...with Jaylon and the rumors about Coop and DLaw could be the start of a change in working methodology.
You think getting rid of Cooper and DLaw will improve the team? To me Zeke is a Jaylon type of problem for next year.