What did we learn about yesterday's game

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Don't disagree about lack of scheme/coaching. Same could be said about the OL as well.
The Cowboys have one of the better lines in the league. That mess we saw from Cincinnati with pass blocking and Los Angeles with run blocking shows it all. Coaches have to do their jobs!!!! Looking at you Paper Boy and Philbon.

fivetwos

Reaction score
what I saw was 2 talented teams who went out and played to their talent level. Dallas has to learn how to win big games, they can't afford to shoot themselves in the foot. Each play matters and you can't take plays off, you can't lose the focus of the task at hand.
Having talent is needed learning how to win and playing to your abilities is the difference.
It's also about wanting it badly.

A guy like Michael Irvin was great because had both the talent and the desire to be great.

The guys they have now want to earn a check and party like Dallas celebrities.

With the possible exception of Parsons....but he will learn quickly. I have little doubt.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
The question is the WRONG one. It shouldn't be "What did we learn about yesterday's game" ?
The question should be "What did Stephen and Jerry Jones learn from yesterday's game?"

Did they learn this if they really want to win another Superbowl?
1) Coaching matters
2) Discipline and Accountability matters
3) Dline is extremely important and can be the reason you win
4) OLine can cost you a game
5) Kickers being consistent is important
6) Players paid to be stars -- Need to be stars in the big games.
7) Stats are meaningless against weak teams. Both college and pro evaluation -- tell me how they did versus the good teams.
8) Free Agency is a tool to be utilized Wisely

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys have one of the better lines in the league. That mess we saw from Cincinnati with pass blocking and Los Angeles with run blocking shows it all. Coaches have to do their jobs!!!! Looking at you Paper Boy and Philbon.
Maybe so, but the line has to work together, one mistake blows up the play. Too many players in and out of the lineup certainly didn't help, either.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I learned that WRs like Tyreek Hill, OBJ, Cooper Kupp and Deebo Samuels have better OCs/Coaches than the Cowboys. They constantly are schemed to be in the best position to do mass destruction on defenses.

Cowboys would be smart to take notes.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Maybe so, but the line has to work together, one mistake blows up the play. Too many players in and out of the lineup certainly didn't help, either.
Brother we need to get this defense to an elite level.

quickccc

Reaction score
First of all congrats to the LA Rams! Probably not one of the best SB Teams we have seen, but were excellent in crunch time throughout their run. Stafford deserves a ton of credit, so does their front 7.

So what did we learn about yesterday's game?

- Both teams were the least penalized teams in the entire league. You don't beat yourself, you have an excellent chance for success.

-Ability to stop the run without extra personnel. Neither team had much success running the football against light boxes. The only one scoring drive from the Bengals was when they were able to run the football. You can also say the same about generating a pass rush with just the front, although Rams used a lot of blitz packages to create mismatches.

-Defenses are scheming to take away the big passing plays. QB's need to stay patient, take what is given and throw in tight windows. Stafford on the final drive had to force the issue and make some difficult throws in traffic.

-Having a money kicker. Quite unbelievable that the Bengals PK didn't miss one FG throughout the entire postseason. Rams kicker was also very consistent, think he only missed 1 kick.

From the Cowboy perspective, it's pretty clear what areas of improvement are needed:

• Must become more displined team and stop committing so many self-induced penalties. This is easier said then done, accountability has to be a staple within the locker room.
  • Must fix the run game, this will open up the rest of the offense.
  • QB has to learn how to stay patient, take what is giving and have confidence to throw in tight windows, rather then holding the football, waiting to see someone get open.
  • Must be able to stop the run without extra personnel. This is the last hurdle for this defense.
  • Have to find a more reliable place kicker, one who can make all the extra points and managable FG's.
A lot to fix, but they aren't too far. Like the defense beginning of last season, if they just become the middle of the pack in penalties, that will result in more wins. If they can run a little bit, it will open the offense

- Great point with the penalties..!
This Cowboys team is either the leading or among the most penalized teams in NFL, and wants to whine and be pitied as such vs strongly correcting it.
Sorry but it won’t change under McCarthy.

- On both sides of the ball, I saw well coached teams, Rams lost players in pass game and still schematically pass the ball well to sustain drives.
Yet we see teams and QBs like Mahomes/Dak seem lost, confused and hesitate vs heavy zone schemes.

- Anyone Notice how Rams moved around and aligned Donald to get singled (instead of doubled) vs Bengals OL ?

- Rams FG kicker did not miss any kicks .. the FG holder (Heckker ) flat dropped the snap per extra point.

- Notice how Burrows and his WRs were not scared of Jalen Ramsey and they literally went after him downfield. Beaten

- they are saying the All 22 showing on 4th and one, with Burrows looking downfield for Chase wide open for a TD after a fallen down Ramsay was beaten badly,
But that also the play Donald penetrated and swung Burrows down for an incompletion to end the game.

- Fixing the run game and better using the RBs ? I fear it’s not gonna change under both Kellen and Philibin; i'm not confident in this current team to do so..

- Interesting as in this SB, there was No rushing TD, no fumbles, and Rams turned the ball over twice, but still won the game.

75boyz

Reaction score
Showed me something that I already knew and that is a great QB can get you not only to the superbowl but almost win it with one of the crappiest front lines in the NFL.

You're not allowed to post that here. Did you not get the memo? This year's scapegoat is O-line!

Or is it Moore and then O-line?
Oh well, it changes daily.

But anyway , what Burrow did with a ten times worse line is never taken into consideration here. That elephant in the room seems to be completely ignored. And even funnier, Pollack is the o line coach too.

Lol!

Last edited:

OGCowboy

Reaction score
  • We’re not that close with our current roster
  • Both teams playing yesterday were well coached
  • Both teams completely rebuilt their rosters with smart FA moves
  • The rams have been to two SBs with two different QBs and lots of other different players.
  • The winning owners of the last 26 SBs ALL hired a GM to run their football operations.
  • Rams owner Stan Kroenke is smart enough to hire a great GM in Les Snead.
  • Rams GM Les Snead is an outstanding roster builder and he hired Rams HC Sean McVey
  • Coaching matters a ton
  • Talent alone isn’t enough
:hammer:

jsb357

Reaction score
you can't win the game in the first quarter but you
can set yourself up for losing it in the first quarter.

Give the Rams offense the ball at the 50?

Way to kick start the Rams offense coach.

:facepalm:

quickccc

Reaction score
  • We’re not that close with our current roster
  • Both teams playing yesterday were well coached
  • Both teams completely rebuilt their rosters with smart FA moves
  • The rams have been to two SBs with two different QBs and lots of other different players.
  • The winning owners of the last 26 SBs ALL hired a GM to run their football operations.
  • Rams owner Stan Kroenke is smart enough to hire a great GM in Les Snead.
  • Rams GM Les Snead is an outstanding roster builder and he hired Rams HC Sean McVey
  • Coaching matters a ton
  • Talent alone isn’t enough

the GM and HC can run that organization on their terms, their control,..their vision and their calls.
Not to Money Ball approach executives and top talking heads who strongly prefer Puppet heads and lame duck coaches.
Flat totally different surroundings and operations. :confused:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
You're not allowed to post that here. Did you not get the memo? This year's scapegoat is O-line!

Or is it Moore and then O-line?
Oh well, it changes daily.

But anyway , what Burrow did with a ten times worse line is never taken into consideration here. That elephant in the room seems to be completely ignored. And even funnier, Pollack is the o line coach too.

Lol!
this should be a sticky at the top and inside the dak lovers can post their excuse why our loser can't read the defense and when he does he's slow as a three-toed sloth in the passes.

more excuses, we need more excuses.

team leader lmao.. yep it shows that is why we are soft and suck.

75boyz

Reaction score
this should be a sticky at the top and inside the dak lovers can post their excuse why our loser can't read the defense and when he does he's slow as a three-toed sloth in the passes.

more excuses, we need more excuses.

team leader lmao.. yep it shows that is why we are soft and suck.

Yep Cap,
last I checked this year's annual hot potato blameball was some where between o-line and Moore.
But yeah, every year it does become harder to keep up because it changes so often.

I think Philbin's also been sprinkled in. And McCarthy of course.

So I guess the Joneses are now at the point where they re manipulating the blame shift goal post realignment to focusing on Cooper and McCarthy for possible future change at their 2 positions.

That Jerry, he's a crafty and clever old coot I'll give him that.

Like an advance PR damage control strategy on his part.

Weird how all these various distractions kinda takes away from focusing on the QB position.

Hmmmm...

Last edited:

CoachD

Reaction score
That the NFL is obviously fixed and you can't tell me otherwise because I posted that something would happen at the end of the game that would involve the refs and it did, right again!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Great point with the penalties..!
This Cowboys team is either the leading or among the most penalized teams in NFL, and wants to whine and be pitied as such vs strongly correcting it.
Sorry but it won’t change under McCarthy.-probably not, but MM is aware that this needs to be fixed as he stated in his last presser.

- On both sides of the ball, I saw well coached teams, Rams lost players in pass game and still schematically pass the ball well to sustain drives.
Yet we see teams and QBs like Mahomes/Dak seem lost, confused and hesitate vs heavy zone schemes.To be fair, both offenses had their struggles sustaining anything. Until the last game winning drive, Rams were shutdown.

- Anyone Notice how Rams moved around and aligned Donald to get singled (instead of doubled) vs Bengals OL ?This is how Quinn will use Parsons as a rusher, will look to find the mismatch, confident Quinn will deploy him right.

- Rams FG kicker did not miss any kicks .. the FG holder (Heckker ) flat dropped the snap per extra point.-I was talking about the entire postseason. Both were great.

- Notice how Burrows and his WRs were not scared of Jalen Ramsey and they literally went after him downfield. Beaten-this is all about confidence, remember Dak went after Ramsey in the opener 2 years ago in which Gallup got a questionable offensive PI against him.

- they are saying the All 22 showing on 4th and one, with Burrows looking downfield for Chase wide open for a TD after a fallen down Ramsay was beaten badly,
But that also the play Donald penetrated and swung Burrows down for an incompletion to end the game.QB's miss reads all the time, cannot kill Burrows missing him under pressure.

- Fixing the run game and better using the RBs ? I fear it’s not gonna change under both Kellen and Philibin; i'm not confident in this current team to do so..I think it's possible, but the lack of coaching and scheme won't help.

- Interesting as in this SB, there was No rushing TD, no fumbles, and Rams turned the ball over twice, but still won the game.
-this game reminded me when the Bengals beat the Titans, dominated their OL and two freak plays kept them in the game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Brother we need to get this defense to an elite level.
We also need an offense that can score enough points, don't turn the football over and keep elite offenses on the sidelines. I believe the Defense is close. If they can solve how to stop the run, and get interior pressure, they are there.

ICP

Reaction score
That Super Bowls can be boring even in close games

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I thought it was a boring game.

Both are well coached teams. Play calling was solid. Both teams were disciplined.
In this overly offense minded & tailored league, defense still matters. I was most impressed with how well the Defensive fronts played. The pressure the Rams got, & the Bengals shutting down the run. Wow. Both were impressive.

I think we're further away from being a legit super bowl contender, than some care to admit.
Hate this, but agreed. We need to better discipline, more OL / DL talent and better coaching. ( most of all championship defense)

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/2nd-year-in-a-row-team-with-poor-ol-lost.493756/page-2