What do any of us really know

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If it were me I would have took the top safety and used my comp 4th to trade up early in the 3rd for hill or Saunders. Why take the 15th best DT and not a top 3 safety in the draft class

The Cowboys DL being shredded is what got them knocked out of the playoffs last season and DT was the bigger need in my opinion. We can't afford to have our DL get dominated like that in postseason and the Rams appear to be a team that's not going away. The Cowboys obviously liked Hill and didn't want to risk losing him so they used their top pick on him. Some saw it as a reach but I can live with it picking at #58. Everyone has an opinion of players and until they put on the pads in the NFL no one knows for sure how they will play at the NFL level. With the rules the way they are the best pass defense is pressuring the QB. The rules favor the passing game and it's made covering receivers more difficult. If a QB has enough time they're going to find a receiver regardless of the coverage. We saw Aaron Rodgers beat us in the final seconds of a playoff game in 2016 despite good coverage.

The only way we could have prevented him from completing that pass was to sack him or get pressure in his face forcing an errant throw. If Hill can play he'll help us against the run and he'll help free up others to the QB. I agree safety is a need and it's been a need for years. There were a couple of big issues in drafting a safety with our top pick. The first issue is the Cowboys have had terrible luck hitting on a safety who can be a real impact player. The team hasn't had an impact player at safety since Roy Williams during his first few years with the team. We haven't had a great safety since Woody. The second big issue with using our top pick on a safety is we have a log jam at the position. There's no point in taking a safety if they aren't clearly better than what we have. Had we drafted a safety with our #2 they might not see the field much if any this season.

Even if Hill can't start he'll be part of our rotation which will give him plenty of opportunities to play this season. With Witten, Quinn and Cobb all playing on one year deals and with 30 something players contracts being up after this season, 2019 could be boom or bust for the Cowboys. It's important that our top pick gets on the field this season and provides immediate help because the window is open now and it may not be after this season. The team could look very different after the 2019 season with so many players contracts being up.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If we're being honest...

tenor.gif

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So for humor this morning I spent time ready through a thread from last years draft. I am lmao at all the same draft exports on this board who was complaining about LVE is now complaining about Hill. I laugh all the time at uninformed experts. We don’t have the tools, resources or expertise as a NFL team but yet we still form an opinion on very little substance.

I love "should've taken so-and-so a round later" because of course they know he would still be available a round later. It's almost as good as the "trade down!" guys who seem to think you can just trade down any time you like, apparently without even having another team wanting to trade up.

This year's draft threads should be just as entertaining a year from now. :muttley:

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
The average fan and people in this board/site gather their information by actually reading and watching other scouts talk about them. They are not doing the dirty work on every prospect in the draft by watching every snap of his career, talking to old coaches etc. just people running their mouth and don’t know shiz

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
So for humor this morning I spent time ready through a thread from last years draft. I am lmao at all the same draft exports on this board who was complaining about LVE is now complaining about Hill. I laugh all the time at uninformed experts. We don’t have the tools, resources or expertise as a NFL team but yet we still form an opinion on very little substance.

There are a lot of familiar names in this thread and most are here again this year whining about our pics.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you-know-everything-really-does-point-to-lve.401549/
:lmao2: hilariously astute observation my highly esteemed fellow forum member:bow:

:lmao::thumbup::lmao:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Hahahahaha. Bobby Carpenter.
Hahahahaha.
I do think it's funny that we get so sure of opinions.
I dont know about you guys, but I have a full-time job, a side gig, twin 14 year old boys, and friends, so I have like 30 minutes a night to watch highlights and read articles, but all of sudden, I'm a draft guru and Will McClay ain't got nothing on me! :)
* that pretty cool about having twin 14 y.o. boys, as I've a couple of twin boys cousin's named Johnny & Ronnie from my uncle Goob's side ,down in Arkansas ( tho, uncle Goober left a vapor trail straight to Jamaica during the KOREAN conflict circa 1950:()

jay94

Reaction score
Yes I dont think the vast majority of analysts and scouts will call this wrong, is there a possibility? Of course just like winning the lottery, likely? No.

cern

Reaction score
nothing wrong with having an opinion. in fact they keep the sales of couches and arm chairs meteoric. where would rooms to go be without fan sites? sometimes we're right. sometimes we're wrong. just like professional scouts and gm's. I prefer leather.